MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, justaylor said:

I received a second email about financial aid at UC Irvine but still havent heard anything at all from any other schools or anything else from Irvine.  

I got this email as well and was finally able to log in. Looks like it was just to confirm they received all the necessary financial aid documents.

12 minutes ago, riso_hell said:

Hi all, I got a call from a UCLA faculty member last night who wanted to talk about my portfolio and asked a few other questions. He indicated that finalists would hear back from them in about a month. Caught me totally off guard and the connection was bad but it went well hopefully!

What area did you apply to? Do you know which faculty member it was?

1 hour ago, MjamesPDX said:

Dude, good luck!!! Tell us how it went :)

Thanks!! 

It was for MICA Rinehart School of  Sculpture. I think it went okay! It was just one interviewer and she asked mainly about my subject matter and pieces. She asked what I thought my most successful and least successful pieces were. She also asked the standard why do you want to go to grad school, why our school, etc. At the end she asked me what other schools I applied to and what would be the determining factor on my decision of which school I would pick if accepted to multiple programs.

I am however beating myself up a little bit about one of my answers. I told myself in the beginning of this process that I was going to be honest, even if the answer wasn't favorable. I was asked to further explain why I want to go to graduate school and part of my response detailed how in undergrad I sequestered myself from my class mates and tended to work from home. I went on to talk about how at this point in my life I really would like to be part of an artist community, and work around my peers in order to grow. I think she might have been disappointed in that response, as I showed her that at times I have been less than outgoing. I'm hoping it doesn't weigh too heavy on the final decision. Other then that I think it went alright, I can't change it now so I guess I will be content about the interview.

Good luck to everyone with interviews and those who have already been accepted! This is getting real and is very intimidating but so exciting! 

Rejected from Northwestern and Yale, and SAIC painting (offered a spot in post-bacc), haven't heard from SAIC sculpture (assumed rejection), Accepted into PAFA, and interviews at MICA and SFAI. Still waiting to hear from Hunter and Rutgers and Berkeley. Has anyone heard from any of those?