MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

19 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

So far I’ve applied to Yale, Tyler (hit from Philly on my website), SAIC, Carnegie, UConn (hit from    Mansfield CT), SMFA. Still left to submit apps to: MICA (already got hit on website, been in pretty close contact with them throughout), Tulane, GSU, and possibly Purchase. Yes, I’m one of the supposedly rare kind that is applying to 10 schools. Spent 2 years researching schools and still couldn’t narrow it down. Yes, it is laborious. My theory is that a couple schools I likely won’t get into, a couple schools aren’t ideal so my decision hinges on the aid packages, a couple locations aren’t ideal, so again, it depends on the aid package, and one school is a safety in case something crazy happens and I need to/want to stay in Atlanta. I’m 34 and a bit jaded, I know the politics often involved in this process, I have experienced the untimely unexpected events that screw plans up, and I’ve seen the unheard of strokes of luck. So, I’ll take my chances :) 

Anyone else get website hits? I told myself I wasn’t gonna freak out in anticipation but here we are ??‍♀️

I applied to 9 schools! Knowing that admissions chooses cohorts that work together (obviously varying by school), really made me think it would be better to cast a wider net. Luckily just by showing up to some online portfolio reviews and meeting with admissions folks who were travelling city to city, I received admissions waivers. Highly recommend those avenues and signing up for their online information in order to take advantage of those as resources to help cover costs. 

I have also been checking my analytics but am honestly more confused by some of the international hits I have had - one from Kyrgyzstan? Definitely didn't apply there haha.

I think we are all going a little crazy right now, and definitely for good reasons, but I want to say I’m super happy with this forum this year. I’m loving how supportive and informative it is. I know we all applied to some of the same schools and we are all cheering for each other and it’s super good to see! I think at this point, let’s lift each other up and share self care techniques and reads and things that could calm us all down. Cause honestly. This isn’t the end of the world! We all have super bright futures and what will be will be! Super thankful for all of you all and knowing I’m not going through it alone!

im starting a thing. UNTIL WE START HEARING FROM SCHOOLS, PRACTICE SELF CARE! and share your pics here :) we gotta stay healthy, mentally and physically yall. wether its pics of pieces youre working on, books youre reading or practices that help you stay calm. share it! we are all going through hell now, lets try and help each other! here´s mine hahah face masks 4ever.

IMG_1573.jpg

I mean, yes, I am stressed and obviously thinking a lot about admissions (hence me checking this thread everyday...), but I have a lot of peace of mind knowing that whatever happens with admissions, I will still have my art.

Gatekeepers to the art industry have faded considerably in the last several years. Additionally, so far in my life I have constantly created, no matter what less-than-desirable circumstances my life has been in. A yes or a no from a program won't really affect that.

I say all that, but obviously I really want to work toward an MFA.

Hello all,

This is my second time around. Last year I attempted to apply to 9 of the big league school's painting programs and I was able to get into 2. 

I did not receive enough funding to be able to attend either. 

I was weeks away from graduating undergraduate school during my MFA application process last year, so I don't think I devoted as much time and care as I could have.

There is a lot more riding on an MFA acceptance this year, so I've aimed toward some schools with more realistic acceptance rates for me. 

I've struggled mentally and physically this past year, but I gave everything I had left to give to these applications. The biggest issue this year has been finding funding for application fees (still not sure how I'll pay for one of the three remaining fees).

I wish luck to everyone!

My official list:

MASSART - Submitted 

Columbia College - Chicago - Submitted

Portland State - Submitted

SVA - Submitted

Colorado State - Needs app. fee paid

VCU - Submitted

MECA - Submitted 

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - Needs app. fee paid

CCAD - Needs app. fees paid 

Edited by Karisjns

7 hours ago, Karisjns said:

Hello all,

This is my second time around. Last year I attempted to apply to 9 of the big league school's painting programs and I was able to get into 2. 

I did not receive enough funding to be able to attend either. 

I was weeks away from graduating undergraduate school during my MFA application process last year, so I don't think I devoted as much time and care as I could have.

There is a lot more riding on an MFA acceptance this year, so I've aimed toward some schools with more realistic acceptance rates for me. 

I've struggled mentally and physically this past year, but I gave everything I had left to give to these applications. The biggest issue this year has been finding funding for application fees (still not sure how I'll pay for one of the three remaining fees).

I wish luck to everyone!

My official list:

MASSART - Submitted 

Columbia College - Chicago - Submitted

Portland State - Submitted

SVA - Submitted

Colorado State - Needs app. fee paid

VCU - Submitted

MECA - Submitted 

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - Needs app. fee paid

CCAD - Needs app. fees paid 

I totally understand about the app fees. I could hardly come up with the money for my last two and had to borrow it from my girlfriends mom ? the others I was given fee waivers. You’ve probably already check about fee waivers but that’s how I was able to submit three of mine. 

Hey all, Its nice to see people gettin together somewhere in this whole process. I had been alone in it for the most part and it was pretty maddening. I started with a list of schools but none of them really felt right at this state besides one. I decided to just apply to Yale's Photo program. Here's to hoping the best for all of us!

32 minutes ago, theway said:

hey guys, I applied to UCLA and I have already submitted my application, but recently I cannot open my UCLA supplemental page, do any of u guys have the same problem?

Maybe it means they’re reviewing apps? I haven’t tried logging into any of my things out of fear of catching a glimpse of a spelling mistake somewhere and having a full breakdown haha

As a heads up tho - UCLA usually gets back to finalists 2nd week of February for painting. Is that the area you applied to?

1 hour ago, miamirose said:

Hey all, Its nice to see people gettin together somewhere in this whole process. I had been alone in it for the most part and it was pretty maddening. I started with a list of schools but none of them really felt right at this state besides one. I decided to just apply to Yale's Photo program. Here's to hoping the best for all of us!

I think it's good to follow your gut! Have you been graduated for a while? I hear they don't like to admit people who have just graduated. 

1 hour ago, theway said:

hey guys, I applied to UCLA and I have already submitted my application, but recently I cannot open my UCLA supplemental page, do any of u guys have the same problem?

Same thing here. I bet it's taken down for reviews and to prevent any further submissions? Some of these application systems are older. 

16 minutes ago, cransam said:

I think it's good to follow your gut! Have you been graduated for a while? I hear they don't like to admit people who have just graduated. 

I've been out of undergrad for almost 4 years now. I've been working in the fast fashion world since but its been pretty draining and soul sucking and I finally had enough and decided a change was needed. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:53 AM, justaylor said:

im starting a thing. UNTIL WE START HEARING FROM SCHOOLS, PRACTICE SELF CARE! and share your pics here :) we gotta stay healthy, mentally and physically yall. wether its pics of pieces youre working on, books youre reading or practices that help you stay calm. share it! we are all going through hell now, lets try and help each other! here´s mine hahah face masks 4ever.

IMG_1573.jpg

lol yes!!! I took a very long candlelit bath the other day and it was the best. Recently took a dance class, and rode my bike :) all the things that make my body / me happy and take my mind of the waiting. Also if you're in California like me and have coastal access: take yourself to the BEACH (or any form of nature) for me is so stress relieving!

applied for the 2-yr graphic design program at Yale and ArtCenter. Considering Gerrit Rietveld Academie and Werkplaats Typografie. Maybe Cranbrook?

Anyone else here apply for graphic design ?

Edited by auxcord

12 hours ago, bluetooth said:

applied for the 2-yr graphic design program at Yale and ArtCenter. Considering Gerrit Rietveld Academie and Werkplaats Typografie. Maybe Cranbrook?

Same here,  I have only applied to Yale so far but I’m also considering applying to the Gerrit Rietveld academy for the last two years of their 4yr BA programme

6 hours ago, prodmod said:

Just got a call from the director of grad studies at UIC with an offer of admission for their MFA!

Congrats!! That's amazing!! Did you do an interview at all or was this based entirely on your application?

22 hours ago, bluetooth said:

I applied for a graphic design mfa too. I applied to 10 schools. Was only going to apply to 4 then realized how small the programs were and how low the acceptance rates were so I panicked and applied to a bunch. So far I’v only heard from 2 schools.  I got accepted to SCAD via email earlier this week!! Was so excited and surprised to hear so early!  I interviewed at Temple, Tyler last week via Skype. Still waiting to hear from saic, sva, mica, Yale, risdi, vcu, Rutgers, and Tulane.  

It’s really cool that your looking at other countries. I really wanted to do my mfa in Europe, but had a hard time finding US accredited programs in Europe. Ended up applying to all US schools but a few have study abroad or summer programs in other countries. 

13 hours ago, tee_lemon said:

Is anyone going to try and apply to a residency during the summer before school (hopefully ?) starts?! 

I lined up a residency at the Vermont Studio Center for this June! A friend of mine that recently finished his MFA did a residency there, and since then has gotten accepted to several other programs. So, a good way to get your foot in the door! 

Where are you thinking of applying?

18 hours ago, prodmod said:

Just got a call from the director of grad studies at UIC with an offer of admission for their MFA!

I’ve heard of people getting phone calls before emails, I’m living in Spain and my American number isn’t in service right now, does anyone think that’s a bad thing? I’m probably just being paranoid but  Haha I can’t stand thinking that maybe a phone call could be missed and it would look bad?