So I didn't get in.. Now what?

I applied for SLP graduate programs and was not successful with being offered admission. I was waitlisted at one school but received an email stating their cohort was full. I'm disappointed ? 

Perhaps it's a good thing. There is a lot going on in my personal life right now. 

I don't have stellar grades and I did awful on the GRE (I hate the idea of retaking it-I studied a lot the first time!)

Some words of encouragement and positivity would be lovely ❤️

There is always next year-- or next semester, depending on the program! Grades and GRE scores are not everything, just remember that! Look for grad schools that focus on the whole package, rather than the numbers. Your bio sounds like you have so much experience, so keep doing what you're doing. You gave it a good run, and you'll give it another great one next application season. And also, don't forget to feel proud of yourself-- you worked hard to get to this point, with undergrad, working, and the wild, scary ride that is the application process. You made it through it all! (And you'll make it through again?

If you're looking for other ideas (schools, careers, and whatever else), there's this thread on here that people have been posting on. 

Best of luck to you!!

It never feels good to have that door shut on you and I understand why you're disappointed. Take time to feel the way you feel and don't feel guilty about it. You worked hard and I can tell from all of your experience you're passionate about the field. We have too few SLPs and yet there are not enough grad spots to go around, leaving eager candidates like you in situations like this. But what defines someone's character is how they respond to adversity. Ignore that nagging voice in your head that says you're not good enough and focus on what you can do. Also, you applied to some really competitive schools. I think if you go with a larger range of programs and use EdFind to compare your stats, you'll get some good news next cycle :).

I didn't get in my first year of applying. So during my gap year I retook the GRE, did some shadowing, and just lived life. You will get in don't stress. It sucks to not get in the first time but it only makes the time you get in sooo much better. Honestly I looked at my gap year I had to take as a blessing being able to breathe and travel and just go at my own pace. You will do great!

I'm sorry to hear that but like you said, maybe it is a good thing for the time being. Do not give up! I did terrible on the GRE as well, so I'd advise you to apply to schools that don't take the GRE (such as Andrews University and Nova Southeastern University). And if you can, expand your options! I got waitlisted at my safety school and accepted to my top... so you can't ever know. You've got this! You can use this time to beef up your resume and to take a break. Try to get a job related to SLP, volunteer, work on your personal statement, etc. I wish you the best of luck!

• 10 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, libbyyehca said:

I applied for SLP graduate programs and was not successful with being offered admission. I was waitlisted at one school but received an email stating their cohort was full. I'm disappointed ? 

Perhaps it's a good thing. There is a lot going on in my personal life right now. 

I don't have stellar grades and I did awful on the GRE (I hate the idea of retaking it-I studied a lot the first time!)

Hey girl don’t give up! I graduated undergrad in 2016 and actively applied for years and didn’t get in until 2019! Realizing your weaknesses is a great start. I had the same problem with the GRE, I just could not do well on it so I only applied to universities where the GRE wasn’t high on the list or wasn’t even considered. Also, there’s many tools out there to strengthen your GRE skills. Dedicate your time! You owe it to yourself and it will be a great distraction to focus on yourself a little from the other personal stuff going on. Strengthen your application every year so the universities see growth, work in schools or as an SLPA for experience and give back to our field! So many fundraising and benefits go on, and getting involved is great! Don’t be discouraged, I found the hardest part was getting in but you have to keep trying! 

Edited by SLP☀️

I was rejected back in 2018 and decided to just take time to live life, pay down debt and work as an SLPA. I was set on NOT paying to retake the GRE. It is an intense exam sitting for 3-4 hours and it can be extremely overwhelming so I understand why you would not want to retake the GRE but it is very important. I last took it Sept. 2019 and now months later, I feel ready to study and retake it for the 3rd time. The key to boosting GRE scores is to study over a period of 3-6 months and focus on areas that you need to improve. Also look into who is writing your letters of recommendation. You can also ask these programs why they rejected you and what can you do to improve your application. I considered applying to Nova because they do not require the GRE but realistically I don't think $67K in private university tuition is worth it just because I don't want to retake a $200 exam. Look into Magoosh and using that to improve your scores. It will be worth it! I had personal things going on too and in retrospect I realized I was lucky to not have been in a grad program when certain things occurred in my life last year, sometimes getting rejected is a blessing in disguise. Just take this time to "reinvent" yourself so to speak. And cast a wider net to the programs you are applying to for the next cycle. Apply to online programs as well. Most people apply to like 6+ programs, if you take the time to improve yourself you WILL get in without a doubt. Have someone look at your statement of intent as well. Maybe consider rewriting your essay. Just look at ALL aspects of you application this time around. Don't be discouraged! Rejection sucks, I actually chose to not apply for this application cycle because it can be really defeating. Also look into what the average GPA/GRE scores of admitted students are for the programs you are applying to. If it's simply out of reach then save your money and apply somewhere else.  

Edited by popcornlover722
adding something

On 2/22/2020 at 11:38 AM, SLP☀️ said:

Hey girl don’t give up! I graduated undergrad in 2016 and actively applied for years and didn’t get in until 2019! Realizing your weaknesses is a great start. I had the same problem with the GRE, I just could not do well on it so I only applied to universities where the GRE wasn’t high on the list or wasn’t even considered. Also, there’s many tools out there to strengthen your GRE skills. Dedicate your time! You owe it to yourself and it will be a great distraction to focus on yourself a little from the other personal stuff going on. Strengthen your application every year so the universities see growth, work in schools or as an SLPA for experience and give back to our field! So many fundraising and benefits go on, and getting involved is great! Don’t be discouraged, I found the hardest part was getting in but you have to keep trying! 

10 hours ago, popcornlover722 said:

I was rejected back in 2018 and decided to just take time to live life, pay down debt and work as an SLPA. I was set on NOT paying to retake the GRE. It is an intense exam sitting for 3-4 hours and it can be extremely overwhelming so I understand why you would not want to retake the GRE but it is very important. I last took it Sept. 2019 and now months later, I feel ready to study and retake it for the 3rd time. The key to boosting GRE scores is to study over a period of 3-6 months and focus on areas that you need to improve. Also look into who is writing your letters of recommendation. You can also ask these programs why they rejected you and what can you do to improve your application. I considered applying to Nova because they do not require the GRE but realistically I don't think $67K in private university tuition is worth it just because I don't want to retake a $200 exam. Look into Magoosh and using that to improve your scores. It will be worth it! I had personal things going on too and in retrospect I realized I was lucky to not have been in a grad program when certain things occurred in my life last year, sometimes getting rejected is a blessing in disguise. Just take this time to "reinvent" yourself so to speak. And cast a wider net to the programs you are applying to for the next cycle. Apply to online programs as well. Most people apply to like 6+ programs, if you take the time to improve yourself you WILL get in without a doubt. Have someone look at your statement of intent as well. Maybe consider rewriting your essay. Just look at ALL aspects of you application this time around. Don't be discouraged! Rejection sucks, I actually chose to not apply for this application cycle because it can be really defeating. Also look into what the average GPA/GRE scores of admitted students are for the programs you are applying to. If it's simply out of reach then save your money and apply somewhere else.  

On 4/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

Do not give up! It took me three application cycles to become accepted into graduate school! Maybe you can take time to volunteer or work in areas related to the field. Take time to improve your application. Feel free to PM me! :)

Tagging you all as you mentioned working in the field. I will probably have to reapply next cycle and would like to work in the field over this next year. Unfortunately I am having a hard time finding out requirements to be an SLP-A. I am an out-of-field applicant so I don't have a degree in communication sciences and disorders / SLP. Are there other jobs related to the field you all know of that would be good to apply for? Thanks!!

Edited by Pre-SLP

On 2/24/2020 at 11:54 PM, Pre-SLP said:

Tagging you all as you mentioned working in the field. I will probably have to reapply next cycle and would like to work in the field over this next year. Unfortunately I am having a hard time finding out requirements to be an SLP-A. I am an out-of-field applicant so I don't have a degree in communication sciences and disorders / SLP. Are there other jobs related to the field you all know of that would be good to apply for? Thanks!!

You could always look into ABA Therapy, English Teaching abroad, Paraprofessional work... anything where you'd get to work with a population with disabilities or something speech-related.

Today, I got denied from UNCG. I feel like I could just die from sadness. I don't know who to talk to or what to do because the hurt is so deep. For years I have dreaded the moment when the email pops up on your phone or your laptop, and you see your future right there in that tiny box. I did not prepare myself well for denials, but I really don't think that there is anyway to prepare yourself. I feel so stupid. I feel like I let everyone down, including myself. I know this isn't the end of the road, I still have more schools, but this determines how competitive I am, and apparently I am not enough. All of these years of feeling like I don't fit in or am not enough, or trying so hard to change who I am to be an SLP type of person wasn't enough. It feels like I will just never be good enough and it simply sucks. I don't even want to find out about my other schools because I am sure they will be just as bad as this one. I am sorry this was such a depressing post but I needed to say it to people who understand. I know that this doesn't determine my worth, but it sure feels like it right now. In 5 years it won't even matter, but it feels like the whole world right now. After all of my hard work, and effort, I am simply not enough. 

@SHGargrove, I am so sorry you are feeling these range of emotions. Rejection is one of the worst feelings in the world. This is such a stressful process because everyone has worked so hard and now we just all sit and play the waiting game. Every program is different as far as what they are looking for, doesn't make you or anyone any better or worse than the next person. It's hard for the committee's to really get a good glimpse of us not only as students but as future professional when they are only looking at words and numbers on paper. Applying to schools that do interviews give people the upper edge because they get to show their true personality. I am sure you will get in somewhere. Please don't be discouraged. This is only a small moment in our lives and like you said in five tears this won't matter. I KNOW it's easier said than done. I've had my moments of breakdown over the past few weeks. But a few days ago I realized its not worth crying and being upset about things I can't control. All I can do is be proud of how far I've come and that I have worked so hard to get to this moment and soon in less than 3 months I'll be receiving my bachelors degree. There are so many things to look forward to. It'll all work out in the end, I promise.

2 hours ago, SGHargrove said:

Today, I got denied from UNCG. I feel like I could just die from sadness. I don't know who to talk to or what to do because the hurt is so deep. For years I have dreaded the moment when the email pops up on your phone or your laptop, and you see your future right there in that tiny box. I did not prepare myself well for denials, but I really don't think that there is anyway to prepare yourself. I feel so stupid. I feel like I let everyone down, including myself. I know this isn't the end of the road, I still have more schools, but this determines how competitive I am, and apparently I am not enough. All of these years of feeling like I don't fit in or am not enough, or trying so hard to change who I am to be an SLP type of person wasn't enough. It feels like I will just never be good enough and it simply sucks. I don't even want to find out about my other schools because I am sure they will be just as bad as this one. I am sorry this was such a depressing post but I needed to say it to people who understand. I know that this doesn't determine my worth, but it sure feels like it right now. In 5 years it won't even matter, but it feels like the whole world right now. After all of my hard work, and effort, I am simply not enough. 

You really put yourself out there and fully invested in an idea of how your life was going to look in the next year, and now you are redrafting the narrative without a whole lot of information or reasoning, because somebody sent you a form letter. Rejection can be really hard to stomach. You're not alone. I know those feelings all too well.

For what it's worth, I got rejected from everywhere I applied last year for SLP. Prior to that, years before, I applied for MFAs and had a nearly identical experience (waitlists and rejections galore). In both cases, I wondered if graduate school was something I was even meant to do if I got such negative responses. I would look at who else got in and alternate between thinking "what the literal balls?" and "I'm completely delusional and not worthy of this world," instead of looking at what I was bringing to the table on my own terms. When I finally did this, it was a lot more constructive. 

If you were competitive for UNCG based on their average admit stats, you are competitive for heaps of programs. I know it's raw right now and it takes time to heal. Some things that have helped me are:

1) considering that most people's journeys look suuuuuuuper different, no matter what their careers are. If they didn't, that'd be pretty dull.

2) that this process, like it or not, isn't an all or nothing thing. Ultimately the year you end up starting graduate school isn't going to be important, so much as how you did graduate school and what you got out of it. Graduate school is one piece of the puzzle, but SLP is a career you'll hopefully have for a long time, and with every step there will be setbacks and things to learn.

3) that admissions decisions are complex. Graduate programs are looking for baseline stats and certain courses, but they're also looking for a lot of other things when they're building relatively small cohorts. That means diversity (where people are from, in-state vs out of state, race, age, gender, military/civilian, life experiences) but it also means selecting people they a) see thriving under the faculty's direction and b) are more likely to accept their offers. Which brings me to the point that one of my very high ranking academic neighbors reminded me of recently - grad programs sometimes talk to each other during admit cycles and prioritize applicants based on where they know they are more likely to attend later. Their admissions decisions don't make sense to those rejected for this reason.

You're still waiting to hear back. I understand your feelings, but it's not over till it's over. The first letter I got back this cycle was from the lowest ranking I applied to, and they didn't even ask me to interview. This stung especially because they let us know that they'd asked nearly 30% of applicants to interview, and even with a 3.92 post-bacc I didn't make the cut. I was certain I was done-for. Then, I was accepted by 2 programs, both of which are far more dynamic and much better fits for my research interests. Bye Felicia. 

And finally, 4) the question isn't whether or not you're "enough," inasmuch as honing your vision and finding ways of expanding the breadth of your knowledge between now and the next time you apply. You were absolutely enough, you are still enough, and you will be enough a year from now. There just might be more to do in between. 

On 2/24/2020 at 10:54 PM, Pre-SLP said:

I personally took a volunteering position in a preschool that worked with the preschool teacher and that way I was still able to observe with the slp. I did this while working full time at a unrelated position. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 9:38 AM, SLP☀️ said:

I just saw your reply! Thanks for the encouragement! I've been reviewing for the GRE since January. I'm scheduled to take in at the end of May. Despite what's going on regarding COVID19, I hope I can still take it. I honestly would rather not take it at home lol.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, libbyyehca said:

I was an out of field applicant with a lower major GPA of 3.4ish and didn’t do that well on my GRE either but I got into 2 schools so far. To say I’m shocked is an understatement but I think what really helped was my work experience and recommendation letters. I got one from a social worker, special needs preschool teacher and speech pathologist. I worked in special needs preschools, special needs after school programs, and became a registered behavior tech in training. Tbh everything I’ve done career wise has been in preparation for grad school. I did want to learn some ABA but I knew it’d set me apart from others. Working at a preschool for almost 3yrs was amazing. It’s where I discovered my love for speech my final year of college and where I saw the application of everything I learned. One school I got into I know I did well on the interview and just poured my heart out in my essays. This whole process has taught me sometimes it’s just the luck of the draw. I didn’t get into my safety school that was more relaxed with the grades. I also didn’t get into my top schools. Make sure you apply all over and just go for it! I’m sure you’ll get in next time! 

12 hours ago, Cece93 said:

I was an out of field applicant with a lower major GPA of 3.4ish and didn’t do that well on my GRE either but I got into 2 schools so far. To say I’m shocked is an understatement but I think what really helped was my work experience and recommendation letters. I got one from a social worker, special needs preschool teacher and speech pathologist. I worked in special needs preschools, special needs after school programs, and became a registered behavior tech in training. Tbh everything I’ve done career wise has been in preparation for grad school. I did want to learn some ABA but I knew it’d set me apart from others. Working at a preschool for almost 3yrs was amazing. It’s where I discovered my love for speech my final year of college and where I saw the application of everything I learned. One school I got into I know I did well on the interview and just poured my heart out in my essays. This whole process has taught me sometimes it’s just the luck of the draw. I didn’t get into my safety school that was more relaxed with the grades. I also didn’t get into my top schools. Make sure you apply all over and just go for it! I’m sure you’ll get in next time! 

A 3.4 GPA isn't low. I have that in the major and it's actually considered average. I heard anything below 3.4 is considered to be on the lower side. I got into about half the schools I applied too with that GPA and wasn't rejected to any.

Edited by futurespeechpath1

4 hours ago, futurespeechpath1 said:

A 3.4 GPA isn't low. I have that in the major and it's actually considered average. I heard anything below 3.4 is considered to be on the lower side. I got into about half the schools I applied too with that GPA and wasn't rejected to any.

Oh really??!! Wow I always thought it was low. I see so many people with higher GPAs that I always figured I was on the lower side. Even people I’ve talked to ,that I know , they have such higher GPAs that I didn’t think I’d get into a program. I wish I had known this before because I was a complete mess already planning on retaking classes. Seeing so many people post their results with almost perfect GPAs was daunting. And congrats on your acceptances!! 

Edited by Cece93

38 minutes ago, Cece93 said:

Oh really??!! Wow I always thought it was low. I see so many people with higher GPAs that I always figured I was on the lower side. Even people I’ve talked to ,that I know , they have such higher GPAs that I didn’t think I’d get into a program. I wish I had known this before because I was a complete mess already planning on retaking classes. Seeing so many people post their results with almost perfect GPAs was daunting. And congrats on your acceptances!! 

Lol I noticed the down vote you got so I had to respond. Applying can be very very daunting but that’s why we have to try and not compare ourselves to others. I was like you and discouraged but we all worked so hard we have to believe in ourselves. Good luck on your future journey. You got this.

Would also like to echo that I don't feel like a 3.4 GPA is low either! My GPA in major is around a 3.5 and I got in first time around. Just because a large chunk has higher than lets say a 3.6 or so, doesn't mean a 3.4 is considered low. That's why there are so many other aspects of the application to be considered! Best of luck.

Try to apply to programs with a holistic approach or that accepts the last 60 units since thats your highest GPA. Schools like Emerson college (online), NYU, Eastern Washington, WSU. I know there are more. I think someone told up in Utah they had new programs that will accepts  students with "lower GPAs". Don't give up. It took me three cycles to get into a program. You can do it. Also what really helped me was LOR. My professors wrote outstanding letters. I had one from the director of my program so I would look hard into that. Good luck!

It is okay to be disappionted about not getting in- especially when you worked as hard as you did! I would take the time to allow yourself to feel upset, angry, or any other emotion: they are all valid. Try to take comfort in knowing that you are not alone and you are joining the ranks of many others who didn't get in as well (and totally deserved to). Graduate school is really stressful and you could try viewing this next year as an unexpected year of growth and self exploration, a time to just sit back and enjoy the phase of life you are on for awhile longer before the beginning the struggle of being a grad student. Also, COVID19 is going to affect a of programs and acceptees this next year (classes could remain online, prices may go up, etc.) so maybe it is a blessing to have circumvented going back to school during this messy time. 

You don't have to jump into figuring out where to apply/how to improve your application for the next cycle just yet- instead, just allow yourself to feel whatever you are feeling and try to find the positives to next year not going as planned! It sounds like you worked super hard and I hope that you will get in next cycle, wherever that may be!!

Edited by CarolinaSLP

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 11:54 PM, Pre-SLP said:

I think a lot of us get stuck on trying to gain specific experience before applying, myself included, but to be honest I've seen so many girls get accepted by just volunteering for a month or so at a hospital and doing the bare minimum. I'm currently an SLPA and have been since I graduated in 2016. I worked in the schools and now I'm at a private clinic. Definitely put yourself out there and just apply to programs anyway! You'd be surprised at how many people go into SLP programs with zero experience, and tbh I still don't know what I'm doing even after being an SLPA for a couple of years now. So I don't think I have an immense advantage over anyone without therapy experience.The masters degree is where we will get our real training and I'm sure programs know that. :)  But I've had friends work as paraprofessionals for ASD classrooms, substitute teaching, and teaching English as a second language abroad. 

On 2/27/2020 at 7:34 PM, SGHargrove said:

You are enough. You will get in. For years I applied and was denied and couldn’t figure it out, when close friends and family start to tell you to choose another path or move on then that’s when you really want to stick your head in the sand. I went on multiple grad school interviews and found many of the girls in the program to fit such a type of girl - I was still not getting beyond the point of interviews and was super discouraged bc I was so close - forget about it the field is changing. The demand is high and programs are changing, less are caring about the GRE, online SLP programs are emerging...don’t give up. Be on board with ASHA, know what topics are huge right now. SLPs being able to serve diverse communities is huge right now to the point where many of our research needs to be focused on bilingual children and helping a diversity of individuals. Teach in diverse neighbors know dialect vs disorder and walk in to the interviews with that knowledge and it can really help you.