Decision Deadline before April 15..HELP!

Hi guys! Touro is forcing me to make a decision (with a security deposit) next week before the April 15th deadline. I asked for an extension and they gave me a few more days, but nothing that was actually helpful. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they have any advice on this matter :)

Hope everyone else's acceptance process is going well 

I'm actually in a similar situation with NCCU! I'm planning to accept and hopefully there won't be any consequences if I back out later. (I like the school a lot and I'd love to go there but... I'm waiting to hear back on a GA position at another school, and I'd like to wait a bit longer to hear about funding, or at least hear back from some of the other schools I applied to!)

Having this issue with Yeshiva who gave me a HUGE scholarship but waiting to see if NYU will give me any money. I was able to have them push it back until end of March but I unfortunately may have to pay the deposit and lose it if I decide to go somewhere else. 

Does anyone know if putting multiple deposits down is ok? And you just lose your money... obviously don’t plan on doing that because I would never want to take someone’s spot but just wondering 

5 minutes ago, cef26 said:

Does anyone know if putting multiple deposits down is ok? And you just lose your money... obviously don’t plan on doing that because I would never want to take someone’s spot but just wondering 

Unfortunately you'd just lose your money if you put deposits at multiple schools... which is annoying because it gets quite $$$. I think it's okay to do that so long as you let the school(s) that you're not attending know, in a timely manner, that you will be pulling your offer.

6 hours ago, cef26 said:

Having this issue with Yeshiva who gave me a HUGE scholarship but waiting to see if NYU will give me any money. I was able to have them push it back until end of March but I unfortunately may have to pay the deposit and lose it if I decide to go somewhere else. 

Thats awesome you got a scholarship, congrats!!! I think Yeshiva's accreditation is in candidacy, but accredited schools are violating CAPCSD's regulations by doing this ?  Seems unethical to violate this and make students give up hundred of dollars out of fear they may not get in other places or get financial offers from other places. 

It is actually illegal for graduate schools to pressure you to make a decision before April 15. This happened when NYU accepted me & gave me 2 weeks. I found out there is an April 15th law & saw NYU was on the list of schools that promises to abide by it. I emailed them & told them, they immediately gave me until April 15. I would say something to them.

35 minutes ago, erinmeg001 said:

It is actually illegal for graduate schools to pressure you to make a decision before April 15. This happened when NYU accepted me & gave me 2 weeks. I found out there is an April 15th law & saw NYU was on the list of schools that promises to abide by it. I emailed them & told them, they immediately gave me until April 15. I would say something to them.

Hey there! Can you share where you saw that list of schools? I have a school only giving me 14 days to decide :(

On 3/8/2019 at 9:18 PM, erinmeg001 said:

I said something to them and they still didnt budge :( I called the CAPCSD organization that sets the April 15th rule, and they said it was only a gentlemens agreement and they cant enforce anything. Can you show me where you saw it was a "law"

1 minute ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

Thank you so much! Is there any official wording on the April 15 resolution date? (A Link perhaps?)

I appreciate it a ton!!

Contact them. My advisor sent me a document they send out so thats how I knew

On 3/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, curlyq177 said:

Hi guys! Touro is forcing me to make a decision (with a security deposit) next week before the April 15th deadline. I asked for an extension and they gave me a few more days, but nothing that was actually helpful. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they have any advice on this matter :)

Hey, just curious how much is Touros deposit? 

I'm in the same boat! I'm currently waiting to hear back from a few schools, one in particular I really hope I hear back from before April 1st but don't know if I will since they do rolling admissions. I've been accepted into 1 school, waitlisted at 2, denied from 2, and still waiting to hear from 4. The school I was accepted to gave me an April 1st deadline but they're OOS and I'd prefer to try and go to a school in Texas.. Are they allowed to do this technically?

If they don’t offer funding then they don’t have to do give you until April 15th. Read the first line of the document listed. 

Acceptance of an offer of financial support* (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor.

followed by 

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15;

This school didn’t offer you funding, so even if they are on the list they don’t have any reason to wait until April 15th. Would it be nice if they did? Yeah, but they’ve made it apparent that they won’t wait until April 15th for your decision. 

I don’t think you’ll be able to strong arm them into doing so otherwise. 

Edited by hiimkhanh

hey, when was your interview and how soon did it take for them to contact you with the decision? 

5 hours ago, hiimkhanh said:

If they don’t offer funding then they don’t have to do give you until April 15th. Read the first line of the document listed. 

Acceptance of an offer of financial support* (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor.

followed by 

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15;

This school didn’t offer you funding, so even if they are on the list they don’t have any reason to wait until April 15th. Would it be nice if they did? Yeah, but they’ve made it apparent that they won’t wait until April 15th for your decision. 

I don’t think you’ll be able to strong arm them into doing so otherwise. 

Which document do you see this in? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! When did you find out you got accepted to Touro? Did you have to do an interview? And how were you notified? Also congratulations on your acceptance! 

On 3/29/2019 at 9:18 AM, speech97 said:

Hi! When did you find out you got accepted to Touro? Did you have to do an interview? And how were you notified? Also congratulations on your acceptance! 

I submitted it on the deadline (Feb 6th) and got my acceptance by email within the same week- no interview. I declined the offer because of the deadline issue. I talked to the program director recently and said the class was mostly filled up- but she could have been lying to pressure me to commit. Hope this helps