Is anyone else just way too anxious?

scthorne

On 1/25/2019 at 6:46 PM, Moods said:

Oh my goodness! I relate to this so much! I applied to nine, nada from any of them so far. I have looked at the results and people are already getting interviews, acceptances, and rejections from some of the schools I applied to. I just want to hear something. ANYTHING! I wasn’t eating all that well either nor sleeping well. I have to force myself to relearn self-care, like yoga and meditating and drinking tea and getting enough sleep, but it’s still hard.?

Good luck to everyone, though! ??

I feel you. My fav is Caltech but I'm too scared of emailing the director of the program to ask if he already sent out a campus visit invitation or not. I already asked one time so I don't want to ask again. Can you also ask him? He sounded friendly but I just don't want to persistently ask the same questionimage.thumb.png.92f0bcfbf6e12f3b10bcfb4436d4a05d.png

On 1/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, Ternwild said:

This is my 3rd time applying for Grad School in Physics (F17, F18, F19).  The first, I spent nearly 3000 in app fees to 28 schools...I got into 2.  Great right?  Except the schools I got in had literally no research I wanted to do and were in areas I didn't want to live.  So, I declined and worked in the field for a year.  F18?  Applied to 7 programs I knew I liked that weren't high on US News ranking, including one "safe" school.  All rejections (some as late as April 6).  Another year in the field while I buckled down and worked on my GRE scores.  A year of constant studying later, I raise my subject score 110 points.  This year?  11 schools.  So far, absolute silence.  May have to give up the idea of doing a PhD in physics.  I even applied to some engineering programs.  My GPA? 3.3. 

I'm stuck between accepting that I'll need to consider a career change due to competition in physics or bite my lip and try for F20....

Worth mentioning I had professor recommendations for one of my F18 schools I got rejected from AND all three years I have a recommendation letter from a Nobel Prize Laureate. 

Woah, this is really powerful. I can't imagine what it must feel like going through as many rounds you have while also being very qualified to pursue graduate research. But, going through my second cycle and having yet to hear back, wondering of my own capabilities and future, I can't help but to consider the fact I may have to do another application cycle. It's very anxiety inducing. 

I wish you my best and hope this is your year. You deserve it, fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, pmcol said:

Woah, this is really powerful. I can't imagine what it must feel like going through as many rounds you have while also being very qualified to pursue graduate research. But, going through my second cycle and having yet to hear back, wondering of my own capabilities and future, I can't help but to consider the fact I may have to do another application cycle. It's very anxiety inducing. 

I wish you my best and hope this is your year. You deserve it, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the kind words.  Hope this time around goes better for you than mine did.  That said, just know you aren't alone if you do have to do a third cycle.  ?

10 hours ago, girlbui said:

I feel you. My fav is Caltech but I'm too scared of emailing the director of the program to ask if he already sent out a campus visit invitation or not. I already asked one time so I don't want to ask again. Can you also ask him? He sounded friendly but I just don't want to persistently ask the same questionimage.thumb.png.92f0bcfbf6e12f3b10bcfb4436d4a05d.png

I’ll see if I gain the courage to email him tomorrow (aka today since it’s already past midnight). Sorry for being a chicken about this stuff. 

6 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

I'm going to lose hope in a few weeks. Most of my schools have not said anything to me, and it's saddening.

Don’t lose hope just yet! There is still so much time for things to happen. You also just got back from an interview weekend, if I remember correctly. It might have been super chaotic, but some good could come out of it! 

7 hours ago, Moods said:

Don’t lose hope just yet! There is still so much time for things to happen. You also just got back from an interview weekend, if I remember correctly. It might have been super chaotic, but some good could come out of it! 

But when most of my schools have already sent out at least some interview invites, it starts seeming like I will be ghosted until March rejections...

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

But when most of my schools have already sent out at least some interview invites, it starts seeming like I will be ghosted until March rejections...

I know this probably won't be reassuring, but patience is the best policy when it comes to applying to things. I am sorry that most of your schools have already sent invites. I feel the same as well. I have only been invited to one school so far and some of the other schools I was really hoping I would get into, such as University of Michigan and University of Florida, already sent their invites and acceptances. It worries me as well, but the best way to move on is to not get discouraged. There is still some time. And if somehow things don't go as planned, you will have to pick yourself up and start again. Sadly, it seems like a lot of people on here have had to apply multiple times. That is unfortunate and no one wants to apply more than once, but at least you can try again and maybe learn from this experience, if necessary. That's the risk we take when we apply and there are no guarantees for anyone :/. However, just know that I am cheering you on! You are a great applicant and deserve to go somewhere you will love working at.

Edited by Moods

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

A quck look through your schools and your program show that there are quite a lot of people who have been accepted as late as March.  Ghosting by universities is very real.  In many ways, I wish they'd just straight out reject those who stand no chance so that you know right away not to waste the anxiety on them. 

There could be a chance you could be passed over this year. I'm all too familiar with that feeling.  That said, it really isn't the end of the world.  Remember: Strength is not determined by the number of times you get knocked down, but by the number of times you get back up.  Quite a few people get passed over.  You just have to keep your head up and work on making a better application for next year.  Admittedly, though, it looks like you've gotten some interviews, which is a lot further than most people have gotten--myself included.  Just bite your lip and wait until March.  Not much you can do by worrying about it. 

14 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

A quck look through your schools and your program show that there are quite a lot of people who have been accepted as late as March.  Ghosting by universities is very real.  In many ways, I wish they'd just straight out reject those who stand no chance so that you know right away not to waste the anxiety on them. 

There could be a chance you could be passed over this year. I'm all too familiar with that feeling.  That said, it really isn't the end of the world.  Remember: Strength is not determined by the number of times you get knocked down, but by the number of times you get back up.  Quite a few people get passed over.  You just have to keep your head up and work on making a better application for next year.  Admittedly, though, it looks like you've gotten some interviews, which is a lot further than most people have gotten--myself included.  Just bite your lip and wait until March.  Not much you can do by worrying about it. 

Thanks for the words. Yeah, stuff can still happen within the next 5-6 weeks for sure. But most places have already sent out interview invites, which would be necessary for acceptance. So I have a strong feeling I will be ghosted until the last minute. Of course I'm quite grateful to have had some requests so far! But you know, having options, especially with dream schools, would be nice ?

I'm not too interested in taking time off and going through the application cycle again, admittedly. So I'm just hanging on by a thread to see what happens. You're right that I should stop worrying so much though, since there isn't much I can do about it now. I hope that with your perseverance you get offers this year!

6 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

But most places have already sent out interview invites, which would be necessary for acceptance.

In F17, I got admitted to two schools and was never interviewed by them.  Interview is really only done if they feel they need more information to get a better picture.  Lots of people get admitted without interviews.  Hang in there. 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, CanadianHopeful said:

I think mine will start coming in two weeks or so but still checking email and all my application portals constantly even though I know its the weekend and theres no chance to hear anything right now. Applied to 5, wish I applied to 10 just  in case.

I did the same thing, only applying to 5. Really, though, if I had added "just in case" schools I may not have gone even if I did get in. 4 of the 5 I chose are dream schools, and the last is only excluded from that classification because of location. For me, it was a balance of saving money and avoiding settling for a school I didn't think I'd thrive in as much. If I don't get in, I'll make sure my work is better next year. Hopefully you do, and hopefully all 5 you chose are great matches. Soon we will all know our fates! 

11 hours ago, Moods said:

I’ll see if I gain the courage to email him tomorrow (aka today since it’s already past midnight). Sorry for being a chicken about this stuff. 

lol, I would chicken out after I already tried it once. Basically, I just emailed him like so "Did the admission committee send out an interview invitation to their preferred candidates already?  and he sounded nice when he replied back

On 1/25/2019 at 6:17 PM, lovekilledinos said:

YEP. 

Last year I only applied to one program and it was a big fat No. This year I only applied to three and while I logically know that decisions for my programs will come in about three weeks.. still so anxious. 

Yep same, 1 school last year, 4 this year, got my first rejection today.  FeelsBadMan

This is my third year applying, 1st time got an acceptance without funding from UCSC, 2nd time I got the same from UCSC and got accepted also without funding at UCSB, which is my top choice as I studied there as an exchange student, worked there in the summer and got my first publication. I love that place so much!

On the past week some people posted about being accepted at the ECE program there and since then my hope started going downwards since from my last 2 experiences if you don't make it on the first wave, you're pretty much done.

To see if I can get some information to calm down a bit or get my rejection already, I just wrote to the graduate adviser, which I met during a visit in July and she seemed like a great person, so I imagine if she can disclose any helpful information, she will. Now the wait begins for yet another email...

5 hours ago, girlbui said:

lol, I would chicken out after I already tried it once. Basically, I just emailed him like so "Did the admission committee send out an interview invitation to their preferred candidates already?  and he sounded nice when he replied back

I think I am going to chicken out. I hate waiting, but I feel weird asking as well. Sorry, friend. We will hear good or bad news at some point, I guess, right? (Hopefully good!) Congrats on your accept to UMich, though! I sadly think I will get a rejection from them since I didn't get an interview invite.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, Ternwild said:

This is my 3rd time applying for Grad School in Physics (F17, F18, F19).  The first, I spent nearly 3000 in app fees to 28 schools...I got into 2.  Great right?  Except the schools I got in had literally no research I wanted to do and were in areas I didn't want to live.  So, I declined and worked in the field for a year.  F18?  Applied to 7 programs I knew I liked that weren't high on US News ranking, including one "safe" school.  All rejections (some as late as April 6).  Another year in the field while I buckled down and worked on my GRE scores.  A year of constant studying later, I raise my subject score 110 points.  This year?  11 schools.  So far, absolute silence.  May have to give up the idea of doing a PhD in physics.  I even applied to some engineering programs.  My GPA? 3.3. 

I'm stuck between accepting that I'll need to consider a career change due to competition in physics or bite my lip and try for F20....

Worth mentioning I had professor recommendations for one of my F18 schools I got rejected from AND all three years I have a recommendation letter from a Nobel Prize Laureate. 

I am having the same problem!!!! I applied for 30 schools total and this is my 4th cycle! I am also thinking of giving up!! I am having a hard time right now honestly. Please, if you want to, we can talk to each other :) I totally know what you'e going through. 

Except I dont have the recommedation from Nobel Prize Laureate and I feel that should carry tonnes of weight! 

2 hours ago, Moods said:

I think I am going to chicken out. I hate waiting, but I feel weird asking as well. Sorry, friend. We will hear good or bad news at some point, I guess, right? (Hopefully good!) Congrats on your accept to UMich, though! I sadly think I will get a rejection from them since I didn't get an interview invite.

hey @Moods please don't feel bad. :( Also, didn't you get 2 interviews invitation? Just  curious! 

I am seriously thinking of getting another undergrad degree to boost my shitty GPA (and get engineering degree instead of pure science) when I was in undergrad back in the day. I have great GPA for my masters but I'm starting to think that my Master is a waste of time. 

Edited by StHoly

11 minutes ago, StHoly said:

hey @Moods please don't feel bad. :( Also, didn't you get 2 interviews invitation? Just  curious! 

Aww, thanks! I have had two phone interviews with UConn professors and one skype interview with a UW Seattle professor. I was just recently accepted to and invited to an Open House at Boston University. I am very happy about that at least!

I hope your applications are going well! I am sorry to hear about MIT, though :(.

3 minutes ago, Moods said:

Aww, thanks! I have had two phone interviews with UConn professors and one skype interview with a UW Seattle professor. I was just recently accepted to and invited to an Open House at Boston University. I am very happy about that at least!

I hope your applications are going well! I am sorry to hear about MIT, though :(.

Congrats for your BU acceptances! I"m waiting for mine now... And thank you! :) I expected the MIT. Even meeting the prof there didn't give me any chance which means I have no chance to begin with lol! 

Can't wait to hear back! Do you think they send out invitations in waves or set time? Should I give up? It could be a little different between MSE and BME in BU though.