Post here to get your worries off your chest

On 2/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, hardatwork said:

Worries: I recently reread my personal statement and it was a lot more disjointed than I remember it being. Also, at the start of the process I got conflicting information about reaching out to potential advisors. Now I fear that my inaction on that front has eliminated my chances. I fear my GPA worked against me because I was a stupid freshman who once took premed classes.

Excitement: I have one offer and another interview. I'm super excited about both! It's nice to know that I definitely have a plan for next year no matter what happens going forward. 

That's pretty much how I feel, especially on reaching out to potential advisors. I had no idea you were supposed to do that so I ended up only contacting one professor simply because I was in the area and wanted to stop by the physical offices where the other grads work. I feel like I'm out of the running entirely, and it doesn't help that my quant score was barely passable for my field (160Q)

Let's keep hoping, though! Tons of acceptances go out in February - just because we didn't hear anything positive in January doesn't mean we're out of the race entirely. And congrats on your offer, that's super exciting!! 

Worries: This is my first application cycle, and I only applied to two master's programs, and was already rejected from one. My fear is that I'll get rejected from the UMich program, or I'll be accepted with zero funding and not be able to go. And just the other day, I found out that I messed up a small detail on my SOP.

Excitement: Unfortunately, I don't have anything school-related to be excited about right now.

3 hours ago, historygeek said:

Worries: Decisions will probably start coming in over the next two weeks. 

Excitement: Decisions will probably start coming in over the next two weeks. 

Damn, and I'm all out of likes to give today.  I'm right there with you!

Worries: First application cycle and I applied to the two most competitive schools in my field, and I was naive enough to think I might get in, in addition to a safer bet but also a more rigorous program. I visited the top one earlier in January for app research and it definitely put stars in my eyes, hoping now that I'll get in to work with some really fascinating artists who I align with really closely, but if I don't get an interview I feel like I definitely will be somewhat crushed at least for a while. 

Excitement: I got into the safer bet and am excited to go there even if I don't get in anywhere else, and I'm excited that my life is about to go through a significant and much longed for change.

Overall, I think I am mostly hoping for this process to be over sooner rather than later. This is my first time going through this and I really don't understand how people can do this multiple years in row. It is emotionally exhausting. So exciting and ultimately maybe one of the most important things we will do for our careers, but definitely draining - and I'm terrible at compartmentalizing. 

Edited by prodmod

My worries: So far I've been rejected from 6 schools with no word from the others (I applied to a lot of grad schools to increase my chances but here we are). I've done everything I can but I never got an internship in my field because they're so competitive, and my undergrad department doesn't have research that really aligns with what I want to do. I don't really know what I'll do if I don't get into grad school, I guess I should start figuring out a plan B.

My excitement: I'm up for a really prestigious award at my university and I've been forwarded to the final round of review, so I think I could have a chance- that would be a really great mood booster among all of this. Plus, if I do end up getting in, I'm really excited to go to grad school and really get my hands dirty in some cool astrophysics stuff.

This is giving me flashbacks to the past 2 springs where I've applied to a bunch of internships and slowly but surely gotten rejected from all of them. Third time's the charm, right? Here's to staying positive!

Worry: NYU has sent out waitlist emails, and I haven't heard anything yet. If I'm not waitlisted, it could mean that I got in-- but it also means I could've been rejected. 

Excitement: If I'm not waitlisted, there's a chance that I actually got in! 

I feel like this is Schrödinger's decision. 

I feel like with each week my worries and excitement change.

Worries: Some of the schools I applied to have already sent out interviews and acceptances, which makes me nervous. I just want to hear back from them already, you know? You all know, obviously. Also, I got an email from the graduate coordinator at one of the schools I applied to asking if we could talk. I wasn’t invited to the recruitment weekend and I haven’t been accepted yet, so I am wondering why she wants to talk to me after so many people have been accepted. 

Excitement: I have no room to complain that I have been accepted into one school! I am worried about my trip there for the Open House, but it’s more pertaining to getting lost and seeing if I actually want to go there or not. Also, if I do decide to go there, I hope I can afford to live in Boston! Rent is definitely not cheap! Also, a POI at another university nominated me for two internal fellowships, so I am hoping that means they will accept me (this is my top choice, so fingers crossed)! 

I am wishing you all the best of luck during these next couple of weeks! 

Edited by Moods

Worries: I applied to one school in October and it was rolling admissions. Haven't heard a single thing since. I read somewhere on these forms that if I didn't get a rejection straight up after I applied, at least that means they're interested...right? Also, I heard that funding mostly goes towards Ph.D candidates and I applied for their Master's degree, so now I have this fear that I really will get in and not be able to afford it. 

Excitement: Maybe I'll hear back soon? Maybe they're taking so long because they want to give me full funding and are trying to put their finances together so they can offer me a full ride up-front? If I don't get in, at least I know I'll be graduating in May, able to apply for a job and not crying due to application-induced anxiety. Maybe I'll adopt a dog. The world is my oyster. 

34 minutes ago, sociological_introvert said:

Worries: I applied to one school in October and it was rolling admissions. Haven't heard a single thing since. I read somewhere on these forms that if I didn't get a rejection straight up after I applied, at least that means they're interested...right? Also, I heard that funding mostly goes towards Ph.D candidates and I applied for their Master's degree, so now I have this fear that I really will get in and not be able to afford it. 

Excitement: Maybe I'll hear back soon? Maybe they're taking so long because they want to give me full funding and are trying to put their finances together so they can offer me a full ride up-front? If I don't get in, at least I know I'll be graduating in May, able to apply for a job and not crying due to application-induced anxiety. Maybe I'll adopt a dog. The world is my oyster. 

I hope you hear something soon! And that’s a great way of thinking of about the situation! Adopt a dog!! 

Worries: that I won’t get in anywhere. Or that I will and I’ll do it fine, but it would be for an awful person, as I’ve been around some truly nasty or unhelpful people in my life thus far. 

I have meh GRE, and while each of my degrees had increasing GPA’s (all above 3.6, the last two above a 3.8) I did have to put notes on each of them because of medical withdrawals and administrative issues. I have some pubs already and two I’m working on right now.  

Just focusing on the two I’ve heard good things from. And putting my energy towards that. And trying to not worry about the ones that I haven’t heard from. 

My own father doesn’t believe in me and is mad I’m not applying to his own school. But I’ve already gone there, and there is nothing for me there. 

Excitement: getting a cut above what I would have had I remained at my previous institution. Moving!!! And the chance for something much better than what I left behind. 

Edited by LuxAeterna01

Worries: One week into February and I have zero decisions besides 2 implied rejections!

Excitement: I REALLY clicked with one of my interviewers a few weeks ago. Like, "getting noticeably excited about each other's work and going on tangents so long that we end up not even talking about research anymore" clicked. They said they'd recommend me to the adcom and it's my dream school! Hopefully this has a happy ending...

worries:I did not get an interview from hgse, so I believe I have already been rejected. Although it should not be too surprised to me, I still feel sad about this. Besides, yesterday I received the rejected email from Wisconsin-Madison. 

Excitement: I've been accepted to Vanderbilt University. Therefore, things will not be very bad, right?

Worries: I have at least three rejections now and if that trend continues with my remaining applications I have to start all over. I don't know what starting all over looks like for me because this has been a very rough experience for me. I know the journey I've applied myself for entry to begin isn't any easier, but I do believe it's human nature to feel disheartened after you've applied yourself towards a goal and failed to achieve that goal. I'm equally worried that as more decisions are shared I will feel more pressure to go through with job interviews in my current profession, unrelated to my PhD field, and play a role of happy, excited, and ready to give my all when I really could care less about these job opportunities because I've been in my current field for 10 years. Do I pick financial stability via another job in my field that won't bring me closer to my true passion and focus - PhD - or go broke trying to strengthen my application for next cycle?

Excitement: I have received the best feedback I think anyone could ask for from several POIs who are well respected and connected in their field. There might be a slim chance I'm offered admission into a pre-doc program instead. There are also great summer research internships I can apply for. And I have a job interview with a major tech company next week - wish that rubbed off on my PhD applications though.

Worries: I'm applying as a BA applicant to top ranked MA/PhD programs in an already highly competitive field. I haven't had any interviews. I have a backup plan but obviously it's not the ideal plan and it would make me reassess a lot of what I'm planning for the next few years. I could stick around at my current in-field position and work on finding other ways to improve my application for a cycle in a later year.

Excitement: I've been communicating with a POI at one school and from the conversations we've been having it seems promising that I might be offered admission. I'm presenting at a research symposium next week. 

Worries: It's a one-and-done. I'm not interested in blanketing the world with applications; either they'll take me or they won't. It's a moonshot! I am also slightly coloured by my experiences of having been rejected like, a lot during my master's application cycle. (Only got in to 1/7 haha. Guess where I went! Guess where I graduated from!)

Excitement: Great email from my proposed advisor. Also, you only need 1! Doing my master's degree got me a job, a pension, and recently, the chance to present at a United Nations conference in Lithuania. I took what I got and I ran with it, and I am very hopeful that my application demonstrates my capacity to do exactly that. I'm an enigma. I'm a mystery. It'll work out or it won't, but SOMETHING will work out. 

Worries: Columbia, my dream program, has started putting out official rejections. I still have no status on my application, but I feel like it might be a rejection. :(

Excitement: I haven't gotten a rejection (yet) so there's still hope for a waitlist (or, ideally, an acceptance!). 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:37 PM, historygeek said:

Worry: NYU has sent out waitlist emails, and I haven't heard anything yet. If I'm not waitlisted, it could mean that I got in-- but it also means I could've been rejected. 

Excitement: If I'm not waitlisted, there's a chance that I actually got in! 

I feel like this is Schrödinger's decision. 

This is me with 4/6 of my applications. The last two had late deadlines, so not hearing back yet.

aaaaaaaaaahh!!!!!

Worries: I’m past 29, got my undergrad degree in Chemical Engineering but worked in Finance for 5 years (related fields huh). Had a major burnout 3 months ago and finally decided to take matters into my own hands and “follow the dream”: move abroad and go back to academics. It’s the ultimate goal but occasionally I still wonder “am I too old?”, “is it worth to spend most of my savings on expensive tuitions?”...

Excitements: omg life is SO beautiful, bright and calm without my previous job! I can sleep, laugh, hang out with my friends. I was working my life away, literally. Already got 2 offers which makes me feel SO relieved (won’t need to go back to the old times) and excited!

On 2/6/2019 at 11:10 AM, sociological_introvert said:

Manifesting is real because A FEW DAYS LATER YA GIRL JUST GOT INTO THE ONLY PROGRAM THEY APPLIED FOR

(not sure if I can afford it but HEY I GOT IN)

worries: My impostor syndrome is SO bad, and I keep panicking every time I get an interview request, but at least they're still talking to me

excitement: I've been getting interviews with my dream program, and I think they've been going well! I keep imagining myself getting in... aaagh

Edited by aggiezone

Worries: Haven't heard a thing from the 6 schools I applied to. I am worried I am going crazy checking my email every half hour, only taking a rest during non-office hours.

Consolation (no excitement lol): I applied to Master programs so it's still a little early. Got my fingers crossed!

Worries: I do not have a backup plan cuz this ain't no just grad school to me. I have lived the first 20 yrs of my life in a place that I def am not compatible with, basically because I'm like Americanized inside out plus I'm gay. Hell I even got an extra convincing general American accent just so to speed up the process of erasing the toxic cultural background from my birthplace, and I'm just tryna wipe the slate clean, bury the past and start a new life with a new name, a new culture, a new appearance and a new attitude. This is a leap of faith for me as I'm cutting ties with my stupid fvckin' old life, I deleted all my contacts including my parents cuz I don't want anyone from my old life to acknowledge my existence and interfere in my new life after I break away. anyways, this is my ticket to escape and I can't afford to lose.

Excitement: I'm gonna start a new life if I get accepted by at least one of the schools that I applied to!

On 2/7/2019 at 10:00 PM, carolina89 said:

Worries: I’m past 29, got my undergrad degree in Chemical Engineering but worked in Finance for 5 years (related fields huh). Had a major burnout 3 months ago and finally decided to take matters into my own hands and “follow the dream”: move abroad and go back to academics. It’s the ultimate goal but occasionally I still wonder “am I too old?”, “is it worth to spend most of my savings on expensive tuitions?”...

Excitements: omg life is SO beautiful, bright and calm without my previous job! I can sleep, laugh, hang out with my friends. I was working my life away, literally. Already got 2 offers which makes me feel SO relieved (won’t need to go back to the old times) and excited!

I also got out of finance and went back to finish my undergrad at 29. Just about to turn 31 and got into an MFA program and waiting on two more. Your 30s are the PERFECT time to go back to school, and tbh your age and world experience are a competitive advantage when it comes to grad programs. 

Edited by prodmod