Post here to get your worries off your chest

2 hours ago, Nairel said:

This is soooo real, but anyway I also need to vent some worries and excitements:

Worries: I'm an international applicant. This means that standardized tests are pretty new to me and well, although I've been working with US-based nonprofits on research assistantships for the past 4 years, my TOEFL scores were pretty mediocre. GRE... I can't even talk about it. I come from Venezuela, do you know how hard is to get your transcripts and paperwork from your university when they've been on strike for months + current political chaos + all my family is there + applications fees are too dam high y'all. I moved to Mexico because my J1 expired and not knowing what will happen next is scary. 

Excitements: after having worked for 4 years on public health projects I think this is the right moment to do it! I periodically read the coursework and I think YASSS this is what I want to learn!!! I also have good friends in the cities where the unis I've applied are located. I think that's a good thing to consider :D

Best of luck to you all!

That's rough.  As for the application fees, we all feel that pain, even those of us from the country.  That said, hopefully you see a change of power soon in Venezuela and, hopefully, in the US in 2020.  Once both countries gets their toxic leaders out of office, I think things will be looking much better for you and all of us.  Best of luck to us all over the next two years. 

Edited by Ternwild

I'm starting to get extremely worried that I haven't heard back from the school I interviewed for. It's been about a week and a half, am I crazy to be worrying yet? ?

1 hour ago, Ternwild said:

Crazy?  No.  Too soon to worry?  I think so. Things take time.

True. It's just hard when the POI matches my research interests exactly, the school is amazing, and the location is perfect. I honestly never thought I would find such a good fit and I'm so worried it's not going to work out. The waiting is killing me. Le sigh

I'm experiencing a considerable case of impostor syndrome. I'm well past 30 years old and, after a very mercurial existence since high school, I graduated with a bachelor's degree about 10 years late. To this point, I've never committed to or been interested in one particular thing long enough to excel and attain mastery.

I also just got my first acceptance to a PhD program. It's in a different field than I studied as an undergraduate, but the opportunity is perfectly aligned with my interests and my goals. I'd just be going in without a lot of experience and therefore a lot of catching up to do. Having a prolonged interest like this is new to me--7 years and still going strong. I'm just really afraid that I'm too far behind and I'll be wasting peoples' time and money if I accept.

There's also a lingering feeling that I've accomplished very little to date. Most if it relates to my net monetary worth, which is far less than a lot of people I know. I'm not in the best position as far as retirement; the opportunity cost of five years in graduate school is sobering in this regard.

Is anyone else's impostor syndrome motivated by similar experiences?

That summarizes most of my worries, but here's what I'm excited about: As I mentioned, this really is the perfect opportunity for me. I'm incredibly excited about the field of study, the professor I'd be working with, and the area I'd be living in for the next five years. 

Excitement:  I've been accepted to an MA program, and that program has invited me to apply for their PhD (and thus, to receive funding).

Worry:  Just when I thought my admissions decisions were over, one more thing comes out.  And while I know the school I am attending now, this is a potential $100,000 swing (from having $80k in debt to receiving a stipend), and would shave 3-5 years off of my original plan.  So I'm quietly freaking out again.

Excitement: I have 2 good offers to PhD programs that are excellent fits for me. When I first applied in the fall, I was scared I’d never get in anywhere.

Worry: Making a final choice is much harder than I thought it’d be. I’m super nervous about finding housing that isn’t going to eat up the majority of my stipend.

Excitement: I got into a MS program with an amazing advisor with great funding! I don’t have to stay at my job for too much longer!

Worries: I haven’t heard back from my top choice. The application period was over January 15th so it’s officially been crickets for two months. One person has posted on the results that they got in and heard two weeks ago. Someone else posted on another forum that he applied to the same program and his resume is a hell of a lot better than mine. The school I got into is in a city I’m not excited about living in and I already made my bf move to the shitty town we’re in now for my job. I don’t want to do that to him again. I want to know for sure where my life is going to be for the next two years. 

Worry: I got "nominated for admission" by the department on Monday, but the graduate school has to approve and send my official letter. ?

I want to be happy because I'm almost in but I have some SHITTY grades in my past and I don't want them to haunt me forever and take this chance away from me!!

Worry: My family and my partner’s family keep assuring me that I’ll get in. If I don’t get accepted to any programs I worry they’ll think less of me. I haven’t heard back from 7 out of 8 of my programs, and my backup plan to get a job relevant to my discipline has been unfruitful thus far.

Excitement: My last exam of my undergrad is on April 9th. I graduate on May 17th. A few short weeks from now, I’ll be done!  

Worry: Rejected by 5/8. Haven't heard back from one and I applied back in January. Two I applied to less than a week ago (Europe), so I don't have any right to worry yet. Still do anyway. I need time to process visas, so each passing day makes me more stressed. And my toenails are falling off.

Excitement: I found 100 yen outside my apartment door this morning so that was nice.

Worries: I didnt get accepted in an american program, one of my friends who has a worse resume (he said so himself) got in, the one difference that we had is that in our statements of purpose he talked about the struggles of studying in mexico and I avoided doing that because I don't feel like my position is that much worse than many other people, is talking about that stuff such a huge factor?

Excitement: I have a strong chance in an European program according to the dean of admissions

Excitement: Accepted into PhD program with funding. The program isn't a perfect fit, but it's relatively close to my home and there's  a couple of professors with similar interests. 

Worry: Accepted into another PhD program that's a perfect fit, but waiting to hear back on funding. The other graduate program wants a decision soon. I have only a few days left to decide. Desperately checking email every few hours.    

3 minutes ago, bookworm2 said:

Excitement: Accepted into PhD program with funding. The program isn't a perfect fit, but it's relatively close to my home and there's  a couple of professors with similar interests. 

Worry: Accepted into another PhD program that's a perfect fit, but waiting to hear back on funding. The other graduate program wants a decision soon. I have only a few days left to decide. Desperately checking email every few hours.    

Don't worry about the timing! At most schools, you have until April 15th to make a decision, regardless of the pressure from individual departments. It's understandable that they want a decision soon, but it's also important for you to be able to take your time making such an important decision. 

Worry: Well out of four interviews I've been rejected by two schools, waitlisted by one, and have yet to hear back from the last one (my top choice). I've pretty much resigned myself to another year of working and another application cycle in the fall. I just wish I knew what I did wrong in the interviews....

Excitement: I've planned a big international trip and leave April 18th so if I don't get in anywhere it'll take my mind off of things and if I do it'll be a celebration?

Edited by Renalee

Is it worth it to reach out to POI? It's been about 3 1/2 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything (one of the weeks was the schools spring break but I'm not sure how much that matters). I thought the interview went really well and my interactions with the POI felt very positive. However, there were 3 other people interviewing for the same spot and they all seem incredibly qualified (I Googled them, like an idiot). During the interview they said we would find out if we were rejected but if we were waitlisted we wouldn't know. I'm beginning to suspect I am waitlisted. Is it worth it to email and confirm? I don't know if that will make me feel better or not. On the one hand, I will know how the admissions process is progressing. On the other hand, if I'm waitlisted then I just still have to wait until the other person(s) make their decision about the offer. Which won't help how I'm feeling because I wasn't first choice and my future depends solely on someone else. However, if I am waitlisted I want to start working on ways to improve myself for next round. I'm not ready to give up on getting an opportunity to work with the POI. My interests aren't solely driven on getting into a program, they've become focused on working in this lab that is a 99.999999...% match with my research interests which I have not found in any other program. Honestly, I've been over analyzing EVERYTHING and I really just don't know what to do anymore. Help? :( 

Worry: I may not get the funding I need to attend grad school this year. If that happens, I'll have to apply again next year, and I'm not sure what I'll do in the meantime.

Excitement: I'm proud of the work I produced for my portfolio. It encouraged me to write more regularly, and I've started sending out manuscripts to publishers for the first time in years. Even if this application cycle doesn't end with me attending school, at least my efforts weren't for nothing.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:18 AM, mntfr said:

Worries: I didnt get accepted in an american program, one of my friends who has a worse resume (he said so himself) got in, the one difference that we had is that in our statements of purpose he talked about the struggles of studying in mexico and I avoided doing that because I don't feel like my position is that much worse than many other people, is talking about that stuff such a huge factor?

Excitement: I have a strong chance in an European program according to the dean of admissions

Every admissions committee is different, but from what I've heard personal hardships should be avoided in SOPs. Sob stories are great for undergrad applications, but grad schools are more interested in how you'll contribute to the program. Frankly, most people I've consulted say the SOP is mainly to prove you aren't a jerk that no one will want to work with. So I think you did the right thing. Chances are your friend got accepted because his research interests were a better fit.

This is all coming from an MFA applicant of course, but after lurking GC for a couple months it seems like most programs are this way, regardless of discipline.

Worry: I’m glad to know I’m not the only one panicking. I submitted my application at the end of February, got them (Rutgers Bloustein school) my transcript (unofficial) like a week or two ago, and I uploaded my resume today—I thought I had given it to them already, guess not. Now I’m waiting on one more recommendation letter, but the person is very busy, so until he gets that to them, my application is stuck on pending. The amount of anxiety I’ve felt within the past few weeks has thrown me into a mini-tizzy considering this is the only school I’ve applied to. My GPA is a 3.0 with A’s in a lot of my Urban Studies courses (I’m an urban admin major from NYIT) and I expect it to go up as soon as this semester concludes, but my GRE scores aren’t too hot except for writing. I wish they could just tell you in a matter of a day instead of taking a while, but it’s not much I can do I suppose. I also wish that they could just interview me too because I feel as if that could definitely help my application. But I have no idea if the program does that (Urban Planning and Policy, MCRS) so I guess I just have to wait and if I don’t get in I gotta accept my fate.

Excitement: Finally got my first offer today! Fully funded position at Colorado State, which I visited last weekend. The location is great (except for the cold that I don't enjoy), the projects are exciting and the faculty seems super nice persons.

Worries: Will probably have to borrow money to cover the first expenses, such as fees, travel tickets, security deposits and so on since I'm now officially unemployed after finishing my Masters

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 12:19 AM, talkalot_360 said:

Worries: During the interview, they asked me about a time I offended someone with my work and while talking about it I unconsciously did a jerk off hand motion and then when I realized what I was doing I panicked and went “Oh shit, not gonna keep doing that motion” while pushing my hand down with my other hand ??

Excitement: At least I was chosen for an interview and if I do get in even after doing that then that means that I’m so good at what I do that I’m worth accepting an unprofessional liability with no social filter

So apparently I’m so good at what I do that I was worth accepting an unprofessional liability with no social filter because my ass just got accepted off the waitlist ✌️?

• 6 months later...