13 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

How close are your deadlines? In my experience, some letter writers will submit on the day of, even a few hours before midnight. 

They are spread out, but I have the goal of finishing all of my applications (including letter submissions) by the end of next week, which is finals week at my university, so around December 13th/14th or so.  

Edited by Hasspurple

On 12/2/2019 at 4:07 PM, Indecisive Poet said:

FYI, I emailed the guy who sent the "we've received everything" email about this and he said that the online application system takes a long time to update but that he's very on top of things, so if he's emailed to say he has everything, then he has everything.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up! 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, Indecisive Poet said:

FYI, I emailed the guy who sent the "we've received everything" email about this and he said that the online application system takes a long time to update but that he's very on top of things, so if he's emailed to say he has everything, then he has everything.

Sarah at Washington University in St. Louis and Nathan at Northwestern are really excellent in their organization and answering questions. :)

Did anyone else apply to Emory? The application fee was $75, but the website never presented me with a payment portal or anything... For those who applied, when did the website have you pay the fee? When I log into my account, the site tells me that I've submitted my application, but since I never paid their $75, I'm not convinced. 

4 hours ago, karamazov said:

Did anyone else apply to Emory? The application fee was $75, but the website never presented me with a payment portal or anything... For those who applied, when did the website have you pay the fee? When I log into my account, the site tells me that I've submitted my application, but since I never paid their $75, I'm not convinced. 

Hmm.. I got prompted to pay. 

Did you receive an automated confirmation email from the graduate school after submitting? 

36 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Hmm.. I got prompted to pay. 

Did you receive an automated confirmation email from the graduate school after submitting? 

Yep. From Laney Graduate School Admissions: 

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Laney Graduate School at Emory University. 

The program you applied to has access to your application, and will let you know the results of their review in due course."

Did you get anything more than that? 

I even checked my bank account to make sure I hadn't, like, paid the fee in my sleep or something, but nothing has been deducted from Emory. And my application portal says I've submitted my application. 

14 minutes ago, karamazov said:

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Laney Graduate School at Emory University. 

The program you applied to has access to your application, and will let you know the results of their review in due course."

I even checked my bank account to make sure I hadn't, like, paid the fee in my sleep or something, but nothing has been deducted from Emory. And my application portal says I've submitted my application. 

Did you participate in any of the following programs: http://gs.emory.edu/admissions/waiver-qualified.html

Alternatively, some schools may offer an automatic fee waiver to graduates from certain schools.

5 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Did you participate in any of the following programs: http://gs.emory.edu/admissions/waiver-qualified.html

Nope. I just reviewed my submitted application to make sure I didn't accidentally check any of those boxes, and I didn't. So, it's still a mystery. 

2 hours ago, karamazov said:

Nope, I got the same exact email. Pretty weird, but since you still got official confirmation, maybe just call that an early holiday present? Haha 

12 hours ago, karamazov said:

For me, I got prompted to pay after I clicked Submit. There was a link that was kind of easy to miss next to the You've submitted the application line (I don't remember the exact wording). Besides Emory, I applied to another school which had the same thing - the payment portal appeared after clicking Submit, not before (which is counterintuitive tbh). I think you could email the Laney Graduate School, as they are the place receiving the application fee payment, not the English department, to ask.

@onerepublic96 @Warelin @coffeelyf I emailed Emory, and found out that they give automatic fee waivers to veterans and their children. I had indicated on my application that I'm the child of a veteran, but I had no idea they would waive the fee for that. Mystery solved! 

2 hours ago, DanArndtWrites said:

If a program has a requirement of up to 20 pages, that means if you undershoot it by a couple pages it shouldn't be an issues, right?

My WS is 21.5 and my advisor has said to go ahead and submit it as is; she doesn't think it will be a problem. I'm assuming being a little under would be similarly unproblematic.

Edited by The Hoosier Oxonian

Dah! I was completely prepared to submit Yale today only to find that they have a space for a surprise, mandatory diversity essay in their online application form. I hope this doesn't count for too much because there's no way I'm going to come up with something good, especially last minute. I purposely avoided applying to programs that asked for these ?

5 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Dah! I was completely prepared to submit Yale today only to find that they have a space for a surprise, mandatory diversity essay in their online application form. I hope this doesn't count for too much because there's no way I'm going to come up with something good, especially last minute. I purposely avoided applying to programs that asked for these ?

Same! Unfortunately nearly all of my schools require (or 'strongly recommend') some kind of diversity essay/personal statement, and so far it has been the weakest part of my application. I'm trying to improve it for the next round of deadlines but I can't for the life of me come up with anything coherent and meaningful beyond the absolutely banal '[insert somewhat challenging life situation] has taught me the value of hard work, resilience, etc. etc.' 

Oof, good luck with that essay, Indecisive Poet and onerepublic96--and good luck to all who are still working on apps! You truly are intrepid souls.

I finished up with applications a few weeks ago and the waiting is already driving me bonkers. I applied to seven schools, which seems middle-of-the-road for English PhDs; my list was almost three times as long when I applied to MFAs a few years back, and I still almost struck out entirely, so maybe it was foolish to apply so conservatively this time around. In any event, I'm looking forward to biding my time for the next four to five months with you fine folks while we see how things shake out!

Edited by politics 'n prose

53 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

Just wanted to mention that if anyone else is still (perhaps ill-advisedly) fiddling with their SoP, I'd be happy to swap with them. I am second guessing this thing in a new way every day.

I feel this strongly. I keep thinking of things I'm not 100% happy with and which ought to be changed, but at this point I'm so exhausted that I no longer have the energy to go through with any more rounds of edits. Props to you for the impressive momentum! haha 

7 minutes ago, Hasspurple said:

How long to hear back with admissions results? I'm reading on the results page on this website some people can hear back in January. Anyone have input based on their experiences?

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/86295-projected-acceptance-dates-for-english-phd-programs/

9 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

This happened for one of my applications. I dashed off a response but probably should have spent more time on it. Oh well.