I've been mentally preparing myself for not panicking if I didn't hear anything this weekend (even though via religious reviews of other forums/result page alluded to that being the time when acceptance notices were sent out). Best wishes to everyone else waiting, come February this chat will be flooded with good news for everyone!

9 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

Yale's DGS tweeted that applications there have increased by 40% this cycle. Interesting.

? I didn't even apply to Yale and that seems alarming...

Reading down this thread, the same seems to be true at Chicago:

and Columbia... 

(Sidenote: this Tweet embedding thing? Very neat!)

19 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

and Columbia... 

Damn! 

2 hours ago, Wimsey said:

Yale's DGS tweeted that applications there have increased by 40% this cycle. Interesting.

It seems like there's been an uptick across most (R1? Ivy/ivy-adjacent?) programs, though I'm guessing that Yale's shocking statistic could perhaps also be due to the fact that their English department has only quite recently dropped their subject test requirement? 

In any case, this doesn't seem to bode well for me...

giphy-facebook_s.jpg.84292cc6cc6a39c2432d70b216a4954a.jpg

Edited by cruel optimism

8 hours ago, caffeinated applicant said:

and Columbia... 

That... doesn’t make me nervous at all!! ?

Does anyone know if UDelaware (eng lit) and UMass Amherst (eng lit) do interviews? Do they generally send out direct admission offers, or ask for at least one session with POIs before extending official offers?

Also, could someone also tell me around what time they historically notify applicants?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Edited by QuietLine

2 hours ago, SheCyborg said:

Does anyone know if UDelaware (eng lit) and UMass Amherst (eng lit) do interviews? Do they generally send out direct admission offers, or ask for at least one session with POIs before extending official offers?

Also, could someone also tell me around what time they historically notify applicants?

I don't believe they have formal interviews, but I might be mistaken. And after (obsessively) trolling past decision dates, UMass Amherst start sending out acceptances by the second week of February usually.

15 hours ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Has anyone gotten email interview invites from Notre Dame yet? I don't see anything on the board yet, but it seems like they sent them out around this time last year. 

I don't believe they have, but in previous years they've sent out interview emails between the 15th and somewhere around the 20th of January. Hang in there!

1 hour ago, NinaM said:

I don't believe they have formal interviews, but I might be mistaken. And after (obsessively) trolling past decision dates, UMass Amherst start sending out acceptances by the second week of February usually.

Hey, thanks! I found out the same thing about UMass Amherst, but hoping they notify slightly earlier this year! The wait is already beginning to appear so stressful.

I spoke to someone from Uva eng lit earlier and she said that she'd Skyped with her potential supervisor before accepting the offer -- not sure if the formal offer was sent before the skype session, or after.

3 hours ago, SheCyborg said:

When I applied 3 years ago I got my acceptance from UMass mid-February. They didn't have any interviews or correspondence in between. After acceptance, you have to have an interview for the teaching assistantship though.

16 hours ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Has anyone gotten email interview invites from Notre Dame yet? I don't see anything on the board yet, but it seems like they sent them out around this time last year. 

Actually I just checked the decisions board and there's an interview from Notre Dame dated today, so I guess they're out?

37 minutes ago, coffeelyf said:

When I applied 3 years ago I got my acceptance from UMass mid-February. They didn't have any interviews or correspondence in between. After acceptance, you have to have an interview for the teaching assistantship though.

Thanks so much, that's really helpful! Amherst is such a literary place, it'll be so wonderful to hear back from them positively!

I remember having to fill out a separate funding application (for TA-ship at the Writing Centre), so I'm guessing it's the Writing Centre that interviews you after acceptance from the dept?

25 minutes ago, SheCyborg said:

Thanks so much, that's really helpful! Amherst is such a literary place, it'll be so wonderful to hear back from them positively!

I remember having to fill out a separate funding application (for TA-ship at the Writing Centre), so I'm guessing it's the Writing Centre that interviews you after acceptance from the dept?

I had the fortune to visit this college over Thanksgiving break, because of my gf's family and other factors. I drove through it. The surrounding area is quite nice, and it gives off a 19th century American "rustic" feeling, like the scenery in a Hawthorne book or something. Spatially, the campus looks quite large, and I understand it enrolls a lot of people.

I also applied there and did the Writing Center application. I don't have any more information, but just wanted to provide a couple of comments because it sounds like you're interested in it.

8 minutes ago, HPurple said:

I had the fortune to visit this college over Thanksgiving break, because of my gf's family and other factors. I drove through it. The surrounding area is quite nice, and it gives off a 19th century American "rustic" feeling, like the scenery in a Hawthorne book or something. Spatially, the campus looks quite large, and I understand it enrolls a lot of people.

I also applied there and did the Writing Center application. I don't have any more information, but just wanted to provide a couple of comments because it sounds like you're interested in it.

Thanks, @HPurple! I can see that you and I have 5 schools in common where we've applied to for Fall 2020! 

18 hours ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Yep - someone's just posted on the results board that they received one today.

1 hour ago, SheCyborg said:

Yep, it was the Writing Program and not the English dept that interviewed me. Just dug through my old emails, the interview was for a Teaching Associateship! Basically, you are to teach the first-year writing course as an instructor, not a TA. And yes, UMass has a great program. My MA advisor was quite surprised that I declined their offer (but my MA was funded, too, and seemed like a better option for my personal life at the time). Hope this helps!