6 hours ago, Sibyl Suo said:

Thanks! Lehigh university. I checked the NASP website and found that in Pennsylvania certification is only given to US citizens. :(

That's super disappointing. But you could go to Lehigh, then move. I live in AZ and I believe we license non US citizens. There have been a few people come through the program here that aren't citizens yet. I would check into it! Where are you from, out of curiosity? If you are bilingual, that's awesome. We need more bilingual psych's. 

On 1/25/2019 at 5:29 PM, rachaelpfanz said:

UF interview was not stressful at all!! The atmosphere is super chill and everyone just goes with the flow. Like come prepared with what you want to say, but honestly relax, it's super laid back. You get your own personal scheduled of around 5 individual interviews, one being with a pair of grad students. No crazy questions, just the normal grad school questions, why UF, why school psychology, and about your background. Prepare as many questions as possible because you will run out because they answer all your questions iimmediately. After getting even more information I definitely want to go there. They said we should get a decision sometime after the February 1st interviews. 

How many people were in your interview group?

For anyone who applied to UNC Chapel Hill's program: I just called and the faculty are just now starting to review applications. Expect to hear from the program within 2-3 weeks from the application deadline. Possibly earlier, but that is their estimate.

3 hours ago, sun&stars said:

For anyone who applied to UNC Chapel Hill's program: I just called and the faculty are just now starting to review applications. Expect to hear from the program within 2-3 weeks from the application deadline. Possibly earlier, but that is their estimate.

I just received an invitation for a phone interview today...PhD program. Good luck!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, thecalendar said:

If it's a program in Ohio, I have applied to it. My preferences would be OSU, UC, or Miami.

Quick question to everyone considering school psychology programs - which states offer paid internships? I am fortunate enough that Ohio does that for anyone doing a program but surely they can't be the only one. Basically, does your state do that?

I'll be attending the university of Tennessee beginning this fall and from what they said on our interview day, their students receive paid internships.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, schoolpsyched4 said:

That's super disappointing. But you could go to Lehigh, then move. I live in AZ and I believe we license non US citizens. There have been a few people come through the program here that aren't citizens yet. I would check into it! Where are you from, out of curiosity? If you are bilingual, that's awesome. We need more bilingual psych's. 

That's a good suggestion! But I'm not sure whether there are some differences between the requirements of certification in different states ( I guess there are) which may make moving process difficult. Wow that sounds great! Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm from China and Mandarin is my mother tongue, is this kind of bilingual? I know some programs with bilingual orientation in Spanish. Chinese seems not to be a widely used language in US. Anyway, it is very nice of you to come up with all these ideas. Thank you!

On 2/1/2019 at 5:41 PM, Sibyl Suo said:

That's a good suggestion! But I'm not sure whether there are some differences between the requirements of certification in different states ( I guess there are) which may make moving process difficult. Wow that sounds great! Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm from China and Mandarin is my mother tongue, is this kind of bilingual? I know some programs with bilingual orientation in Spanish. Chinese seems not to be a widely used language in US. Anyway, it is very nice of you to come up with all these ideas. Thank you!

So once you are an NCSP (National Certified School Psychologist), it is very easy to move between states. I looked at the AZ requirements and they will license non-US citizens so thats great news. I'm sure there are a lot of other states that will too. As for being bilingual, there are many programs in Spanish....I don't know of any in Mandarin. But once you go through your program, you can research which tests are in Mandarin and then give them. The program will teach you how to learn new tests so you could teach yourself how to give one in Mandarin. Mandarin isn't as widely used as Spanish but I think it is used in larger cities with higher Chinese populations. I am originally from Chicago and it is more commonly spoken there. Also, San Francisco has a large Chinese population. NYC might...I haven't been. It is just a great asset to have because there may be parents and children that don't speak English. Good luck!!!

12 hours ago, schoolpsyched4 said:

So once you are an NCSP (National Certified School Psychologist), it is very easy to move between states. I looked at the AZ requirements and they will license non-US citizens so thats great news. I'm sure there are a lot of other states that will too. As for being bilingual, there are many programs in Spanish....I don't know of any in Mandarin. But once you go through your program, you can research which tests are in Mandarin and then give them. The program will teach you how to learn new tests so you could teach yourself how to give one in Mandarin. Mandarin isn't as widely used as Spanish but I think it is used in larger cities with higher Chinese populations. I am originally from Chicago and it is more commonly spoken there. Also, San Francisco has a large Chinese population. NYC might...I haven't been. It is just a great asset to have because there may be parents and children that don't speak English. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much! It's good news indeed! It is such a relief. Many thanks! Best of luck on your application process!

Thought I'd check it since I haven't for quite some time.

Got rejected from Loyola. Kinda disappointing, but it is what it is. Haven't heard anything back from UVA or USC. I was rejected from Georgia State but was offered an interview into their masters program which I think went well. I did receive an interview offer for Fordham's PhD program, which I'm excited for. I actually got to go to the open house and speak to some people; if I get it, it'll be a good fit (and mean that I could live at home and save money).

Kinda focusing on my current degree right now, but still hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, Sibyl Suo said:

Thank you so much! It's good news indeed! It is such a relief. Many thanks! Best of luck on your application process!

NYC Native here.

NYC has a huge and constantly growing Chinese population, especially in the Flushing area of Queens. New York is also one of the few states to offer bilingual certification for School Psychologists, but I'm not sure if it's only in Spanish or if Mandarin is one of the languages (but I know teachers can get certified bilingually in English and Mandarin). Hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, tashaonthemoon said:

NYC Native here.

NYC has a huge and constantly growing Chinese population, especially in the Flushing area of Queens. New York is also one of the few states to offer bilingual certification for School Psychologists, but I'm not sure if it's only in Spanish or if Mandarin is one of the languages (but I know teachers can get certified bilingually in English and Mandarin). Hope that helps.

Thank you! It's great to know these possibilities. Good luck on your interview! Interview seems to be a process of matching ( both to the student and to the school) so I'm sure you'll go somewhere you really like.

Just received an email this morning from UNC Chapel Hill's school psychology program for me to complete a qualtrics survey by Feb. 10th in reference to potential funding opportunities for which I might qualify. This is the first email I receive from this particular program. Wondering if this means I will be interviewed/considered for admittance. I'm not really sure how this particular program does it. Has anyone else received any similar emails from Chapel Hill or any other program?

31 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

Just received an email this morning from UNC Chapel Hill's school psychology program for me to complete a qualtrics survey by Feb. 10th in reference to potential funding opportunities for which I might qualify. This is the first email I receive from this particular program. Wondering if this means I will be interviewed/considered for admittance. I'm not really sure how this particular program does it. Has anyone else received any similar emails from Chapel Hill or any other program?

Yeah I got the same email this morning and have no idea what to make of it...

24 minutes ago, sun&stars said:

Yeah I got the same email this morning and have no idea what to make of it...

Gotcha! I wonder if this something that everyone receives and whether it plays a role in being considered. Guess we'll find out soon!

Has anyone heard from Ohio State? I see on the results search 2 people got interviews for the Ed.S program. I'm getting antsy because UF PHD is my top choice so I am hoping that I will get accepted there and if OSU invites me for an interview I can just decline and accept UF. But OSU Ed.S is supposed to be my backup in case I don't get into UF so I would at least like to hear they want me for an interview. 

1 hour ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Has anyone heard from Ohio State? I see on the results search 2 people got interviews for the Ed.S program. I'm getting antsy because UF PHD is my top choice so I am hoping that I will get accepted there and if OSU invites me for an interview I can just decline and accept UF. But OSU Ed.S is supposed to be my backup in case I don't get into UF so I would at least like to hear they want me for an interview. 

Hi! One of those was me- the interview is scheduled for February 22nd and they asked us to RSVP by the 18th. You could possibly be included in a second wave of invites, but I can't tell you for certain, of course. Hope this helps!

20 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

I received an email last week for a phone interview with my potential POI. I have that tomorrow. Maybe depends on who you requested and if they’ve gone through apps?

4 minutes ago, schoolpsyched4 said:

I received an email last week for a phone interview with my potential POI. I have that tomorrow. Maybe depends on who you requested and if they’ve gone through apps?

This is actually helpful! Glad you chimed in; I remember you posting about the phone interview and was wondering whether you had received a similar email. I think it makes sense that it could be dependant on POI. BTW, I have only seen phone interviews and acceptances for this program on the results page. Do you know if they hold official interviews on campus? Thanks again!

55 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

This is actually helpful! Glad you chimed in; I remember you posting about the phone interview and was wondering whether you had received a similar email. I think it makes sense that it could be dependant on POI. BTW, I have only seen phone interviews and acceptances for this program on the results page. Do you know if they hold official interviews on campus? Thanks again!

I have my interview tomorrow morning, so I’ll ask then. From what I’ve read on the website, they do phone interviews, accept students, then invite to campus. But I could be wrong. I’ll let you know once I find out! And I did receive a similar email. It’s super easy to fill out the survey, so I would recommend doing it even if you haven’t gotten an interview yet!

Edited by schoolpsyched4

2 hours ago, schoolpsyched4 said:

I have my interview tomorrow morning, so I’ll ask then. From what I’ve read on the website, they do phone interviews, accept students, then invite to campus. But I could be wrong. I’ll let you know once I find out! And I did receive a similar email. It’s super easy to fill out the survey, so I would recommend doing it even if you haven’t gotten an interview yet!

I filled it out right away just in case- didn't want even something as simple as that to get in the way ?And awesome! Thank you for offering to keep me posted on their interview process. Good luck on your interview tomorrow!! Sending good vibes!

7 hours ago, Schoolpsyched4aPhD said:

Update....

Denied from KU, placed on waitlist for UO, and still waiting to hear back from UF :( my interview with DU is this week, so i am excited for that. 

Good luck on your DU interview!! Did you go to the January or February UF interview? Because at the January one they said we should hear back in two weeks which is now this week. I was wondering what was said at the February interview.