2019 MPH CANADA

DAM

5 hours ago, Shawna said:

14 days from your official offer which is the date on the letter in your email / mailed. 

I have yet to hear from SFU, and am wondering when/ if they will start sending out second round of offers soon.

12 hours ago, Doms said:

I have yet to hear from SFU, and am wondering when/ if they will start sending out second round of offers soon.

I got accepted on March 13th, meaning I had to accept or decline my offer by March 27th, so I'd assume if people decline they would be sending out offers to fill those spots very soon. 

I have been stalking this thread since the end of February - so I thought I would contribute. I got a call today at 3:45pm from Western MPH regarding my acceptance. The coordinator said that she would send out a formal email soon outlining expectations and that I would need to make a decision by May 15th! 

Edited by ohnanawhatsmyname
Spelling

26 minutes ago, ohnanawhatsmyname said:

I have been stalking this thread since the end of February - so I thought I would contribute. I got a call today at 3:45pm from Western MPH regarding my acceptance. The coordinator said that she would send out a formal email soon outlining expectations and that I would need to make a decision by May 15th! 

Congrats!! Is your portal updated yet? 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:15 PM, ritsmph said:

I was rejected by UBC MPH today :(  and now I feel quite pessimistic about my other MPH applications (Waterloo, Guelph, and Lakehead). 

I was wondering if having professional or research experience plays play a big role in your acceptance? I would like to know this for future applications. 

I only had volunteer experience at hospitals and retirement communities.

I can only speak to Waterloo but professional experience is very important. When I applied, they asked for at least 1 year of professional public health experience. Volunteer would count towards that though

1 hour ago, bve5 said:

Congrats!! Is your portal updated yet? 

Thank you! And no, it’s not. The person I spoke with did mention that the next step would be changing the status on the portal and sending an email that a change has been made so I anticipate it will happen in the next few days! 

7 hours ago, ohnanawhatsmyname said:

Congratulations

On 4/1/2019 at 6:02 PM, Doms said:

They have waitlisted people, I received an email on March 27 about it. 

31 minutes ago, londonfogg said:

They have waitlisted people, I received an email on March 27 about it. 

Did you receive an email saying you are on the waitlist? Or did you contact them? 

I have yet to have any communication from them.

5 hours ago, Doms said:

Did you receive an email saying you are on the waitlist? Or did you contact them? 

I have yet to have any communication from them.

They emailed me saying that I am on the waitlist.

Hopefully that will be good news for you then!

Hey folks. Just stumbled across this forum. Good to see an MPH community on here. 

I'm a 2019 Fall prospective. I applied to several Unis in the MPH programs, but just UoA in Canada.

University of Alberta (Canada) - Accepted on Jan 31

Erasmus Europubhealth+ MPH (Europe) - Accepted on March 8

Karolinska Instituet (Sweden) -  Waiting list

Uppsala University (Sweden) - Accepted today

University of Bergen/University of Oslo/NTNU (Norway) - No decisions yet

I am planning to proceed to enroll at UoA. Any fellow UAlberta aspirants here? Would love to get acquainted. 

Hey, does anybody know if westerns tuition ($36,000) is worth the program? I have accepted my offer to queens but got accepted to western yesterday via phone call. Debating if the western tuition is worth the CEPH accreditation. 

Edited by Toofster7

1 hour ago, Toofster7 said:

Hey, does anybody know if westerns tuition ($36,000) is worth the program? I have accepted my offer to queens but got accepted to western yesterday via phone call. Debating if the western tuition is worth the CEPH accreditation. 

two of my close friends did this program. one, who graduated a year ago is now doing a phd offered through this program and has a great supervisor. the other one who is now in the program LOVES it and says every aspiring physician should take it as brings a holistic approach to medicine (but i guess that applies to all mph) and is also doing practicum abroad and is potentially part of an international research article that will be published. another aspect it that it is just one year. both are in so much debt tho lol. however, all profs personally ask to be your references because they know you so well. if you get a shitty group tho then your life sucks is what they said. 

Just now, kuttychathan said:

two of my close friends did this program. one, who graduated a year ago is now doing a phd offered through this program and has a great supervisor. the other one who is now in the program LOVES it and says every aspiring physician should take it as brings a holistic approach to medicine (but i guess that applies to all mph) and is also doing practicum abroad and is potentially part of an international research article that will be published. another aspect it that it is just one year. both are in so much debt tho lol. however, all profs personally ask to be your references because they know you so well. if you get a shitty group tho then your life sucks is what they said. 

also for practicums out of 60 only 4 or so are paid. sigh. 

Hello,

I'm new here and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on SFU MPH and U of T DLSPH health promotion.

I've been accepted to SFU MPH with entrance scholarship and still under review for U of T, but received an email indicating that the "program will make a strong recommendation". Which to me sounds like I am halfway in, but not really hahaha. 

What are your thoughts on SFU MPH vs U of T health promotion in regards to employability overseas, student support, and collaborative work?

I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers!

I just got waited listed for Guelph MPH. The email reads:

"The MPH Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and has recommended that your application to the Master of Public Health (MPH) program be placed on the wait list. Your chance of receiving an offer of admission is dependent on the number of first list candidates that accept their offers. We received over 300 applications for 25 spots in the program.  It was highly competitive and you should be congratulated on your great application package"

Does anyone have any insights on the chances of being accepted to the program?