Unless the program specifies double spaced, you can single space SOPs.  It's on the program to specify if they want double spaced SOPs, so if they don't then any kind of spacing you want to do is fair game.  I personally quintuple spaced my SOP because I'm that person.

Side note:  if you select "double" from the line spacing options in Word, the program will format your document to be more than double spaced.  If you instead go to Line Spacing Options -> Line Spacing, and set it at "Exactly" "24 pt" (assuming you're using 12 point font), you'll get a true double space, which is when there is a full blank line, equivalent to the full height of a line of text, between rows of words.  Word's "double" spacing gives you more than the full height of a line of text between rows of words, and so robs you of a little space.

For an SOP this trick won't be helpful (because the difference between Word's "double" and using the "exactly" setting is minimal), but if you're struggling to figure out how to squeeze an extra paragraph into your 20-page WS, changing from Word's preset "double" spacing to "exactly" 24-point spacing might gain you an additional couple lines.

4 hours ago, HenryJams said:

Side note:  if you select "double" from the line spacing options in Word, the program will format your document to be more than double spaced.  If you instead go to Line Spacing Options -> Line Spacing, and set it at "Exactly" "24 pt" (assuming you're using 12 point font), you'll get a true double space, which is when there is a full blank line, equivalent to the full height of a line of text, between rows of words.  Word's "double" spacing gives you more than the full height of a line of text between rows of words, and so robs you of a little space.

For an SOP this trick won't be helpful (because the difference between Word's "double" and using the "exactly" setting is minimal), but if you're struggling to figure out how to squeeze an extra paragraph into your 20-page WS, changing from Word's preset "double" spacing to "exactly" 24-point spacing might gain you an additional couple lines.

You are a life-saver - this was the difference between getting or not getting my SOP to fit within UMich's limit of two double-spaced pages!

1 minute ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

You are a life-saver - this was the difference between getting or not getting my SOP to fit within UMich's limit of two double-spaced pages!

Haha, I had the exact same problem.  Glad I could help.

Hey 2020 Cafe-ers and Lurkers,

I was a 2019 applicant and am currently attending UT Austin. 

I haven’t been super active since my season, so I apologize for not being up to date on the conversations/threads so far. That said, I wanted to make a plug for people interested in studying Af-Am/African diaspora lit. In my experience, I feel like UT isn’t a place people immediately think of as having strengths in those areas, but I am really happy with the resources I’ve found here and wanted to share that! So if anyone has questions or is slightly interested, feel free to DM me—I’m happy to answer questions, chat, or exchange materials. 

Godspeed to everyone working on getting their applications in!

My first app is due on the 1st, and two out of three of my letter writers have yet to submit their letters to that school (or any, for that matter). We're on break for Thanksgiving right now, though, so I'm wondering how rude it would be for me to send them emails reminding them of the upcoming deadline...? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being "you should definitely not bother your profs during break"...? 

2 minutes ago, karamazov said:

My first app is due on the 1st, and two out of three of my letter writers have yet to submit their letters to that school (or any, for that matter). We're on break for Thanksgiving right now, though, so I'm wondering how rude it would be for me to send them emails reminding them of the upcoming deadline...? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being "you should definitely not bother your profs during break"...? 

FWIW, one of my recommenders turned in their letters about 2 weeks after the December 1st deadline. I was accepted by said school.

Is it a good idea to import recommendations from a previous cycle? If only to avoid the hassles associated with the whole process of chasing ones recommenders. 

3 hours ago, Warelin said:

FWIW, one of my recommenders turned in their letters about 2 weeks after the December 1st deadline. I was accepted by said school.

23 minutes ago, alittlebitofthat said:

Is it a good idea to import recommendations from a previous cycle? If only to avoid the hassles associated with the whole process of chasing ones recommenders. 

There are very few schools which allow you to import recommendations from a previous cycle. My understanding is that schools prefer that your letters are fresh (even if it's just an updated date on the letter) because it ensures that you're interested in them as opposed to applying to every school you can. The process of chasing (and obtaining) recommendations also helps to prepare you for grants, fellowships,  opportunities, and the job market later on. I think they want to make sure that you're partially prepared for that.

Makes sense. Thanks a lot!

46 minutes ago, Warelin said:

There are very few schools which allow you to import recommendations from a previous cycle. My understanding is that schools prefer that your letters are fresh (even if it's just an updated date on the letter) because it ensures that you're interested in them as opposed to applying to every school you can. The process of chasing (and obtaining) recommendations also helps to prepare you for grants, fellowships,  opportunities, and the job market later on. I think they want to make sure that you're partially prepared for that.

16 hours ago, karamazov said:

Same thing here. I've been corresponding with one of my recommenders about my SOP this weekend, though, and he assured me he'll have it done by the 1st. The other, though... ? I sent an email on Friday evening with a reminder about the deadline, but haven't heard anything back. 

For what it's worth, though, this second prof was a recommender for my MA apps, and although it was super anxiety-inducing, he did submit all of the letters on the day of. So I'd advise just trying not to stress about it too much.

Hey y'all. I have a question... So UPenn states on their site that to apply for a fee waiver, you have to email your request in writing to an assistant graduate coordinator whose email is listed. I wrote to her about a month ago with my request and received no response, even after sending a follow up email about a week and a half ago. I need fee waivers wherever I can get them, so I don't want to give up on it too easily. Anyone have experience/advice dealing w something like this? 

6 hours ago, grace2137 said:

Hey y'all. I have a question... So UPenn states on their site that to apply for a fee waiver, you have to email your request in writing to an assistant graduate coordinator whose email is listed. I wrote to her about a month ago with my request and received no response, even after sending a follow up email about a week and a half ago. I need fee waivers wherever I can get them, so I don't want to give up on it too easily. Anyone have experience/advice dealing w something like this? 

I'm sure it won't be too much to email the asst graduate coordinator once again, because this is a rather urgent matter, though I'm not sure if anyone's in the office right now because it's the Thanksgiving break. Perhaps give them a few more days? Otherwise, try emailing to graduate coordinator herself and explain your situation, and perhaps she'll be able to redirect your email to someone who'd be able to help. 

On 11/23/2019 at 5:53 AM, Indecisive Poet said:

Perhaps a tedious question, but are people submitting their statements and writing samples as word docs or PDFs?

Just realized that application platforms change your formatting if you upload it as a doc. For example, my sample is 25 pages on Word, but when I click "preview" on different application forms I uploaded into, it becomes 26, 27, or 28 pages (differs from platform to platform). 

So I changed it to a PDF and that works. Guess that's the only surefire way of standardizing your format/page count across any platform. 

20 hours ago, Cryss said:

Just realized that application platforms change your formatting if you upload it as a doc. For example, my sample is 25 pages on Word, but when I click "preview" on different application forms I uploaded into, it becomes 26, 27, or 28 pages (differs from platform to platform). 

So I changed it to a PDF and that works. Guess that's the only surefire way of standardizing your format/page count across any platform. 

This is really good to know – thank you! I opted to submit my materials as PDFs and I'm glad I did.

This may (most likely is) an insane question. While filling out Letter Writer requests I have to put in "Relationship" for my UNC application, but it does not say whether the relationship I am specifying is my relationship to them (their student) or their relationship to me (my professor). It is just the word "Relationship" and nothing else. Thoughts? It is a required field, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Dogfish Head said:

This may (most likely is) an insane question. While filling out Letter Writer requests I have to put in "Relationship" for my UNC application, but it does not say whether the relationship I am specifying is my relationship to them (their student) or their relationship to me (my professor). It is just the word "Relationship" and nothing else. Thoughts? It is a required field, unfortunately. 

I definitely took this to mean in every instance that they wanted to know the writer's relationship to me, so I always put "Professor" or "Senior Thesis Advisor", etc.

1 hour ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

I definitely took this to mean in every instance that they wanted to know the writer's relationship to me, so I always put "Professor" or "Senior Thesis Advisor", etc.

Sick. Thank you. I think you are right. I just got very anxious about my Professors getting autogenerated emails that were like "Your Professor Dogfish Head is requesting a letter of reference from you," which they probably would have found funny so I don't know why I got so stressed. Thank you again!

Random last minute Q for anyone applying to the University of Virginia: Do they accept self-reported GRE scores during the app process or do they require the official scores to be sent from ETS? Several months ago I made a note that I could self-report based on their online application: "Admissions committees review applications using self-reported test scores." But I recently reviewed the English page and it states: "Generally, action on applications will be postponed until the GRE scores are received. Testing should be done in time to allow for official reporting of scores to the University." Any thoughts?

I'd like to save the $27 if possible ?

39 minutes ago, karamazov said:

Does anyone have tips on how to mention PoIs in an SoP without sounding like you're name dropping/just making a list? 

I've just been fitting one or two POIs into the part of my SOP where I talk about how I envision my research progressing during my PhD. 'Having done such and such, I'm keen to explore such and such related thing, and for this reason I'm particularly intrigued by the work of POI in whatever it is they are doing.' And then a few sentences explaining how my own potential work dovetails with what they've been doing/methodologies they've been using/current project they're working on.

I've had some feedback on several drafts of my SOP and no one has expressed any concern about how I've handled this part, so I think as long as you can articulate why this person is your POI and give some reasons for why you'd be excited to learn from them/work with them, it likely won't sound like you're just name dropping.