Facebook Groups for Programs

Hey everyone! Just was curious as to how the Facebook groups are started for each program. I've heard that for some programs the students in the year above will create a group for the incoming class, and from others that it's just started by a random accepted applicant who takes initiative haha. I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this, but I figured it'd be easy for those who have created a Facebook page for their program to post the link here! :)

So-- if anyone has been super on top of things and already created (or knows the link of) the Facebook group for their program, please post it below so it'll be easier for everyone to get connected! Thanks so much!!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/388297808638988?ref=share

i went ahead and made one for my cohort at Case Western! As far as I know generally it’s just someone from the cohort who creates the page. It’s definitely early for pages to be made since most people probably haven’t heard from all of their schools but this what my top pick and I’m an out of state applicant so I’ll be looking for a rommmate. :) I’m sure Grad Cafe will be flooded with FB links come April!

6 hours ago, S_H19 said:

It’s definitely early for pages to be made

Hahah I know I am embarrassingly early posting this ?it's just been such a long process waiting and not knowing that I am so anxious/excited to finally get things planned!

6 hours ago, S_H19 said:

this what my top pick and I’m an out of state applicant so I’ll be looking for a rommmate

Exactly! That's what I was hoping too. I was lucky enough to get into my top choice, and am hoping to start connecting with roommates and looking for housing. Hoping people will post to this thread as they do start seeing Facebook groups pop up, even if that is in a few months. Thanks for your reply :) 

The NYMC communications coordinator created a FB page - I haven't seen any new students on the page yet, but it's there. They might be adding students once you put down a deposit.

6 minutes ago, doodlydoe said:

Some of us don’t use facebook :(

Haha this is me exactly! I've been wondering if I'll have it in me to reactivate that dreadful thing once I decide on a school. I don't want to miss out on getting to know people, but I might just wait until orientation

9 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

Haha this is me exactly! I've been wondering if I'll have it in me to reactivate that dreadful thing once I decide on a school. I don't want to miss out on getting to know people, but I might just wait until orientation

I'm the only one in my cohort who doesn't have Facebook. Once in a while I feel a little left out because people will be discussing a cute picture someone posted or something, but everyone knows I don't have Facebook, so they'll tell me if there are any upcoming social events. It works--it's kinda fun playing the crotchety Luddite.

SUNY Plattsburgh

https://www.facebook.com/SUNYPlattsburghSLP2021/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Secretary, Donna, told me to create one for my class. If you are looking for a roommate follow that page and post there. Donna said she will post housing info on the page as well. 

Out of curiosity  - why do all of these SLP programs keep using Facebook in 2019?

Are you guys just creatures of habit and/or don't know a better way?? Reading all of the admit results where people are STILL asking, "FACEBOOK GROUP?? FACEBOOK GROUP CREATE YET??" breaks my heart.

There are vastly superior tools to Facebook that accomplish the goal of staying connected to your cohort, without dragging your entire past and family and ex-lovers and god knows who else into your professional world.

Why not Discord? Or GroupMe? Or almost anything else?

Break the cycle! This isn't 2005, 2010, or even 2015. It'll be 2020 next year - stop making Facebook groups like you're little old ladies and use modern collaboration tools!

16 minutes ago, psizemore said:

Out of curiosity  - why do all of these SLP programs keep using Facebook in 2019?

Are you guys just creatures of habit and/or don't know a better way?? Reading all of the admit results where people are STILL asking, "FACEBOOK GROUP?? FACEBOOK GROUP CREATE YET??" breaks my heart.

There are vastly superior tools to Facebook that accomplish the goal of staying connected to your cohort, without dragging your entire past and family and ex-lovers and god knows who else into your professional world.

Why not Discord? Or GroupMe? Or almost anything else?

Break the cycle! This isn't 2005, 2010, or even 2015. It'll be 2020 next year - stop making Facebook groups like you're little old ladies and use modern collaboration tools!

This has been so surprising to me about CSD. My school's NSSLHA chapter also uses Facebook a lot. I thought it was a dying thing and yet it has vibrant life in CSD-world. But I also couldn't think of an alternative, nor have I heard of Discord or GroupMe so I'm pretty useless basically... 

I lol'd at the red text. 

Edited by Rezzy S.

44 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

This has been so surprising to me about CSD. My school's NSSLHA chapter also uses Facebook a lot. I thought it was a dying thing and yet it has vibrant life in CSD-world. But I also couldn't think of an alternative, nor have I heard of Discord or GroupMe so I'm pretty useless basically... 

I lol'd at the red text. 

Well, it's totally true, lol. I hate to soapbox, it just seems to be a symptom of CSD being dominated by non-technical ladies who are just following in the footsteps of the newly-admitted people from previous years. I'm a liberal arts major myself,  but go look at acceptances for any STEM stuff and you won't see this archaic Facebook Group stuff.

Imagine if somebody said, "hey guys, has the Myspace group been created yet??"

EDIT: More women than men use Facebook. VASTLY more women than men are in CSD. CSD prioritizes quantitative skills less than, or as little as, even the least-technical comparable STEM discipline (Psych, perhaps). Scores on the quantitative section of the GRE correlate with the extent to which members of a group tend to be more technical or less technical than others. I should have made myself more clear before. By "technical" I meant techie people...who aren't on Facebook.

Edited by psizemore
edit

3 minutes ago, psizemore said:

Well, it's totally true, lol. I hate to soapbox, it just seems to be a symptom of CSD being dominated by non-technical ladies who are just following in the footsteps of the newly-admitted people from previous years. I'm a liberal arts major myself,  but go look at acceptances for any STEM stuff and you won't see this archaic Facebook Group stuff.

Imagine if somebody said, "hey guys, has the Myspace group been created yet??"

Haha while I strongly disagree we're all a bunch of "non-technical ladies," I do think its a handed down thing like you said. Just curious are you a CSD major? Going through my undergrad program, I can tell you it is very much a STEM major (involving anatomy, stats, medical technology/imaging, and so on) paired with counseling skills. 

2 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

Haha while I strongly disagree we're all a bunch of "non-technical ladies," I do think its a handed down thing like you said. Just curious are you a CSD major? Going through my undergrad program, I can tell you it is very much a STEM major (involving anatomy, stats, medical technology/imaging, and so on) paired with counseling skills. 

I think we had different definitions of "technical" in mind, which is fine.