4 minutes ago, Joegeo said:

Hi was it a mass rejection email or did you check the portal thing?

And congrats on your acceptance!

It was a mass rejection email. If you didn't receive it, you may be still in the running!

And thank you!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

It was a mass rejection email. If you didn't receive it, you may be still in the running!

And thank you!!!!!!!

I am not sure if I will go to Penn State even if offered but it can't hurt the self esteem to get another acceptance :)

7 minutes ago, laura_0h said:

Anybody have any updates from either UMN, Clemson, or Omaha? 

Nothing on my end from Clemson. Didn't apply to the other two. 

I got rejections form PSU, CSU, and Houston, in the past few days.

My Penn State portal says and application has been reached, but no specifics. 

I contacted Clemson and they said I am on the waitlist. If anyone who has been accepted to Clemson is reading this, it would be amazing to know whether you are going to accept or not. Clemson is my first choice and has the person/people I am dying to work with!!

11 minutes ago, crovanika said:

I was in touch with my POI a a few weeks ago, and she said 'we may not be able to accept students this year'. But I thought she meant that only her lab might not be able to accept students ? I agree with @tryingtostayafloat in that case lol. 

Man, I didn't even apply to Houston and I am on #teamrefund with y'all. How can you even open your application portal without assurance of at least accepting a singular student.

I get angry when I apply to a program to work with a specific PI and after I paid for the application the POI emails me to say they won't be taking students so I can't imagine how you guys/gals feel about a whole program not taking anybody.

There should be refund unless Houston can somehow prove that there was nobody who applied who meets their standards of an applicant (Which can't be true since I am sure some person who get in Michigan State tier program applied to Houston as a backup)

On 3/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, OddIsEven said:

Can anyone verify the Houston issue? 

The current graduate students have been told that the program won't take new students.  The Houston program has two new faculty members and the remaining professors took two students last year.  New professors don't take students their first year. Houston's situation wasn't clear until this month.  When I applied to graduate school, I didn't get replies from several schools and late rejections.  The academic market for hiring professors is late Fall/early Spring, which affects incoming graduate students after they've already applied.

Faculty and program situations change quite often and usually occur after graduate school applications.  These situations are outside of a program or POI's control.  In the Fall, programs and POIs may have fully expected to take students, but situations change.

Edited by IOpener

On 3/5/2019 at 1:13 AM, dohee said:

Has anyone heard from Georgia Tech, Penn State and Columbia University?

I just got my rejection letter from Columbia today

On 3/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, laura_0h said:

Anybody have any updates from either UMN, Clemson, or Omaha? 

UMN replied back to my email mentioning that top selected candidates were contacted already.

So I've received contact from all of the graduate programs I applied to. I'm at the weird point where now I have to wait for everyone else to make their decisions before anything changes on my end. 

If any of y'all have offers from any of the programs I'm waitlisted at (found below), and you genuinely don't want to attend, I beg you to drop them! 

Applied: Bowling Green CSU LSU Clemson UCF Houston UGA Auburn Florida Tech 
Accepted Waitlisted Rejected 

Edited by OddIsEven

I wanted to know if you all had any advice...do you all think it's better to make an offer to a decent/good PhD program or to go to a top/great master's program (and then reapply to a PhD at some point after)? I've only received one acceptance to a PhD program and my first choice offered me a master's instead of a PhD and I'm a little bit torn on what to do

1 hour ago, Waiting2See said:

I wanted to know if you all had any advice...do you all think it's better to make an offer to a decent/good PhD program or to go to a top/great master's program (and then reapply to a PhD at some point after)? I've only received one acceptance to a PhD program and my first choice offered me a master's instead of a PhD and I'm a little bit torn on what to do

If your end goal is a PHD then I will take the offer now if you think it's a good program for you in terms of prestige/funding/research interest.