59 minutes ago, DanArndtWrites said:

I thought my GPA for my MFA was 3.75 but it's actually 3.4. I'm retaking the class that tanked me but am I totally fucked? My undergrad GPA is even worse.

If you've already submitted applications, then it's not worth stressing yourself out about. 

Good luck everyone! Hopefully by next time this year all of you are sharing in the overwhelming sense of inadequacy like me! 

Edited by snorkles

10 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Dah! I was completely prepared to submit Yale today only to find that they have a space for a surprise, mandatory diversity essay in their online application form. I hope this doesn't count for too much because there's no way I'm going to come up with something good, especially last minute. I purposely avoided applying to programs that asked for these ?

I remember feeling exactly the same way before I submitted my apps last year. I check basically all of the privilege boxes, and I think it was valuable and important to reflect on this; to consider all of the things that have been easy for me and which maybe haven't been so easy for others.

I think.....the key is to just find a way to be honest. What experiences have you had that make you who you are? What has shaped your outlook and why you want to be a graduate student and what you want to get out of the experience? How do you like to interact with people and what's your general attitude on life? My statement was pretty short, like a single good-sized paragraph. But in that space I managed to talk about a couple of formative hardships I've experienced, as well as some experiences I was really glad to have.

Try and remember that diversity includes all kinds of different considerations and try and answer the question as truthfully as you can. Some inside info is that making this question mandatory was a request by current Yale grad students who want to see more diversity; but that doesn't mean anyone will be trying to poke holes in your response if your response is sincere.

54 minutes ago, snorkles said:

If you've already submitted applications, then it's not worth stressing yourself out about. 

Good luck everyone! Hopefully by next time this year all of you are sharing in the overwhelming sense of inadequacy like me! 

I've only submitted one but still have some to go 

2 hours ago, dilby said:

I remember feeling exactly the same way before I submitted my apps last year. I check basically all of the privilege boxes, and I think it was valuable and important to reflect on this; to consider all of the things that have been easy for me and which maybe haven't been so easy for others.

I think.....the key is to just find a way to be honest. What experiences have you had that make you who you are? What has shaped your outlook and why you want to be a graduate student and what you want to get out of the experience? How do you like to interact with people and what's your general attitude on life? My statement was pretty short, like a single good-sized paragraph. But in that space I managed to talk about a couple of formative hardships I've experienced, as well as some experiences I was really glad to have.

Try and remember that diversity includes all kinds of different considerations and try and answer the question as truthfully as you can. Some inside info is that making this question mandatory was a request by current Yale grad students who want to see more diversity; but that doesn't mean anyone will be trying to poke holes in your response if your response is sincere.

Diversity is important but you can’t force diversity. You can bullshit fit but but bullshitting diversity is either transparent, immorally deceptive, and/or, worse still, maintaining the status quo. So yes: just be honest. Keep in mind that these questions are meant to identify who has additional struggles to contend with. If you exaggerate your diversity you become another hurdle for those who already have them. 

I have never heard of anyone mention diversity as a major component in admitting someone. For many universities this is just a way to look like they’re trying while academic remains largely homogeneous. So as others have said, just be honest and hope for the best.

11 hours ago, dilby said:

8 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Diversity is important but you can’t force diversity. You can bullshit fit but but bullshitting diversity is either transparent, immorally deceptive, and/or, worse still, maintaining the status quo. So yes: just be honest. Keep in mind that these questions are meant to identify who has additional struggles to contend with. If you exaggerate your diversity you become another hurdle for those who already have them. 

I have never heard of anyone mention diversity as a major component in admitting someone. For many universities this is just a way to look like they’re trying while academic remains largely homogeneous. So as others have said, just be honest and hope for the best.

Thanks both for the advice. I had a draft written out to you earlier today about how I was taking x approach but wasn't sure if it was the right move, but I've just finished writing my statement and I'm actually really pleased with what I've come up with! I didn't feel like it was appropriate or relevant to talk about my gender, my not-excellent home life growing up, or some mental health issues I've had – I don't want to pretend that my gender has disadvantaged me when it hasn't, and I don't want to pretend that various issues I've had have had any bearing on my career plans when they haven't. Instead, I went for a more traditional approach to diversity that involved nothing but honesty about my own privilege and how I've confronted it in educational settings and elsewhere. I think it's pretty good!

It would be great if Yale's English PhD website could mention that the diversity statement will be required. It's helpful to know and prepare for something like that in advance, I think, especially for people who are submitting at the last minute.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

2 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

It would be great if Yale's English PhD website could mention that the diversity statement will be required. It's helpful to know and prepare for something like that in advance, I think, especially for people who are submitting at the last minute.

Hmmm. If it doesn't say mandatory, then it probably isn't. My mistake. :) But I do remember hearing a couple of upper-year grad students talking about trying to make it required. I'm glad to hear you were able to find an answer that feels good and sincere.

17 hours ago, dilby said:

Hmmm. If it doesn't say mandatory, then it probably isn't. My mistake. :) But I do remember hearing a couple of upper-year grad students talking about trying to make it required. I'm glad to hear you were able to find an answer that feels good and sincere.

It is actually a required field on the application itself, though I'm not sure how much it would count for in the entire application. (Do you have any idea about that?) 

3 hours ago, tiredderridean said:

It is actually a required field on the application itself, though I'm not sure how much it would count for in the entire application. (Do you have any idea about that?) 

Am a lurker but made an account just to say that my initial impression when filling out the bare bones of the Yale app was not that it being a required field made it mandatory to write a paragraph or essay. I was going to leave diversity statement blank or write N/A. I mean. I'm white cis and female; the only case I could make for myself diversity-wise is being bisexual and mentally ill, but I don't really want to include that on my application (lol) and ... isn't everyone, when it comes to English lit students? I dunno. I just would feel like a total asshole trying to shoehorn things to make it look like I am less privileged than I am. Also, wouldn't it have indicated on the Yale English department website whether that essay was a required element? But I also don't want to skip it if it is genuinely mandatory. Hm. 

On 12/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, grace2137 said:

Oooh okay thank you so much for telling me! I was really getting worried - all of my other schools evaluated requests on a rolling basis (or have you request in the application portal) so I wouldn't have otherwise expected them to wait until after they received ALL the requests to evaluate them. 

Still nothing for me. I'm reluctant to follow up again. I'm just going to eat the $90, I guess. How disappointing not to even receive a response, though! Every other program I requested a waiver for responded within 48 hours, even if I didn't qualify.

Also, the waiver qualifications are so bizarre and varied, it's impossible to tell where you will or will not qualify for one. 

7 hours ago, tiredderridean said:

Hard to say, unfortunately. I get the impression that Yale's admissions process is pretty holistic (based on conversations with the old DGS as well as the new one who starts next month), and based largely on an overall picture of you as a thinker/writer/person. I would just try and make sure that it contributes to the statement about yourself that you are making with the rest of your application. If you feel that all of your materials are presenting a clear and honest portrait, I think you will be in good shape.

3 hours ago, vondafkossum said:

Still nothing for me. I'm reluctant to follow up again. I'm just going to eat the $90, I guess. How disappointing not to even receive a response, though! Every other program I requested a waiver for responded within 48 hours, even if I didn't qualify.

Also, the waiver qualifications are so bizarre and varied, it's impossible to tell where you will or will not qualify for one. 

Same, same, same. I’m also a little salty because most other schools have given me fee waivers. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when Ivy League schools with huge endowments still want me to pay... But alas, what can you do. 

I also wish schools would find a way to streamline the fee waiver process in general, it sucks for lower income folks to have to do so much hoop jumping to get the resources we need! 

49 minutes ago, grace2137 said:

Same, same, same. I’m also a little salty because most other schools have given me fee waivers. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when Ivy League schools with huge endowments still want me to pay... But alas, what can you do. 

I also wish schools would find a way to streamline the fee waiver process in general, it sucks for lower income folks to have to do so much hoop jumping to get the resources we need! 

I qualified for some fee waivers, but because I didn't submit early enough, I am too just eating up the application fees. I don't want processing times to slow down my submissions. 

Sorry if my wording wasn't clear – the diversity statement is mandatory on the application form itself. My suggestion was that Yale's English department website should list the diversity statement under the application requirements, since it comes as a surprise when one is actually filling out the application.

Also, since I know everyone here either is a grad student or is hoping to be one in the very near future, I would strongly (strongly, strongly) recommend leaving a comment on the Trump National Labor Relations Board's recent ruling that graduate employees are not workers. You will not want to go through six years of PhD program with this job market and no right to bargain collectively for better benefits (e.g. making sure mental healthcare is included in your health benefits package, transit benefits, etc) and working conditions (e.g. having a reasonable and relevant teaching load, a grievance procedure for discrimination and harassment, etc).

Here is where you can view existing comments, and here is a site with some extra information about the ruling and how to write an effective comment.

Also, if you're visiting a university in Boston in the near future, consider joining striking Harvard graduate students on the picket line. Even the most elite and privileged universities in America are searching for every opportunity to roll back compensation and benefits for graduate students so they can save a few extra dollars, and they will do anything they can to prevent students from unionizing. Solidarity matters.

Have all of my applications sent in + 2/3 of my referees have submitted all their letters! Unfortunately I sent in Illinois @ Chicago thinking that the application for fellowships was optional (turns out it's not). So now I'm trudging through another surprise 300-word statement. Has anyone else done this one? It asks for a description of my previous experience in my proposed field of study, including teaching, extracurricular activities, professional experience, etc... if only I could just refer them to my CV and to the personal statement I've already written for them. After 3.5 months of full-time application-writing, I no longer have the energy to pour forth anything that is remotely creative, so I plan to write a very functional, very bland description of my tutoring experience, etc. Not sure what they're even looking for, since the only funding I would get is guaranteed anyway ?‍♀️

Edited by Indecisive Poet

1 hour ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Have all of my applications sent in + 2/3 of my referees have submitted all their letters! Unfortunately I sent in Illinois @ Chicago thinking that the application for fellowships was optional (turns out it's not). So now I'm trudging through another surprise 300-word statement. Has anyone else done this one? It asks for a description of my previous experience in my proposed field of study, including teaching, extracurricular activities, professional experience, etc... if only I could just refer them to my CV and to the personal statement I've already written for them. After 3.5 months of full-time application-writing, I no longer have the energy to pour forth anything that is remotely creative, so I plan to write a very functional, very bland description of my tutoring experience, etc. Not sure what they're even looking for, since the only funding I would get is guaranteed anyway ?‍♀️

Feel the same. I only have 1 outstanding application because I need to submit a fellowship essay that comes with a prompt. My mind is tired. 

Thankfully this application isn't due for a few weeks. But I just want to be done ASAP. 

2 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Ugh, me. I have a good amount of teaching experience, but 300 words is far from enough to cover anything in sufficient detail. I'm not stressing it much since, as you noted, funding is guaranteed. Anyway, I'll share mine with you via pm if you're interested. 

47 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

I feel like all of my fanciest, for sure won't get into but might as well shoot my shot programs' application deadlines are on the 15th. Is anyone else having this experience?

Very much so, though now, I am cycling through feelings of "who knows? anything could happen" through "I am FOR SURE not getting in ANYWHERE," ha.

2 hours ago, Dogfish Head said:

I feel like all of my fanciest, for sure won't get into but might as well shoot my shot programs' application deadlines are on the 15th. Is anyone else having this experience?

Desperately trying to polish 6 applications due on the 15th as we speak. 

Having some second thoughts and hoping ya'll can help me out.

If I mention a POI or two using their full names first in my SOP, is it alright to use just the last names for subsequent mentions? Or does that come off as disrespectful? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm conflicted because to think of it, when writing a paper, last names (after initially using the full name) would be just fine, but I'm not sure if the same logic applies to SOP, as it's... uh... a unique genre...

Edited by onerepublic96

5 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

If I mention a POI or two using their full names first in my SOP, is it alright to use just the last names for subsequent mentions?

I referred to them as "Dr. X" or "Professor Y" after the initial mention.  I figure that's a safe middle ground.  It shows respect while avoiding the redundancy of using the full name each time. 

Agreed with @HenryJams—full names first, honorific plus last name for any subsequent mentions. (I think I’d probably opt for “Dr.” over “Professor,” but if you’re on the fence you could always check out your POIs’ faculty pages to see if they happen to be written in the third person and, if so, how the POIs refer to themselves. I don’t think you’ll be going wrong either way, though!)