Is anyone else just way too anxious?

scthorne

19 hours ago, historygeek said:

I see you were accepted to a school in Italy! FWIW, I found the student visa and green card process there relatively painless, though my visa was only a few months. 

Yeah, one school in Italy and one in Australia.

I don't wanna sound ungrateful or anything, I'm very happy and relieved, but it would be great to be accepted to my very first choices. I'm actually more anxious than before results started to come out =O

It's good to know the visa process won't take too long though!

23 hours ago, carolina89 said:

Imagine being an international applicant :S 

Which country am I moving? How long will it take to get a visa? Will currency rates be favorable by then or the BRL/USD conversion will still be a punch in my heart, with all of my money being divided by 4?

The waiting is excruciating :( 

Oh jees. That's WAY worse. I definitely feel for you!

5 hours ago, LOiseauRouge said:

I feel the need to check my application statuses even though it's the weekend and I know I probably won't be hearing back til at least next week. 

See I thought my weekend would be safe from status updates so I checked my email anxiety free, only to discover that UCLA sent out rejections at 2 something AM on Saturday. Wtf.

2 hours ago, jillcicle said:

See I thought my weekend would be safe from status updates so I checked my email anxiety free, only to discover that UCLA sent out rejections at 2 something AM on Saturday. Wtf.

Omg noooo! 

3 hours ago, jillcicle said:

3 hours ago, homie said:

First rejection letter came into my Gmail on a Saturday LOL... Can't believe they even work on weekends! 

Here I was, trying to relax on a weekend. Now, I am back to neurotically checking my mail and portal every half hour. 

Can I please have a break?!?! ??

4 hours ago, yjkim192 said:

I think I'm on the minority here. I don't care if the results come out at weekends. I just want to know as fast possible so I can get on with it and plan the next future based on the results.

I was just about to say that.  The more you know, the faster you know, the better.

I have some programs that have already had their interview weekends (and I was not invited) but haven't told me I've been rejected yet and it makes me so anxious. Like, we both know that I didn't get in, but if you tell me specifically that I didn't get in, then I can stop thinking about you.

17 hours ago, virusologii said:

I have some programs that have already had their interview weekends (and I was not invited) but haven't told me I've been rejected yet and it makes me so anxious. Like, we both know that I didn't get in, but if you tell me specifically that I didn't get in, then I can stop thinking about you.

I was in a relationship like this once.

I have had some interviews, but none of them went well. I got one rejection and silence from the rest. I can sort of tell that my chances are very small.

1) I can make peace with that. I will just have to figure out some other career plan and things might turn out for the better.

2) However, because of that small chance of getting accepted, I cannot make any long-term commitments, for as long as 2 months from now.

I calm myself down in the morning at work thinking 1) over and over again, which works at least through the day. But just when I think I am at peace, the anxiety comes out of nowhere as soon as I have some free time. So the next day the cycle repeats...  I really hope I can get out of this anxiety, its not healthy at all.

13 minutes ago, cbspot said:

I have had some interviews, but none of them went well. I got one rejection and silence from the rest. I can sort of tell that my chances are very small.

1) I can make peace with that. I will just have to figure out some other career plan and things might turn out for the better.

2) However, because of that small chance of getting accepted, I cannot make any long-term commitments, for as long as 2 months from now.

I calm myself down in the morning at work thinking 1) over and over again, which works at least through the day. But just when I think I am at peace, the anxiety comes out of nowhere as soon as I have some free time. So the next day the cycle repeats...  I really hope I can get out of this anxiety, its not healthy at all.

I'm at the same boat. I had some interviews and I only got waitlisted. I don't know whether I should consider other career plans right now.

I just cannot keep myself focused on anything. I'm thinking about talking to a mental health professional.

5 hours ago, suelol said:

I just cannot keep myself focused on anything. I'm thinking about talking to a mental health professional.

You should -- there is absolutely no shame in that. I'm about to go cry to my therapist here in a few hours. This is a really tough process. 

@veekee Saaaaaame

I don't even know what to do at this point, all the departments I applied to have been radio silent for two months now, one of them accepted a ton of people a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing that option is probably dead, but the rest have only showed up as a ton of rejects, interviews or POIs contacting a single student to tell them they're being recommended or whatever. My area is CS, which doesn't usually do interviews, but I still can't shake off this feeling of anxiety that maybe everyone rejected me.

1 hour ago, Hougu said:

I don't even know what to do at this point, all the departments I applied to have been radio silent for two months now, one of them accepted a ton of people a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing that option is probably dead, but the rest have only showed up as a ton of rejects, interviews or POIs contacting a single student to tell them they're being recommended or whatever. My area is CS, which doesn't usually do interviews, but I still can't shake off this feeling of anxiety that maybe everyone rejected me.

Yeah, I'm applying to CS too, I don't understand why it is so quiet. Some of the schools that I applied should have released admits and rejects by now. But... no sign...

Edited by yjkim192

4 minutes ago, yjkim192 said:

Yeah, I'm applying to CS too much I don't understand why it is so quiet. Some of the schools that I applied should have released admits and rejects by now. But... no sign...

It's especially frustrating because I have friends who got acceptances like a month ago (but for math instead of CS), and there's other people posting on the results section who have gotten waitlists and interviews, but for some reason I chose mostly schools who just haven't released anything.

Edited by Hougu

7 hours ago, suelol said:

I'm at the same boat. I had some interviews and I only got waitlisted. I don't know whether I should consider other career plans right now.

Feels a tiny bit better to commiserate. I got one waitlist just an hour ago and I am not getting my hopes up.

It was the last school I had any hope for, so it actually helps me move on. 

Also, deleting my Gmail app on my phone seems to be working.

I came on Grad Cafe last night and saw that people had posted they'd received acceptances from TWO schools I applied to. And I still have heard nothing. I don't know what this means but I'm really freaking out. Would rather just be told I didn't get in at this point :(

4 minutes ago, bonesandbakes said:

I came on Grad Cafe last night and saw that people had posted they'd received acceptances from TWO schools I applied to. And I still have heard nothing. I don't know what this means but I'm really freaking out. Would rather just be told I didn't get in at this point :(

Email the department.  Though, you may not appreciate what they have to say. 

1 minute ago, bonesandbakes said:

I know this may not make you feel a ton better, but a lot of us are in the same boat on that. It really sucks. I had no idea the silence was worse than an outright rejection until all this started happening -- for me, it's 4 schools. 

One of them released acceptances and rejections, so I emailed them, and they're staying in touch. I strongly suspect I'm waitlisted but we'll see. My rule of thumb here has been to wait for reports of rejections as well and if I don't get one of those, then I will email the school. 

It does suck though. The suspense is really bad, and I wish more schools were good about sending acceptances and rejections around the same time to prevent that. 

I really hated that I rushed to get all my applications in only to wait 3 months to hear back from schools... I wish there was a way to get periodic updates about application status so I'm not waiting in the dark. The silence is ABSOLUTELY awful!

2 hours ago, bonesandbakes said:

SAME. Though, in my case, I'm going to assume it's a rejection because my research didn't fit well with faculty. Still, this sucks.