Is anyone else just way too anxious?

scthorne

I'm not so much anxious about getting rejected from all the PhD programs I applied to as I am about not knowing my future plans. As someone who likes to have a course of action waaay in advance, I can't stand not knowing exactly what I'll be doing just six months from now. If I do get rejected, I'll (begrudgingly) stick with my backup plan of getting my MS first, but for now I feel like all of my time researching housing options/degree requirements/potential PIs in advance for my dream school is just going to waste :(

1 hour ago, whiskerplot said:

I'm not so much anxious about getting rejected from all the PhD programs I applied to as I am about not knowing my future plans. As someone who likes to have a course of action waaay in advance, I can't stand not knowing exactly what I'll be doing just six months from now. If I do get rejected, I'll (begrudgingly) stick with my backup plan of getting my MS first, but for now I feel like all of my time researching housing options/degree requirements/potential PIs in advance for my dream school is just going to waste :(

Omg. I connect to this too. I have generalized anxiety, and I'm very Type A. I need a plan, and the worst part of this whole thing is that I literally can't plan past when I graduate in May. I have no idea where in the country I am going to be living in 6 months.

3 minutes ago, lovekilledinos said:

@brighteyes I hear you! My lease is up in May and I have no idea if I should be looking for an apartment locally or in any of the locations I applied to. 

Wtfff, so stressed. 

Right. Like.. I know I'm moving, but where? North Carolina? Texas? Nebraska? Southern California? Maryland? I applied all over the country. Perhaps that was a bad plan! Lol

10 hours ago, whiskerplot said:

@brighteyes and @lovekilledinos this my biggest worry by far as well. I have taken a leap of faith and began cleaning out my house and boxing most of my books.

*cue Marie Kondo’s “does it spark joy?”*

Ready to fast forward to April 15!

Edited by ASDadvocate
Clearly need to add her book to my collection and learn to spell her name!

@brighteyes at least you had interviews, I think that it means you have a chance. So far I haven't heard from any school that I applied (8 of them ). I mean mines are also suppose to start replying on Feb and March, and I haven't heard of anyone that has gotten accepted to my programs yet, but still this is awful

On 2/1/2019 at 9:18 PM, potsupotsu said:

I kind of wish graduate school application portals worked the same way as postal service tracking. Like you would know when your file passed through here and there, if it's awaiting delivery to the ad comm, if its on its way to the waitlist pile, etc. etc. 

Schools should look into having something like that, it can help with the waiting.

Rejected: 2/7

Edited by veekee
error in spelling

3 hours ago, ana21 said:

@brighteyes at least you had interviews, I think that it means you have a chance. So far I haven't heard from any school that I applied (8 of them ). I mean mines are also suppose to start replying on Feb and March, and I haven't heard of anyone that has gotten accepted to my programs yet, but still this is awful

Yeah, I'm definitely thankful for that. I emailed each of my POIs before I submitted my applications, and I inevitably did apps for the programs that I corresponded with. One of them interviewed me back in October over Skype, and then set me up for a Skype conversation with one of her grad students. That school hasn't finished reviewing apps yet, so I'm still hopeful. I also interviewed with my #2 choice over Skype about a week and a half ago, but haven't heard back yet. Ugh.

6 hours ago, veekee said:

Schools should look into having something like that, it can help with the waiting.

Rejected: 2/7

I agree, but in my experience some schools don't even care enough to set up code to plug in applicants' names on rejection emails, so I doubt they'll put in the effort, sadly.

I thought after getting my first acceptance that I would start feeling less anxious, but nope! In fact, it almost seems like my anxiety has kicked it up a notch. I've never been an anxious person in my life until this process, and I'm really hoping it will go away once my future is set in stone. 

17 minutes ago, crackademik said:

I thought after getting my first acceptance that I would start feeling less anxious, but nope! In fact, it almost seems like my anxiety has kicked it up a notch. I've never been an anxious person in my life until this process, and I'm really hoping it will go away once my future is set in stone. 

❤️❤️❤️

29 minutes ago, crackademik said:

I thought after getting my first acceptance that I would start feeling less anxious, but nope! In fact, it almost seems like my anxiety has kicked it up a notch.

Same!! I thought I would be chill once I got my first acceptance but nope. 

I want MORE. 

Totally agree with all of you. I have one offer, and don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful, but basically the other two programs I've been waitlisted for were my top two. So it kinda just sucks, cause I have to wait to see if a spot opens at one of the places while letting South Carolina know I can't make a decision really until the end of March when I have a better idea if I'll have a shot at the other programs. 

Additionally, I'm still waiting on a few programs, but man, of course its my top three that torment me like this for now. 

Good luck to everyone else on their offers. It will get better, but I just understand where y'all are coming from (had to go through this for MPH 6 years ago). 

12 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Same!! I thought I would be chill once I got my first acceptance but nope. 

I want MORE. 

EXACTLY! I'm one of those people that is constantly setting the bar higher once I make it to my goal. I didn't think I would get any offers and now that I got one, I want at least one other one so I can at least say I got to choose. I'm terrible. 

Edited by crackademik

1 hour ago, crackademik said:

EXACTLY! I'm one of those people that is constantly setting the bar higher once I make it to my goal. I didn't think I would get any offers and now that I got one, I want at least one other one so I can at least say I got to choose. I'm terrible. 

Hahaha this is so relateable. Literally a week ago I was like "Please just let me into one, then I'll know I can go to grad school and my stress will go away" and then I got accepted to a program. Was over the moon for about a day, then moved on to "God, if [insert top program here] doesn't accept me in the next two days I'm a loser and my life is probably over."

Here's to hopefully getting results this week!

On 2/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, bonesandbakes said:

Hahaha this is so relateable. Literally a week ago I was like "Please just let me into one, then I'll know I can go to grad school and my stress will go away" and then I got accepted to a program. Was over the moon for about a day, then moved on to "God, if [insert top program here] doesn't accept me in the next two days I'm a loser and my life is probably over."

Here's to hopefully getting results this week!

Yep! Spot on!