Is anyone else just way too anxious?

scthorne

3 hours ago, whiskerplot said:

Now that I have one acceptance my biggest worry is whether I'm going to get any more or not. Can I pull the trigger yet and commit? Can I sign a pre-lease on an apartment and look for roommates? CalTech doesn't release decisions until MARCH. ?

I fell you!!!

I'm between "omg I'm so excited, this city is awesome, let me search the web about condos, things to do etc" and "hmm I don't know if I'm moving there yet, so let's just calm down and not be excited about it" hahaha ?

10 hours ago, Ternwild said:

Uh oh.  I'm seeing some Physics Colorado State acceptances going out last Friday and silence on my end.  This doesn't bode well. >_<

Just woke up to an invitation to visit CSU in 2 weeks! They are paying up to $500 of my plane ticket, which is barely half the cost. I'm planning on going as I have a friend there that can house me for a couple of days and make the trip more worthwhile. Super excited!

@carolina89 I'm from Porto Alegre :D

4 hours ago, TheHoff said:

Just woke up to an invitation to visit CSU in 2 weeks! They are paying up to $500 of my plane ticket, which is barely half the cost. I'm planning on going as I have a friend there that can house me for a couple of days and make the trip more worthwhile. Super excited!

@carolina89 I'm from Porto Alegre :D

Grats man!  Hope the school is a great fit for you! 

On 2/19/2019 at 2:59 AM, whiskerplot said:

Now that I have one acceptance my biggest worry is whether I'm going to get any more or not. Can I pull the trigger yet and commit? Can I sign a pre-lease on an apartment and look for roommates? CalTech doesn't release decisions until MARCH. ?

If it makes you feel any better, March is in 8 days!

I don't get how January lasted for 74 days, February has lasted 4 days and the 2019 cycle application waiting purgatory has lasted for a good five years.

3 minutes ago, elx said:

If it makes you feel any better, March is in 8 days!

I don't get how January lasted for 74 days, February has lasted 4 days and the 2019 cycle application waiting purgatory has lasted for a good five years.

You're not wrong...

Yesterday I received an invitation for an on-campus interview which really gave a little bit of morale, the thing is it not my first option (not complaining, just to be clear)

The thing is that I worked with a POI at UCSB during the summer of 2015 and I really enjoyed my time there. I felt like I had a great connection with the faculty, I loved the community, the city, still have friends attending there, etc. so it is my first choice.

After the internship, I kept working with one of the PhD students there, we got a publication together and the professor agreed to write LoR for me (which he did).

I'm thinking about writing an email to the professor asking about the status of my application but don't want to seem demanding, like if he owns me a spot there because of the LoR.

My idea is something around the lines of:

"I am writing because I was wondering if you could give any updates regarding my application for the Ph.D. program. I started hearing from the other schools I have applied but still no word from UCSB. I reiterate that UCSB is my top choice and knowing what is my situation there would help me better assess the offers from other schools".

Any ideas on how to improve that email?

Thanks! 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:04 AM, Ternwild said:

Uh oh.  I'm seeing some Physics Colorado State acceptances going out last Friday and silence on my end.  This doesn't bode well. >_<

I have applied there. Got an email in early Feb that they will now begin go review my application and that it should take a few weeks. Have not heard anything yet.

Just now, abhispace said:

I have applied there. Got an email in early Feb that they will now begin go review my application and that it should take a few weeks. Have not heard anything yet.

Yeah, emailed the grad department.  They let me know "You're application is slotted to be reviewed by March 8th."  So, I guess I know when my rejection is coming in lol.

My current uni's sending out a bunch of spam emails today (a department's emailed 80+ people without bcc'ing and of course, lots of people hit 'reply all' when getting back to them) and there couldn't be a worse day for this (except any other day this month and up until I get all my rejections). I'm so on edge when I hear the 'new email' sound, it's insane. Don't wanna turn my email off either because what if I finally get an email from a place I applied to?

*deep breaths*

5 minutes ago, elx said:

My current uni's sending out a bunch of spam emails today (a department's emailed 80+ people without bcc'ing and of course, lots of people hit 'reply all' when getting back to them) and there couldn't be a worse day for this (except any other day this month and up until I get all my rejections). I'm so on edge when I hear the 'new email' sound, it's insane. Don't wanna turn my email off either because what if I finally get an email from a place I applied to?

*deep breaths*

Mine is doing a donation drive targeted at alumni like myself. It's driving me crazy because you're right, the "new email sound" is so good at getting my attention these days, and it's worse if it's from a university because for a split second you go "OH MY GOSH IT'S.....my old university asking me for more money for the 4th time today."