1 hour ago, londonbnd said:

Question: I've officially accepted one of my offers and I was notified of the funding package. It's decent but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about or thought about considering a grad loan to live more comfortably? Pros/cons? I don't have any undergrad loans so I don't think it would hurt me too much but I'm still indecisive. 

PS - Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to those still waiting!!

Congrats on the acceptance!

I will ask the students in the program what their cost of living is like in the Area first. I would be worry about taking out loans because I don't think you will get great interest rates on them plus it's not like you will make a lot of money in the first 3 years of a PHD haha. 

7 hours ago, Savannah_C said:

Looking for some opinions here, I've applied to Teach For America and have a final interview next week. My other options, if I don't get into a program, are working in an I/O related field or getting some more research experience before I apply to another cycle. Do any of you have opinions on what might be best in terms of applying next cycle? I love Teach For America's mission but I've never imagined myself as a K-12 teacher. I think it would be helpful if I become a TA in graduate school. I could always use more research experience, though. And on the other hand, a full-time (good) paying job would be LOVELY lol. 

I'm still hoping for admission into a program, but I've decided with how many schools I've been waitlisted, I should have a back-up plan. 

If it's always been a dream of your to do Teach for America, then you can always spin it like the other responder said to apply to preparing for presentations/teaching. BUT if you're just doing it because it's a nice thing to do before applying again then you might be better off getting research experience. In my experience with visiting schools and interviews it's people's research experience (even if not IO related directly) that stood out the most to faculty. I'd suggest researching local universities or hospitals to see if anyone needs research assistants/techs. A lot of research hospitals have behavioral/psychology departments that may be looking for research techs. Next best would be getting IO related field experience. Maybe there are private research firms or consulting agencies around you! Overall, in my opinion and from experiences, research experience will beat teaching every time (though maybe a counseling or community psych program would look fondly on Teach for America, I don't think IO programs would think much of it). 

Also worth mentioning that so many people in IO do want to go applied (depending on the program of course), they sometimes have a hard time finding people who even want to teach classes so it might not take that much to get a TA spot. 

On 3/20/2019 at 7:16 AM, BeckyPsych said:

I just discovered this forum and I'm so glad I did because I can know more about the status of the colleges and it brought me a little peace having these updates so I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here.

That being said, I'm losing my mind waiting to hear back from colleges and am so nervous because I haven't heard at all from a couple of schools I applied to.

Does anyone here know anything or have heard back from BGSU, Virginia Tech, and University of Georgia? Any idea when we'd know? I'm really very apprehensive and don't know when I should be accepting a decision. All of them say decision is pending. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance and all the best to everyone here xx

I know a person in the program at Virginia Tech and it appears they've extended out all of their admission invitations. If you haven't heard back, you're likely on a back-up waitlist in case the students that were admitted decline the admission. In my experience, that typically means that you'll get a rejection from that university. It happened to me with the University of Georgia the first time I applied to programs.  Good luck!

Thank you, everyone, for the advice! I decided I'll go through with the TFA interview and see if I'm accepted/ make decisions from there.

Has anyone rescinded offers yet? Not sure of the timeline for that, just curious! 

Thanks for letting me know @coffeemonstar

It really isn't great news for me then I guess. All I can do now is hope that I'm high on the waitlist and people cancel. Has anyone on a waitlist actually ever gotten in though?

Is Virginia Tech super competitive btw? Do you think chances of getting in are even possible? Because with University of Georgia, waitlist seems like a lost cause. But do you think it is a bit better with Virginia Tech maybe? I really want to get in this year and am hoping something works out ?

I've yet to hear from ODU or PSU. I've seen that a few people have inquired about their admission status directly. I'm a little nervous to do this thinking that it might (for some silly reason) hurt my chances if I just don't wait like everyone else. If you've sent an email to a POI inquiring about admission status, and don't mind sharing, what exactly did you say in the email? 

Edited by kokocoffee

4 hours ago, BeckyPsych said:

Thanks for letting me know @coffeemonstar

It really isn't great news for me then I guess. All I can do now is hope that I'm high on the waitlist and people cancel. Has anyone on a waitlist actually ever gotten in though?

Is Virginia Tech super competitive btw? Do you think chances of getting in are even possible? Because with University of Georgia, waitlist seems like a lost cause. But do you think it is a bit better with Virginia Tech maybe? I really want to get in this year and am hoping something works out ?

Last year I was on 3 waitlist and got offers at 2 of the schools which I turn down. So depending on the competitiveness (I don't know anything about Va tech) you can have a decent chance so don't lose hope!

1 hour ago, kokocoffee said:

I've yet to hear from ODU or PSU. I've seen that a few people have inquired about their admission status directly. I'm a little nervous to do this thinking that it might (for some silly reason) hurt my chances if I just don't wait like everyone else. If you've sent an email to a POI inquiring about admission status, and don't mind sharing, what exactly did you say in the email? 

I don't see any harm in asking! Just mention how you are wondering about your status (maybe mention you have an offer somewhere) and tell them you are still very interest in the program and would like any update. I am sure the grad admissions people will understand being anxious about info. 

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

Edited by Joegeo

3 hours ago, kokocoffee said:

I Would recommend sending an inquiry! I emailed my POIs for Penn state and ODU and was notified of my rejection for both. I tried to email the general department at Penn but never got a reply, so POI might a better bet. 

Thank you so much @Joegeo. That really helps me a lot and gives me a bit of hope. Just one last question. Do you by any chance remember the time period or month when you got offers from the schools that waitlisted you? Also, how did you know you were waitlisted? Had you written to your POI for it? Thanks in advance!

20 minutes ago, BeckyPsych said:

Thank you so much @Joegeo. That really helps me a lot and gives me a bit of hope. Just one last question. Do you by any chance remember the time period or month when you got offers from the schools that waitlisted you? Also, how did you know you were waitlisted? Had you written to your POI for it? Thanks in advance!

Sent you a DM

Hi everyone. I've used this forum for a couple months now, and I just wanted to thank everyone for the ongoing information and support provided here, it has helped so much throughout the process. This week, I accepted an offer of admission to George Mason's I/O psychology MA program. I'm extremely excited, and looking forward to it very much. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to all those waiting to hear back from schools! Thanks again everyone! :)

2 hours ago, FingersCrossed101 said:

Hi everyone. I've used this forum for a couple months now, and I just wanted to thank everyone for the ongoing information and support provided here, it has helped so much throughout the process. This week, I accepted an offer of admission to George Mason's I/O psychology MA program. I'm extremely excited, and looking forward to it very much. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to all those waiting to hear back from schools! Thanks again everyone! :)

Congrats that is a great program!

15 hours ago, BeckyPsych said:

Hey, did you ever hear back from them?

I did yeah sorry! Both BGSU and USF sent a pithy reply saying they made an offer to a small number of candidates in February (about a month ago now) and I'd been waitlisted and to please wait to hear from them. 

I followed up asking if they could relay where I am in the waitlist or which faculty have made successful pairings already - USF basically reiterated the first message and BGSU never got back to me.  

Edited by crovanika

14 minutes ago, crovanika said:

I did yeah sorry! Both BGSU and USF sent a pithy reply saying they made an offer to a small number of candidates in February (about a month ago now) and I'd been waitlisted and to please wait to hear from them. 

I followed up asking if they could relay where I am in the waitlist or which faculty have made successful pairings already - USF basically reiterated the first message and BGSU never got back to me.  

Yea that does suck. Hopefully, your accepted offers at least puts some ease to you during this stressful time!

12 minutes ago, Joegeo said:

Yea that does suck. Hopefully, your accepted offers at least puts some ease to you during this stressful time!

Yes definitely! I also had an interview with my POI from Clemson today and I felt really good about it - so keeping my fingers crossed

Edited by crovanika

12 minutes ago, OddIsEven said:

Gosh, being waitlisted at 6 programs is tough. 

Anyone else waiting until the last minute before making final decisions? 

I can only imagine the stress. If it helps I think next week people will start making their final decisions at least in my experience so try hanging in there and remember you only need 1 yes!