Favorite podcasts ?

CharlieR

I actually responded to a past post about podcasts and I've linked to that post below. I mention quite a few podcasts I really like since I listen to them all the time lol! Story collider is totally one of my faves too! Most of the ones I mention are not about grad school or research but they are really great podcasts! Also I've given a listen the podcast in the title of the other post, Hello PhD, and its pretty good. I haven't listened to it a ton but I have liked what I've listened to so far from them.

I love Story Collider and Hello PhD both! I definitely recommend scrolling through the episode titles for Hello PhD; the discussions are very useful, but can also be very situational to different seasons of grad/science life. For my science news, I listen to AAAS's Science Magazine podcast.

I've also gotten really into podcasts recently. I don't listen to anything focused on research or grad school life, but here are some of my favorites:

- My #1 podcast recommendation is always You Must Remember This, which covers "the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century." Each episode is so thoroughly researched, well produced, and super engaging. 

- For interviews, I've been getting into Death, Sex & Money, as well as How to be Amazing (w/ Michael Ian Black). 

- For all things pop culture, I like Slate's Culture Gabfest. 

- For deep dives into American political history, I like The RFK Tapes and Slow Burn.

- For discussions on creative writing/literature, check out Longform (in-depth interviews with writers), or Poetry off the Shelf (all things poetry...obviously).

Edited by slouching

• 2 weeks later...

News/Politics:
Radiolab Presents: More Perfect
Stay Tuned wtih Preet
This American Life
Trump, Inc.
What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law
Arms Control Wonk
Human Interest or entertainment:
Criminal
Radiolab
Ear Hustle
I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats

Fictional or nonsensical:
Welcome to Night Vale
Everything is Alive
Sleep with Me (for putting my active mind to sleep)

• 3 weeks later...

great thread!

JRP's probably my favorite. He's a great interviewer. I thought howard stern was able to get people to get people talking, but Rogan is WAY better.

I'm also subscribed to a few other ones that only really curb to my interests, like star talk, bigger pockets, jocko willink (that dude's intense..) or something like that. 

friend told me about jordan peterson's podcast. if I ever listen to him, I'd have to not be doing something else, because it takes me some more processing to really absorb what he's talking about. but damn he speaks some good truths.

• 4 weeks later...

I've probably listened to more podcasts than a human being ever should, and by far, my favorite is the Memory Palace.

Great podcast if you love history.

• 2 months later...

Great recommendations! I really love Hardcore History (especially if you like history, per Neist's comment)

Also, shameless plug, but my friend and I have a podcast targeted towards grad students/science enthusiasts called Paper Boys 
We read and discuss the research papers behind popular science in the news, and we also do a "grad student highlight" to help people see who the "researchers" are behind a lot of our science.

• 3 weeks later...

My current favorites are:

• The Joe Rogan Experience (perspectives on pop culture and hobbies I may not know much about)
  • Jocko Podcast (focused on war, workouts, and self-discipline; good for motivation)
  • The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast (discussion of social constructs, politics, and personality)

I don't listen to any of them on a regular basis. I tend to pick ones that have interviews with people I may already know of or discussions about ideas I'm curious about. They can be abrasive for some people, but I find that it's good to hear perspectives I wouldn't normally get in the softer ivory tower.

24 minutes ago, Monochrome Spring said:

My current favorites are:

• The Joe Rogan Experience (perspectives on pop culture and hobbies I may not know much about)
  • Jocko Podcast (focused on war, workouts, and self-discipline; good for motivation)
  • The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast (discussion of social constructs, politics, and personality)

I don't listen to any of them on a regular basis. I tend to pick ones that have interviews with people I may already know of or discussions about ideas I'm curious about. They can be abrasive for some people, but I find that it's good to hear perspectives I wouldn't normally get in the softer ivory tower.

I love all three of those!

Not a podcast, but Philip Guo has an excellent Youtube channel where he talks about the grad school experience (time management, goal setting, job searches, impostor syndrome etc.) I appreciate his frankness as well as the personal experiences he draws from; it is definitely reassuring to hear a tenure-track professor speak so vulnerably about his own struggles.

He does have his own podcast though, which has some episodes about graduate school, but is mainly about computer science.

• 1 month later...

For podcasts for the PhD experience, check out:

• Blk + In Grad School
  • BIJTG
  • Personal Finance for PhDs
  • PhD (in progress) Podcast
  • PhD Career Stories
  • PhDivas
  • Rock Your Research with Chris Jones
  • STEMCulture Podcast
  • The Ph.D. Life
  • The Research Her