Is anyone else just way too anxious?

scthorne

11 minutes ago, carolina89 said:

And today is a holiday in the US... ? nooooo!

Do most of the colleges take today off? I know elementary schools are off today, but my husband attends a state university and he still has classes today.

1 hour ago, ringoandme said:

Do most of the colleges take today off? I know elementary schools are off today, but my husband attends a state university and he still has classes today.

I work at a state school in PA. Students and faculty have off from what I understand. Staff (like myself) work.

1 minute ago, bandanajack said:

I work at a state school in PA. Students and faculty have off from what I understand. Staff (like myself) work.

Interesting, maybe it's a state level decision to honor the federal holiday? Judging by the fact that a lot of people seem to have school today and all the results we're seeing, I think it's safe to say that many admissions committees don't have the day off. Don't know if that helps or hurts anxiety. 

It's occurred to me that people outside of the US must be super confused at why we don't seem to be honoring federal holidays across the board. Wish we did, folks. I'm typing this from work. 

Just now, ringoandme said:

Interesting, maybe it's a state level decision to honor the federal holiday? Judging by the fact that a lot of people seem to have school today and all the results we're seeing, I think it's safe to say that many admissions committees don't have the day off. Don't know if that helps or hurts anxiety. 

It's occurred to me that people outside of the US must be super confused at why we don't seem to be honoring federal holidays across the board. Wish we did, folks. I'm typing this from work. 

Haha even more interesting... I was just thinking how dead the results have been since Friday (of course this is just sociology). It was blowing up last week and now its really quiet. Even our acceptance/rejection forum is dead. 

Also nvm. Looks like class is in session. I work in a non-academic building so I don't stay tuned to this type of thing. Technically I am contractor too so I am even more out of touch than when I was a student here.

Just now, bandanajack said:

Haha even more interesting... I was just thinking how dead the results have been since Friday (of course this is just sociology). It was blowing up last week and now its really quiet. Even our acceptance/rejection forum is dead. 

Also nvm. Looks like class is in session. I work in a non-academic building so I don't stay tuned to this type of thing. Technically I am contractor too so I am even more out of touch than when I was a student here.

Oh wow I'm in philosophy and I got two rejections between Friday and Sunday. It was brutal. Yale woke up early and started rejecting people today too. Probably just different departments doing different things. 

Honestly I'm in a state of "just kill me now and give me a quick and merciful death" with these decisions at this point. 

4 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

For clarification, I do think all public schools have to observe President's Day - they just don't have to observe it ON President's Day. I know my school gives staff the day off after Christmas Day by saying that's the day they're observing President's Day. And they give staff Christmas Eve off by saying that's the day we observe Arbor Day.

Just now, ringoandme said:

Oh wow I'm in philosophy and I got two rejections between Friday and Sunday. It was brutal. Yale woke up early and started rejecting people today too. Probably just different departments doing different things. 

Honestly I'm in a state of "just kill me now and give me a quick and merciful death" with these decisions at this point. 

I'm laughing pretty good now. i feel awful for you, but I understand what you are going for, so its one of those crazed, depressive sort of laughs. 

The only school I heard from was the one I expected to hear from last (rejected). Another school already sent out acceptances a couple weeks ago and I got no news. The last two schools have just been silent. I only have hope at one school, so I just want to get these rejections out of the way.

1 minute ago, bonesandbakes said:

For clarification, I do think all public schools have to observe President's Day - they just don't have to observe it ON President's Day. I know my school gives staff the day off after Christmas Day by saying that's the day they're observing President's Day. And they give staff Christmas Eve off by saying that's the day we observe Arbor Day.

Yep! I know that's why I have to work today. I was able to finagle getting a week and half off for Christmas because of how we moved holidays (and comp time) around.

Just now, bandanajack said:

I'm laughing pretty good now. i feel awful for you, but I understand what you are going for, so its one of those crazed, depressive sort of laughs. 

The only school I heard from was the one I expected to hear from last (rejected). Another school already sent out acceptances a couple weeks ago and I got no news. The last two schools have just been silent. I only have hope at one school, so I just want to get these rejections out of the way.

Oh man I know that laugh all too well. I hear you. 

The ones that send out acceptances and then wait weeks to send out rejections hurt so bad. I know that a lot of schools (UNC for one, on my list) do it because they like to keep a hidden waitlist to accept people last minute if someone turns down the offer. At the same time, 3 of the schools I've applied to have sent out acceptances....maybe? I've seen 1-2 reports each on grad cafe of acceptances going out, and I can't decide if they're doing rolling acceptances or if they all went out and only a couple reported to Grad Cafe. Thus the * in my signature. This whole process is just crazy. 

27 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

Lol my thoughts exactly....waking and seeing all those damn rejections is killing my anxiety. they need to hurry up and let us know already for every department...I wish they would just get a standard decision notification date for all departments like they do with the deadlines to submit applications when we applying 

1 hour ago, ringoandme said:

Exactly hahah here in BR we aren't supposed to work on federal holidays! ?

But it's good to hear schools are open today =D and even better knowing that the schools I've applied for are located in states with a later time zone =D afternoon is just starting there! Hope the rest of the day brings me more results... 

3 hours ago, carolina89 said:

Exactly hahah here in BR we aren't supposed to work on federal holidays! ?

But it's good to hear schools are open today =D and even better knowing that the schools I've applied for are located in states with a later time zone =D afternoon is just starting there! Hope the rest of the day brings me more results... 

Exactly! Here we do not work on holidays and there is a LOT of them hahaha.

I follow UCSB on Instagram and I know they are not open today, I don't know about the other 3 I've applied to.

2 hours ago, TheHoff said:

I follow UCSB on Instagram and I know they are not open today, I don't know about the other 3 I've applied to.

Uh oh.  I'm seeing some Physics Colorado State acceptances going out last Friday and silence on my end.  This doesn't bode well. >_<

1 hour ago, Ternwild said:

Uh oh.  I'm seeing some Physics Colorado State acceptances going out last Friday and silence on my end.  This doesn't bode well. >_<

Oh no, that's no good news! I felt almost the same when someone posted a new result from UCSB after a couple weeks from the last batch since I believe they are starting to call people who were waitlisted and I still haven't heard a thing

Now that I have one acceptance my biggest worry is whether I'm going to get any more or not. Can I pull the trigger yet and commit? Can I sign a pre-lease on an apartment and look for roommates? CalTech doesn't release decisions until MARCH. ?

4 minutes ago, whiskerplot said:

Can I sign a pre-lease on an apartment and look for roommates?

Most college towns have apartment complexes that rent out rooms in large apartments.  So, it might be easier that way.

2 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Most college towns have apartment complexes that rent out rooms in large apartments.  So, it might be easier that way.

Easier, and way more expensive for 1 room than it would be for a whole 2-bedroom apartment. Plus I'm really particular about roommates, i.e. must be gay and love my cats!

8 hours ago, TheHoff said:

Hey, you're Brazilian too! ❤️ where are you from? 

Right? We're all about holidays here... and last year was one of the good ones! I think the next one is... Carnaval already?

Ohh that's a good idea! I don't follow any of my schools on Instagram! Hope we'll hear back from them this week or so!