Hi! I am applying to EdS program for Fall 2019. I hope to apply to PhD program after I finish EdS because I do not think I am qualified for PhD candidate now. I have applied to University of Minnesota Twin Cities, University of Florida, University of Washington, Ohio State University and Lehigh University. And there will be three more schools in January. 

I used APA website to search for APA-credited programs. Although they are all PhD programs, I think it is better to choose a school which provides both EdS and PhD based on my academic plan. And then I just used school websites and program handbooks to learn more information ( curricula, professor's area of expertise, etc. ).

It is great to know there are other people who are applying to school psychology, too!

As an international student, I am quite nervous since it seems that some programs haven't admitted international students in the past.

Good luck to everyone! 

Hi Everyone! I applied to a few programs both in school psych and clinical psych. The school psych programs are University of Utah (one of my top but the biggest change and move since I'm in FL), James Madison University (Combined clinical and school), University of Virginia, and UNC Chapel Hill. I also applied to Michigan State, Ohio State and UNC Chapel Hill for clinical psych. 

This wait is killing me too!! It's exciting to hear some of you have already received interviews! At least we're mostly done with the application process (waiting for LOR was so anxiety provoking!). Good luck to everyone! 

On 11/30/2018 at 1:15 AM, Medule said:

yeaaah UNC-Chapel Hill! I'm there now in that program :)

Exciting to have someone on the thread who is in! How do you like the program? Any insider info as far as application process?

On 12/13/2018 at 9:57 AM, psychedaboutschoolpsych said:

I'm debating UB (since I already work with the professor who I want to be my advisor and love her) and UNL, which I deemed as my "reach" school but just heard from them two days ago and I have an interview with them on January 14th! But I am taking it how it comes and keeping an open mind about all of them!

Congrats in the interview at UNL! I’m a current student in the program!! 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, ASDadvocate said:

Hi Everyone! I applied to a few programs both in school psych and clinical psych. The school psych programs are University of Utah (one of my top but the biggest change and move since I'm in FL), James Madison University (Combined clinical and school), University of Virginia, and UNC Chapel Hill. I also applied to Michigan State, Ohio State and UNC Chapel Hill for clinical psych. 

This wait is killing me too!! It's exciting to hear some of you have already received interviews! At least we're mostly done with the application process (waiting for LOR was so anxiety provoking!). Good luck to everyone! 

Not sure if you've ever visited, but Utah is beautiful! I went to Weber State in SLC for my master's and I loved the area. The mountains are gorgeous. Good luck!

2 hours ago, rachelg19 said:

Not sure if you've ever visited, but Utah is beautiful! I went to Weber State in SLC for my master's and I loved the area. The mountains are gorgeous. Good luck!

I've never been to Utah! That program is one of my favorites and I'm hoping to get interviewed. It might take a little more convincing for my husband because it's the furthest for us but we're hikers/campers so I hope the mountains are convincing enough. Thank you for the insight! And good luck to you!

Hey everyone!

I want to compare my credentials because I applied to December 1st deadline and am absolutely terrified I will not get an interview! I applied to UMD, UMASS-Boston, UCONN and University of Georgia. I will be applying to Fordham, Kean and Rutgers. 

I have a 3.98 GPA from SBU, 3 co-authorships on a publication, presentation and poster, and a first author on a poster. I am currently a research coordinator in psychiatry, and have strong letters of rec. BUT low GRE scores because I do poorly on standardized tests. Do you think my GRE scores will kill my chances of getting an interview?  

Any opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

14 hours ago, kbar1016 said:

Hey everyone!

I want to compare my credentials because I applied to December 1st deadline and am absolutely terrified I will not get an interview! I applied to UMD, UMASS-Boston, UCONN and University of Georgia. I will be applying to Fordham, Kean and Rutgers. 

I have a 3.98 GPA from SBU, 3 co-authorships on a publication, presentation and poster, and a first author on a poster. I am currently a research coordinator in psychiatry, and have strong letters of rec. BUT low GRE scores because I do poorly on standardized tests. Do you think my GRE scores will kill my chances of getting an interview?  

Hi! I have one interview so far for University of Tennessee, but I don't think most of the schools I applied for are as competitive as the ones you did. I'm not that familiar with those on your list. I applied to UT, UK, and UNC for school psych and Eastern Kentucky and Spalding for clinical. I'm happy to share my info with you though. I had an  unimpressive but not bad gpa in undergrad, BS in psych. I got a master's in health administration and had a gpa of 3.89. I took the GRE a few years ago, 151, 151 and a 4 on writing. I don't have any research experience (eek), but I have an interesting employment history that I'm hoping helps me out. I worked for several years in group homes with adults with developmental disabilities. I then worked for Children's protective services for a while. Now I'm the program supervisor at a community mental health organization and oversee a day program, work program, community services team and group home all for people with developmental disabilities or mental illness.

From what I've read, they look at GRE and have cutoffs, but if you are excellent in other areas they will usually look past the GRE. That's the schools I've applied to, anyway. Obviously I'm no expert, but I think you sound very competitive. Good luck! UT and UK were my only programs due on December 1st....I've heard from Tennessee like I mentioned but nothing yet from UK.

Edited by rachelg19

Thank you so much for your opinion and letting me know your background. I think you applied to great programs! I was seriously considering UK and am regretting not applying there. I love their social justice initiative. Also, congratulations on your interview! You seem to have a lot of experience in other areas which will be an asset in a program. I hope you hear back from more schools! Also, have you considered Psyd programs too? Usually they are due in January.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:31 AM, kbar1016 said:

Hey everyone!

Hi! Although I didn't apply to PhD, I did see on the school websites that they say the admission evaluation would be a holistic process, namely GRE score is only one part of them. You got good GPA and great research experience, which will definitely compensate for your GRE scores in some extent. Also, some schools may offer the option to write a GRE statement to explain why you didn't get satisfying score. Perhaps you could try it. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, kbar1016 said:

Thank you so much for your opinion and letting me know your background. I think you applied to great programs! I was seriously considering UK and am regretting not applying there. I love their social justice initiative. Also, congratulations on your interview! You seem to have a lot of experience in other areas which will be an asset in a program. I hope you hear back from more schools! Also, have you considered Psyd programs too? Usually they are due in January.

Thank you! Yes, Eastern KY and Spalding are both psyd programs. I did hear from UK that I was rejected, but that's okay, need to stay positive! :) Best of luck to you.

On 12/16/2018 at 4:29 AM, Sibyl Suo said:

Hi! I am applying to EdS program for Fall 2019. I hope to apply to PhD program after I finish EdS because I do not think I am qualified for PhD candidate now. I have applied to University of Minnesota Twin Cities, University of Florida, University of Washington, Ohio State University and Lehigh University. And there will be three more schools in January. 

I used APA website to search for APA-credited programs. Although they are all PhD programs, I think it is better to choose a school which provides both EdS and PhD based on my academic plan. And then I just used school websites and program handbooks to learn more information ( curricula, professor's area of expertise, etc. ).

It is great to know there are other people who are applying to school psychology, too!

As an international student, I am quite nervous since it seems that some programs haven't admitted international students in the past.

Good luck to everyone! 

I'm applying to UF as well. I received an email yesterday that said they will be inviting people to interviews in about 3 weeks. I responded to the email quickly. Academic flirting. :D

I am only applying to UF this year. I live in Florida and would get in-state tuition. I didn't like any of the other Florida programs. But seeing so many good programs on here, if I don't get in this year, I will have lots of options to try again next year. 

Hi there! I'm applying to both Ph.D. and Ed.S. programs in School Psychology! As far as Ph.D. programs go, I am applying to the University of Arizona, the University of Washington, Northeastern University, UC Berkeley, UC Riverside, Columbia, and the University of Oregon! I am applying to some Ed.S. programs in California, but haven't decided which ones I will be applying to just yet.

I am anxiously awaiting responses from schools about (hopefully) receiving an interview! Good luck to all applying! :)

Edited by schoolpsychologyfan

17 hours ago, Leighannimal said:

I'm applying to UF as well. I received an email yesterday that said they will be inviting people to interviews in about 3 weeks. I responded to the email quickly. Academic flirting. :D

I am only applying to UF this year. I live in Florida and would get in-state tuition. I didn't like any of the other Florida programs. But seeing so many good programs on here, if I don't get in this year, I will have lots of options to try again next year. 

I received that email, too! It is great to know the process of admission, which definitely makes me less nervous. Some other schools I applied haven't sent any notification of review or invitation so I guess the only thing I could do is wait. 

It is wonderful to go to the school where you live! UF seems quite nice when I read their website. I didn't look at other Florida programs but it is likely that the USF programs is great based on the posts of previous years. You may know those schools better than me since you live there haha.

Good luck!

Is anyone applying to or familiar with the school psych program at University of Utah? I noticed from the results page that they reached out on Dec 24 in past years regarding interviews. I was hoping to hear something from them by yesterday. This is one of my top schools so I’m burning a whole through my email looking for that one in particular ?

Edited by ASDadvocate
Added program

20 hours ago, Soaryu said:

I received an invite from Temple University and UMass-Boston so far! I'm pretty excited and it certainly eased my anxiety for the holidays, haha.

Congrats on your invites! I received one for Ohio State University’s IDD Program and it’s already in a couple of weeks on January 8th. When are yours? How are you preparing for them? 

4 hours ago, Sibyl Suo said:

I received that email, too! It is great to know the process of admission, which definitely makes me less nervous. Some other schools I applied haven't sent any notification of review or invitation so I guess the only thing I could do is wait. 

It is wonderful to go to the school where you live! UF seems quite nice when I read their website. I didn't look at other Florida programs but it is likely that the USF programs is great based on the posts of previous years. You may know those schools better than me since you live there haha.

Good luck!

USF is a great school, I'm sure their program is good. Its just too close to home for me. I need a little distance, but its always an option for a second try. Reading all these forums is making me think I should have started earlier and had a wider net. But, its a good experience no matter the outcome. 

Good Luck to you as well. Oh! I also found this website in all my anxiety induced searches.  http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/prospective-students/phd-program-profiles/   It has some helpful information.

12 hours ago, Leighannimal said:

USF is a great school, I'm sure their program is good. Its just too close to home for me. I need a little distance, but its always an option for a second try. Reading all these forums is making me think I should have started earlier and had a wider net. But, its a good experience no matter the outcome. 

Good Luck to you as well. Oh! I also found this website in all my anxiety induced searches.  http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/prospective-students/phd-program-profiles/   It has some helpful information.

There is limited information about School Psychology when I search via Google. I found these forums just a couple of days ago as well. Better late than never:lol:

Thank you! This website is really helpful though I am applying for EdS.

It seems that the there were fewer and fewer students applying during the past few years, which means the chance of being admitted is greater. I hope this trend will be the same for this year:P

On 12/17/2018 at 8:31 PM, kbar1016 said:

Hey everyone!

First of all, I applied to UMD too! Second, your qualifications are amazing, so most, if not all, of the programs will not focus on your GREs as much (unless some schools have mandatory minimums, most of the time they just show the average of their students' scores). Good luck!!

So I am new to this forum and not sure how to respond yet. @ASDadvocate I also applied to University of Utah and it is one of my top choices. I am trying not to get discouraged because I haven't heard anything yet and I also saw from last year that they reached out on Xmas Eve. Hopefully we hear something soon!

I have two interviews lined up...one for January and one for February, which I'm super excited for!! One of these schools is in my top choices as well. :)

Good luck!

Edited by schoolpsyched4

1 hour ago, schoolpsyched4 said:

So I am new to this forum and not sure how to respond yet. @ASDadvocate I also applied to University of Utah and it is one of my top choices. I am trying not to get discouraged because I haven't heard anything yet and I also saw from last year that they reached out on Xmas Eve. Hopefully we hear something soon!

I have two interviews lined up...one for January and one for February, which I'm super excited for!! One of these schools is in my top choices as well. :)

Good luck!

I was feeling anxious too but noticed no one has posted anything on the results page. I imagine they’ll reach out starting Tuesday at this point. UoU is one of my top choices too. Who’s your POI? Mine are AF and KR. Hope to see you there for interviews!! ?? Congrats on your interviews! Good luck ? 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, ASDadvocate said:

I was feeling anxious too but noticed no one has posted anything on the results page. I imagine they’ll reach out starting Tuesday at this point. UoU is one of my top choices too. Who’s your POI? Mine are AF and KR. Hope to see you there for interviews!! ?? Congrats on your interviews! Good luck ? 

I was sad to see that someone receives an interview invite from Michigan state. I had three top schools and that was one of them. So I’m crossing my fingers for Utah! As for POI I put KR and EC. Good luck!!