Being told no

So I’m an undergrad sophomore with a gpa of a 3.0 I’m going to start my junior year in the fall and I’ll be lucky if I graduate with a 3.4. I’m scared I’m going to be told by my director of my major that I should change my major because I won’t get in to grad school. Has anyone ever been told they can’t do it but ended up getting in??

A short summary of my grad school journey, it took three grad application cycles to get into graduate school. I ended with a gpa very close to a 3.4 and was disappointed when I wasn't accepted. At the same time I know that this was something I wanted to do and I couldn't give up! My last time applying I was accepted into 3 graduate programs. Do not give up! :) PM me if you have any questions!

Remember that numbers don’t make or break your application!! Your experiences and interests are the things that matter most. I took two years off after college because I had no idea if I wanted to go into speech or find another career, but decided to apply for my first cycle (for fall 2019 start). I work in research for speech. 

I have a 3.23 overall undergrad GPA (heh I was premed and had some unrelated personal issues) and my final results are 6 acceptances and 3 waitlists. I believe in you! If you receive any negative opinions/comments from professors, friends, or family, prove ‘em wrong. 

Edited by BioCook
Add info

When I first entered the major I had a 2.5 GPA because I started in a major that I did not do well in. My advisor told me not to bother switching to CMD because I would never get into grad school. I didn't listen and went into the major anyways. I worked my ass off and brought my GPA up to a 3.4 and did not get less than a B+ in any CMD class (except neuro i only received a B- still upset lol) this was my first cycle applying. I have been accepted to 1 school and waitlisted at 3 schools so it can be done don't give up! I did a lot of internships while in the major and I think that really helped me stand out. 

I graduated with a 3.29 cumulative gpa & only slightly above average GRE scores and have gotten into 4/8 of the schools i applied to (I'm still waiting to hear back from 3 but I'm expecting at least 2 no's). Write a strong personal statement and get strong LORs. Also, get as much experience as you can (I did a practicum and 2 internships and I'm pretty sure that's what got me accepted). Edfind is really helpful in finding programs that have higher acceptance rates & accept people with stats like yours.

• 1 month later...

Didn't happen to me but someone i'm close to was told this! She got into a super competitive program based on work experience, high major GPA, and research. Still so much opportunity!

I graduated with a 3.3 and got into 3 masters programs! You definitely have a shot of getting in. I'd set your sights on "less competitive" schools that will accept students within your GPA range. You can use ASHA EdFind to search for schools that accept students with your stats and go from there.

I'd also suggest looking into schools in the UK if you'd be open to it. UK grad programs, while similarly competitive, often have higher enrollments and they look at more than just GPA, plus they don't require the GRE. It's no secret that in American schools it's a bit of a numbers game, meaning GPA and test scores, but in the UK they stress interviews (done via Skype if you're overseas) and an applicant overall, which I think is great as a competent clinician is more than his or her GPA. There's an agreement between the UK and US (as well as many other countries) for licensure, so your degree would be recognized. Plus, to my surprise when I was applying, it's often far less expensive than a master's program in the states!