Is anyone else just way too anxious?

scthorne

Welp, I just got rejected from my top choice and the only other program I interviewed with. I'm assuming it's gonna be rejections everywhere else now. This was a huge waste of time and money. I wish you all luck, I'm out

12 minutes ago, ergative said:

Welp, I just got rejected from my top choice and the only other program I interviewed with. I'm assuming it's gonna be rejections everywhere else now. This was a huge waste of time and money. I wish you all luck, I'm out

Yeah, you're probably going to rejections, at this point, but you got into to Indiana!  It may not be your top choice, but if you came in here expecting to get into your top choice, you set yourself up for failure.  Honestly, 1 out of 7 is crazy good stats.  Most people only get 1 out of 12.  Look at the results page for Physics.  You have people with nearly top marks being denied at University of Michigan.  Hell, there are people who are perfect in all marks being denied from Cornell.  This process is part your qualifications and part complete random selection.  You need to not take it so personal, like they all got to together and conspired to not let you in any additional grad schools. 

Strength is not determined by the number of times you get knocked down, but by the number of times you get back up.  So stand up, brush yourself off, be proud you got into a PhD program in Indiana and go into your new career with pride that you worked hard and got into a PhD program, that so many don't get into.  You can guarantee Indiana was the top choice of many people who didn't get in.  Keep strong, man, and change your mind set. 

5 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Yeah, you're probably going to rejections, at this point, but you got into to Indiana!  It may not be your top choice, but if you came in here expecting to get into your top choice, you set yourself up for failure.  Honestly, 1 out of 7 is crazy good stats.  Most people only get 1 out of 12.  Look at the results page for Physics.  You have people with nearly top marks being denied at University of Michigan.  Hell, there are people who are perfect in all marks being denied from Cornell.  This process is part your qualifications and part complete random selection.  You need to not take it so personal, like they all got to together and conspired to not let you in any additional grad schools. 

Strength is not determined by the number of times you get knocked down, but by the number of times you get back up.  So stand up, brush yourself off, be proud you got into a PhD program in Indiana and go into your new career with pride that you worked hard and got into a PhD program, that so many don't get into.  You can guarantee Indiana was the top choice of many people who didn't get in.  Keep strong, man, and change your mind set. 

I'm sorry for the way my post came off, I had literally just seen the rejection and was feeling it pretty hard. I should've been more mindful. I didn't necessarily believe I'd get into my top choice, but since I only got 2 interviews, I was hoping for a funded offer from them. I am happy I got into Indiana, but without funding I can't go, so it feels like another rejection, you know?  But you're right, I need to not take it so personally.

I've read your other posts in this thread and I really admire your tenacity in the face of rejections. You're definitely a huge inspiration and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post! I'm rooting for you!

21 minutes ago, ergative said:

I'm sorry for the way my post came off, I had literally just seen the rejection and was feeling it pretty hard. I should've been more mindful. I didn't necessarily believe I'd get into my top choice, but since I only got 2 interviews, I was hoping for a funded offer from them. I am happy I got into Indiana, but without funding I can't go, so it feels like another rejection, you know?  But you're right, I need to not take it so personally.

I've read your other posts in this thread and I really admire your tenacity in the face of rejections. You're definitely a huge inspiration and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post! I'm rooting for you!

Hang in there, you are entitle to feel however you feel... And this is definitely a long process so we all experience all kind of emotions.  Have you reached out to the graduate college asking for any funding opportunities?  it is recommended to always negotiate, tell them you are highly considering attending but with no funding is impossible (explain why)... I am not familiar with the school but look for what normal funding options there are and ask for them or how you can qualify?  If you feel you made a good impression with your future supervisor ask for their help or the department as well.  The department should be interested in bringing the most competitive students to their program so they should help you fight for funding as well.

I got my initial offer for some funding and pushed it now to fully covered tuition for 2 years,  now trying to get more for cost of living (rent, etc)... I hope they are able to get you some money. Good luck!

Edited by Psychdreaming143

7 minutes ago, Psychdreaming143 said:

Hang in there, you are entitle to feel however you feel... And this is definitely a long process so we all experience all kind of emotions.  Have you reached out to the graduate college asking for any funding opportunities?  it is recommended to always negotiate, tell them you are highly considering attending but with no funding is impossible (explain why)... I am not familiar with the school but look for what normal funding options there are and ask for them or how you can qualify?  If you feel you made a good impression with your future supervisor ask for their help or the department as well.  The department should be interested in bringing the most competitive students to their program so they should help you fight for funding as well.

I got my initial offer for some funding and pushed it now to fully covered tuition for 2 years,  now trying to get more for cost of living (rent, etc)... I hope they are able to get you some money. Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the understanding! I hadn't reached out to them yet, I was honestly hoping this opportunity would pull through. But next week (no point asking before a weekend) I'll definitely reach out to my advisor and see what my options are for funding. I'm so happy you were able to get some funding from them! That gives me some hope. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

2 minutes ago, carolina89 said:

2 days schools won't send results and I'll be nervous and anxious anyway.

I had this exact same thought. I didn't get any results today and I said "man I hate friday's" out loud at work today. Everyone looked at me like I killed their puppy. 

33 minutes ago, crackademik said:

I had this exact same thought. I didn't get any results today and I said "man I hate friday's" out loud at work today. Everyone looked at me like I killed their puppy. 

XD I feel that! 

I'm super excited to have accepted to my 2nd choice school, but I'm still anxiously awaiting results from my top choice, who haven't finished reviewing. I was pretty confident about it, because I had great conversations with my POI and one of her grad students back in October, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thrilled about my second choice school, but my first choice is just a slightly better fit for me, and I'm trying to remain hopeful. I mean, I just got accepted on Tuesday, so there's still hope for more, I think.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:42 AM, brighteyes said:

Right. Like.. I know I'm moving, but where? North Carolina? Texas? Nebraska? Southern California? Maryland? I applied all over the country. Perhaps that was a bad plan! Lol

Imagine being an international applicant :S 

Which country am I moving? How long will it take to get a visa? Will currency rates be favorable by then or the BRL/USD conversion will still be a punch in my heart, with all of my money being divided by 4?

The waiting is excruciating :( 

33 minutes ago, carolina89 said:

Imagine being an international applicant :S 

Which country am I moving? How long will it take to get a visa? Will currency rates be favorable by then or the BRL/USD conversion will still be a punch in my heart, with all of my money being divided by 4?

The waiting is excruciating :( 

I see you were accepted to a school in Italy! FWIW, I found the student visa and green card process there relatively painless, though my visa was only a few months. 

1 hour ago, aggiezone said:

Hi I'm the 4 interviews person, and I just found out I have a 5th interview coming up. When will these nerves leave my body?

Interviews are good!  That means they didn't immediately think you're shit material.  5 of them clearly think you're worth a second look!

43 minutes ago, historygeek said:

I see you were accepted to a school in Italy! FWIW, I found the student visa and green card process there relatively painless, though my visa was only a few months. 

I thought about applying to other countries, but always end up chickening out due to the complexity of application processes.  Would love to go back to my home country, someday.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, sgaw10 said:

Thanks for the words. Yeah, stuff can still happen within the next 5-6 weeks for sure. But most places have already sent out interview invites, which would be necessary for acceptance. So I have a strong feeling I will be ghosted until the last minute. Of course I'm quite grateful to have had some requests so far! But you know, having options, especially with dream schools, would be nice ?

I'm not too interested in taking time off and going through the application cycle again, admittedly. So I'm just hanging on by a thread to see what happens. You're right that I should stop worrying so much though, since there isn't much I can do about it now. I hope that with your perseverance you get offers this year!

See? You worried so much and it looks like you got accepted WashU!  Well done.  Great school. 

9 hours ago, Ternwild said:

See? You worried so much and it looks like you got accepted WashU!  Well done.  Great school. 

Thank you so much! I hope I end up having options, though. But it only takes one, after all, so the first acceptance feels relieving. Sending good vibes your way. You got this!

I thought I'd feel really good once I got a response from anywhere. I was fine for the evening after I found out, shrugged it off, nbd, but now I'm just sad and feeling empty. This sucks. Realistically and rationally, I was expecting this; I thought I was prepared for a wave of rejections after I didn't get any interviews but obviously, I'm actually gonna need to learn how to process this stuff. I don't even want the chocolate I've stockpiled in my room, specifically for this occasion. : /

@elx I totally understand it. It's absolutely heartbreaking to be rejected. The hardest part is feeling like you aren't good enough. But you are good enough. 

The longer I'm on this forum the more I realize how fortunate my experience has been. When I applied for my MA I only applied to one school and I was admitted. 

Last year I applied to one PhD and was rightfully rejected. A blessing and a curse. I took some time to really reconsider what I wanted to do and applied to three different schools this year under a completely different program. Last year's rejection sucked, but it allowed me to refine my interests and gave me a year off to just exist. 

I don't know your circumstances, but if you don't get admitted to any programs this year, it'll be okay. Take time to be sad, of course, but you can come back stronger next year and try again. 

You've got this. 

1 hour ago, lovekilledinos said:

You've got this. 

I've got my contingency plans all ready! If not a PhD now (which I might not be ready for, admittedly), I'm applying to MAs; deadlines can be as late as a month before the course starts here in the UK, so I can apply to weaker ones after I get rejected from better programmes (meaning less and more spaced out applications). If all else fails, I'll definitely have a place at my BA institution. And I'm fully prepared to apply for PhDs in America next year! Having a solid plan B before any results came out gave me the belief I'd be at peace with rejections. Reality is uglier!

Thank you for your very considerate words & encouragement! I really really appreciate it!❤️

1 hour ago, LOiseauRouge said:

I feel the need to check my application statuses even though it's the weekend and I know I probably won't be hearing back til at least next week. 

Same thing here =( I'm lucky I slept almost all day, but as soon as I woke up there I was... checking every application status1