Hello, all. I am applying this year for the English PhD. I just discovered this forum. Not sure I have any chance of admission but I've been submitting applications. I have my MFA and an MA in Latin American Studies. My undergraduate GPA was relatively low because I was majoring in chemical engineering and didn't switch majors until my last year. GRE scores are fine (except quantitative) and graduate grades are good. I'm not sure what to expect but I'm already getting anxious about the process. Currently I teach English at a private high school. I have published a lot of poetry, but I would doubt that helps me in the application process. Anyway, I just wanted to wish everyone luck, and maybe I'll come back to post my results when they finally arrive next year!

OK, here's a new question. For schools that optionally let you list other places you're applying, is it better to do it or not? (Some, it seems, don't make it optional.) I can't figure out what the purpose of this is and whether it could potentially help or hurt one's chances to let a top school know you're applying to a lower-ranked one or vice versa. Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Anyone here still working on those Dec 1 apps? I'm aiming to submit it all by 5 pm and finally have an evening off. ?

Yup - same here! I only have NYU due today. I thought Johns Hopkins was due today as well, but I discovered last night at 3am that it’s really not due until the 15th. Oops.

29 minutes ago, grace2137 said:

Yup - same here! I only have NYU due today. I thought Johns Hopkins was due today as well, but I discovered last night at 3am that it’s really not due until the 15th. Oops.

Nice! That must be such a relief, haha. I studied at Hopkins as an undergrad, and it's got a wonderful English department. Best of luck to you! 

14 hours ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

OK, here's a new question. For schools that optionally let you list other places you're applying, is it better to do it or not? (Some, it seems, don't make it optional.) I can't figure out what the purpose of this is and whether it could potentially help or hurt one's chances to let a top school know you're applying to a lower-ranked one or vice versa. Thoughts?

I think schools are just curious to see who they end up losing students to if they're accepted elsewhere. Is stipend playing a major factor? Are other programs introducing new certificates or initiatives that's causing an impact on decisions?  I don't think schools have the resources to keep track of every school so this allows them to identify trends and use the data in however they see best fit.

14 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I think schools are just curious to see who they end up losing students to if they're accepted elsewhere. Is stipend playing a major factor? Are other programs introducing new certificates or initiatives that's causing an impact on decisions?  I don't think schools have the resources to keep track of every school so this allows them to identify trends and use the data in however they see best fit.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

2 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

Anyone here still working on those Dec 1 apps? I'm aiming to submit it all by 5 pm and finally have an evening off. ?

I'm 4 of 14 down so far and still trying to move forward! Best of luck everyone. Careful to minimize incorrect info on the application interfaces (as I may have done)

10 minutes ago, indoorfireworks said:

I’ve submitted all four that are due today but I’m still waiting on a letter of rec. The prof says she is working on it and will have it turned in today but good lord being this close to the wire makes me anxious. 

For what it's worth, one of my professors submitted ~2 weeks late on an application that said letters were due on the same day. I was still accepted by that school.

So, I submitted my first application, but the website never asked me to pay the fee...? The app clearly states that there's a $75 fee, but I was never directed to any sort of payment portal... Makes me feel like the application isn't really officially submitted, but when I visit the portal, it tells me I've submitted my app. Very confused. 

I submitted my Northwestern application, but it still says "Materials Needed" on the checklist. I got an email from Northwestern saying they had my complete application though. I'm guessing the system just hasn't been updated? Maybe I will email them.

12 hours ago, okonivek said:

I submitted my Northwestern application, but it still says "Materials Needed" on the checklist. I got an email from Northwestern saying they had my complete application though. I'm guessing the system just hasn't been updated? Maybe I will email them.

My NW application says everything has been received except the GRE scores, which I sent to them 3+ weeks ago. If GRE is what they're missing, they may just take a while to show up on the checklist. My scores for NYU were also listed as missing until a day or two ago, and I sent them at the same time.

13 hours ago, Warelin said:

For what it's worth, one of my professors submitted ~2 weeks late on an application that said letters were due on the same day. I was still accepted by that school.

Thanks for this. I know a lot of schools will take them late but this particular one seemed pretty unambiguous. 

Turns out it’s a moot point in this case because my recommender finally sent in her letter a bit after my initial post. Big relief. 

On 11/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, grace2137 said:

Hey y'all. I have a question... So UPenn states on their site that to apply for a fee waiver, you have to email your request in writing to an assistant graduate coordinator whose email is listed. I wrote to her about a month ago with my request and received no response, even after sending a follow up email about a week and a half ago. I need fee waivers wherever I can get them, so I don't want to give up on it too easily. Anyone have experience/advice dealing w something like this? 

Just an update, as I had the same issue; here's what I got back from the graduate coordinator today.: "There are always many requests and she has a limited number of waivers. She evaluates all requests and will let you know." 

So, hopefully an update soon? The fee waiver request was due by December 1, and the application is due by 12/15. Hopefully we'll hear soon?

Officially submitted all of my applications with all letters of rec being submitted as well! WOO! 

But real talk, what am I supposed to do now? Refresh my email every 15 seconds until mid-March? Work on my thesis? Be a productive citizen? It all sounds terrible. 

Hope everyone's applications and final weeks of school are going well! 

2 hours ago, CanadianEnglish said:

But real talk, what am I supposed to do now? Refresh my email every 15 seconds until mid-March? Work on my thesis? Be a productive citizen? It all sounds terrible. 

Apply to hidden gems that you overlooked the first time? Find real hidden gems outside?

20 hours ago, okonivek said:

FYI, I emailed the guy who sent the "we've received everything" email about this and he said that the online application system takes a long time to update but that he's very on top of things, so if he's emailed to say he has everything, then he has everything.

5 hours ago, vondafkossum said:

Just an update, as I had the same issue; here's what I got back from the graduate coordinator today.: "There are always many requests and she has a limited number of waivers. She evaluates all requests and will let you know." 

So, hopefully an update soon? The fee waiver request was due by December 1, and the application is due by 12/15. Hopefully we'll hear soon?

Oooh okay thank you so much for telling me! I was really getting worried - all of my other schools evaluated requests on a rolling basis (or have you request in the application portal) so I wouldn't have otherwise expected them to wait until after they received ALL the requests to evaluate them. 

7 hours ago, CanadianEnglish said:

Officially submitted all of my applications with all letters of rec being submitted as well! WOO! 

Hope everyone's applications and final weeks of school are going well! 

I vote none of the above. Binge watch some shows!

1 hour ago, Hasspurple said:

Really worried that 2 of my letter writers haven't submitted any yet, but I've been busting their chops about it. What do I do???????

How close are your deadlines? In my experience, some letter writers will submit on the day of, even a few hours before midnight.