31 minutes ago, crovanika said:

Just wondering... Since many have the happy dilemma of choosing between 2 or more programs of interest, I wonder if there are forums dedicated to this topic. Has anyone come across something like this anywhere online? 

In terms of how people decide between programs or in terms of getting more specific details between the programs?

I guess It could be blend of those topics? There may not be any true or objective answers, since the dilemma between choosing program A vs B is down to quality, fit, reputation...etc. Since places like Gradcafe exist, I wondered if maybe people have discussed their woes/information/opinions regarding which uni to choose.

9 minutes ago, crovanika said:

I guess It could be blend of those topics? There may not be any true or objective answers, since the dilemma between choosing program A vs B is down to quality, fit, reputation...etc. Since places like Gradcafe exist, I wondered if maybe people have discussed their woes/information/opinions regarding which uni to choose.

Ah  I see https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/116066-waitlist-and-help-me-decide-thread-2019/ maybe this will work?

Or for more general help this might be more useful

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/54-decisions-decisions/

36 minutes ago, OddIsEven said:

Did Michigan State just release their results? 

idk im so confused.... My portal says out to department for review and I didn't get an email or anything.... :(

But people keep posting about it.

I just formally accepted my offer to Albany for their I/O psych program! I am very excited to start and work with my advisor who seems great.

I could have waited to hear back from the last remaining schools but I really think this is the best program. Thank you all here for the kind words and I hope you get a similar joy come April 15 :)

Just got back from a spring break trip out of the country and Texas A&M has posted their results on the portal.. denied. Congrats to all who got in! 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:06 PM, azumarills said:

idk im so confused.... My portal says out to department for review and I didn't get an email or anything.... :(

But people keep posting about it.

I'm the one who last posted on MSU. I sent an email to Ms. Brooke inquiring about the status of the application, and a week later I received an update on the portal in the form of a message to my account, which included the rejection template. So, I'm not sure if this message was a result of my question to the department or not.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:56 AM, Waiting2See said:

I wanted to know if you all had any advice...do you all think it's better to make an offer to a decent/good PhD program or to go to a top/great master's program (and then reapply to a PhD at some point after)? I've only received one acceptance to a PhD program and my first choice offered me a master's instead of a PhD and I'm a little bit torn on what to do

I just wanted to add a piece of info. If you get your Master's at X university and decide later to apply for PhD at Y university, you'll most probably be able to just transfer 9 credit hours to the new program in addition to the thesis, which could be equivalent to a semester of studying. This means that the overall time spent at schools would be 2 + 4.5 in average.

I just discovered this forum and I'm so glad I did because I can know more about the status of the colleges and it brought me a little peace having these updates so I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here.

That being said, I'm losing my mind waiting to hear back from colleges and am so nervous because I haven't heard at all from a couple of schools I applied to.

Does anyone here know anything or have heard back from BGSU, Virginia Tech, and University of Georgia? Any idea when we'd know? I'm really very apprehensive and don't know when I should be accepting a decision. All of them say decision is pending. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance and all the best to everyone here xx

2 hours ago, BeckyPsych said:

I just discovered this forum and I'm so glad I did because I can know more about the status of the colleges and it brought me a little peace having these updates so I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here.

That being said, I'm losing my mind waiting to hear back from colleges and am so nervous because I haven't heard at all from a couple of schools I applied to.

Does anyone here know anything or have heard back from BGSU, Virginia Tech, and University of Georgia? Any idea when we'd know? I'm really very apprehensive and don't know when I should be accepting a decision. All of them say decision is pending. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance and all the best to everyone here xx

From experience last year UGA had me on a waitlist but they did not provide many updates unless I emailed the perspective POI about my status so I will suggest trying doing that. But UGA is very competitive so I am not sure how likely it is to get off their waitlist (I got rejected last year like April 8th)

Best of luck and hopefully you already have a program!

2 hours ago, BeckyPsych said:

I agree with @Joegeo. I just emailed my POI of UGA and they let me know I was on their waitlist. They said I was on their general waitlist but I was two students away from being on the short waitlist. Not sure how great my chances are with that being said, but I'm hopeful! I'm in the same boat with BGSU, I would email your POI. 

Ahh, thanks for letting me know. So I guess if I haven't heard back from UGA yet then I really shouldn't get my hopes too high about it? And any clue what general and short waitlists are then?

By any chance do you or anyone have any clue about BGSU and/or about Virginia Tech? I don't have a program yet and my hopes were all relying on these three schools and it's getting very daunting.

Edited by BeckyPsych

9 minutes ago, BeckyPsych said:

Ahh, thanks for letting me know. So I guess if I haven't heard back from UGA yet then I really shouldn't get my hopes too high about it? And any clue what general and short waitlists are then?

By any chance do you or anyone have any clue about BGSU and/or about Virginia Tech? I don't have a program yet and my hopes were all relying on these three schools and it's getting very daunting.

I don't want to be too negative since my experience last year doesn't mean it happens this year but UGA is very highly regarded so it's tough to see a lot of applicants turning down those spots (especially since you are not on the shortlist).

I think the general waitlist for top program is more like break glass if an emergency situation where the programs have more people than they figure to turn down their offers and have to go deeper into their applicant pool. I believe this was my spot with USF this year where they have not rejected me but since they have not contacted me it feels like they don't really want me unless it's a desperate spot. 

Sorry for being such a downer and best of luck!

No no, don't worry about it. Thanks for letting me know like it is because I think I need to be prepared for the worst. 

Fingers crossed though that something works out. If anyone has any idea about BGSU and/or Virginia Tech, would really appreciate it too!

Looking for some opinions here, I've applied to Teach For America and have a final interview next week. My other options, if I don't get into a program, are working in an I/O related field or getting some more research experience before I apply to another cycle. Do any of you have opinions on what might be best in terms of applying next cycle? I love Teach For America's mission but I've never imagined myself as a K-12 teacher. I think it would be helpful if I become a TA in graduate school. I could always use more research experience, though. And on the other hand, a full-time (good) paying job would be LOVELY lol. 

I'm still hoping for admission into a program, but I've decided with how many schools I've been waitlisted, I should have a back-up plan. 

42 minutes ago, Savannah_C said:

Looking for some opinions here, I've applied to Teach For America and have a final interview next week. My other options, if I don't get into a program, are working in an I/O related field or getting some more research experience before I apply to another cycle. Do any of you have opinions on what might be best in terms of applying next cycle? I love Teach For America's mission but I've never imagined myself as a K-12 teacher. I think it would be helpful if I become a TA in graduate school. I could always use more research experience, though. And on the other hand, a full-time (good) paying job would be LOVELY lol. 

I'm still hoping for admission into a program, but I've decided with how many schools I've been waitlisted, I should have a back-up plan. 

Well, this year I worked with a private company that was basically had me teaching middle school math and you can spin that as it being helpful in the I/O because you need to learn presentation skills etc. Not sure how much it help me other than using it to reinforce my interest in going to academia. 

Question: I've officially accepted one of my offers and I was notified of the funding package. It's decent but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about or thought about considering a grad loan to live more comfortably? Pros/cons? I don't have any undergrad loans so I don't think it would hurt me too much but I'm still indecisive. 

PS - Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to those still waiting!!