Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Hi All, 

Super new to this, but wanted to share in case anyone else is waiting to hear! Also, reminder that each POI has a different time frame!! I find it super odd I got an email this early? Has anyone else heard from Ryerson? 

Ryerson University, MA Clinical Psychology. Invite on Dec. 28, 2018, via email for a Skype interview! 

6 minutes ago, Psych_101 said:

Hi All, 

Super new to this, but wanted to share in case anyone else is waiting to hear! Also, reminder that each POI has a different time frame!! I find it super odd I got an email this early? Has anyone else heard from Ryerson? 

Ryerson University, MA Clinical Psychology. Invite on Dec. 28, 2018, via email for a Skype interview! 

Congrats! Would you be willing to share your POI?:)

2 hours ago, Psych_101 said:

Hi All, 

Woot congrats! :) Best of luck with the interview! I didn't apply to Ryerson but maybe Canadian unis are notifying people earlier nowadays? 

Received my first Skype interview invite - I am beyond thrilled!! Wasn't expecting one this week at all. 

School: University of Calgary
Type: MA/PhD Clinical Psychology
Date of Invite: January 2, 2019
Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype interview
Interview date(s): This week

She let me know that the Open House will be February 8-9th 2019, for the two short-listed candidates who make it past the Skype interview portion.

14 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Received my first Skype interview invite - I am beyond thrilled!! Wasn't expecting one this week at all. 

School: University of Calgary
Type: MA/PhD Clinical Psychology
Date of Invite: January 2, 2019
Interview date(s): This week

She let me know that the Open House will be February 8-9th 2019, for the two short-listed candidates who make it past the Skype interview portion.

Heyy Congrats!! :) Best of luck with your interview!

My POI from York just let me know she'll be reviewing apps within the next couple weeks. I know York is notorious for letting people know just days before the open house in Feb... Be aware that every POI is different, but just an FYI :)

1 minute ago, Neurophilic said:

My POI from York just let me know she'll be reviewing apps within the next couple weeks. I know York is notorious for letting people know just days before the open house in Feb... Be aware that every POI is different, but just an FYI :)

Oh! Exciting! Did you by chance apply to the clinical developmental program?

Does anyone have any idea when Acadia University (MSc) meets to shortlist? Congratulations to everyone who has been receiving interviews! Although we are technically all competition, it feels nice to see good news popping up already.

Oops forgot to post this info earlier for Dalhousie University:

School:  Dalhousie University 
Type: PhD Clinical Psychology
Date of Invite: December 7, 2018
Interview date(s): Week of December 10th

Was officially offered "early admission" before Christmas. 

FYI was told that the Clinical Committee met before Christmas. Graduate Committee meets in mid-January. Was informed to be on the lookout for notification of status in late-January :)Hope this helps ya'll!

17 minutes ago, FallGO said:

Hello guys, 

I wonder how much does funding play a role in POIs and committee's decisions? Would I be strongly disadvantaged if I'm not qualified for any external funding? 

Thanks!

Hey, 

I believe the general consensus is that POIs and the committees prefer you apply for all funding that you qualify for. Not only does that demonstrate tenacity, but it also lessens the financial burden that the universities need to commit to (since there is a minimum level of funding, if students receive other funding that exceeds the minimum, then the less money the uni has to give you). I was informed that applying to the CGS-M assisted in my acceptance at Dalhousie as the Committees like seeing that (albeit it is too early to know about the results of the federal competition). :)

Edit: This is not to say you are not competitive. I would assume fit with professor/lab, what have you, is instrumental as well. This is my first application season so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by Mickey26

51 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Hey, 

I believe the general consensus is that POIs and the committees prefer you apply for all funding that you qualify for. Not only does that demonstrate tenacity, but it also lessens the financial burden that the universities need to commit to (since there is a minimum level of funding, if students receive other funding that exceeds the minimum, then the less money the uni has to give you). I was informed that applying to the CGS-M assisted in my acceptance at Dalhousie as the Committees like seeing that (albeit it is too early to know about the results of the federal competition). :)

This is a great explanation, heard this from a few different people and its pretty logical so at this point I think its fact LOL. This is the case for external funding anywhere, schools always like it if you're less of a burden and show potential of bringing in $$$ from external sources because thats something you'll have to do throughout your PhD basically (and entire career if you want to do research)

1 hour ago, FallGO said:

Hello guys, 

I wonder how much does funding play a role in POIs and committee's decisions? Would I be strongly disadvantaged if I'm not qualified for any external funding? 

Thanks!

It is important, but definitely not the only factor at play. For what it’s worth, I was accepted to two programs without applying for funding (I was eligible but had a mix-up with my application). One PI had tons of grant money and was a perfect research fit, and the other program was very well-funded. My outcome could’ve been very different if the programs had problems funding their students. 

Dont worry about it too much. Your research experience and GPA are more important. 

11 minutes ago, hsnl said:

It is important, but definitely not the only factor at play. For what it’s worth, I was accepted to two programs without applying for funding (I was eligible but had a mix-up with my application). One PI had tons of grant money and was a perfect research fit, and the other program was very well-funded. My outcome could’ve been very different if the programs had problems funding their students. 

Dont worry about it too much. Your research experience and GPA are more important. 

37 minutes ago, higaisha said:

This is a great explanation, heard this from a few different people and its pretty logical so at this point I think its fact LOL. This is the case for external funding anywhere, schools always like it if you're less of a burden and show potential of bringing in $$$ from external sources because thats something you'll have to do throughout your PhD basically (and entire career if you want to do research)

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

Hey, 

Edit: This is not to say you are not competitive. I would assume fit with professor/lab, what have you, is instrumental as well. This is my first application season so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank  you guys for all of your input!!! super helpful :) 

I now just can't stop imagining all the worse scenarios. Gotta do something to keep my sanity!

on the topic of applying for external funding, OGS is so complicated school-to-school, at this point I'm waiting to see if I get interviews before I apply. How are y'all going by this?

4 minutes ago, higaisha said:

on the topic of applying for external funding, OGS is so complicated school-to-school, at this point I'm waiting to see if I get interviews before I apply. How are y'all going by this?

All of the schools I applied to had a deadline of Dec 1 for OGS. So I had no choice but to apply before knowing if I'd be considered.

8 minutes ago, higaisha said:

I'm not sure if this was the right way to go about it, but once I wrote my CGS proposal for Dec 1st I modified it slightly for each OGS application and submitted them all. York and UOttawa were due Dec 1st (as was NSGS for Dalhousie) but the rest have deadlines in January/February/March. I would say to just get it off your plate and submit an application for wherever you applied. It's also helpful to be able to say you applied for funding if they do contact you for an interview. 

19 minutes ago, higaisha said:

I'm also waiting to see if I get interviews before applying (with the exception of York, which was just a single "Part A" form to fill out if you already applied for CGS)! I also found it super confusing and, being that the deadline is after I would expect to hear back from schools, figured waiting was probably the best choice ?

Edited by chopper.wife
Elaboration