Is everyone firmly in the waiting stage now? 

I'm trying to finish up a secondary writing sample for one of my apps (why why why do some schools ask for two samples??) and it's such rough going at this point... 

I just want to take a nap. 

13 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

I'm trying to finish up a secondary writing sample for one of my apps (why why why do some schools ask for two samples??) and it's such rough going at this point... 

I'm right there with you. I still have a few more apps to complete and I'm dangerously close to throwing in the towel. 

13 hours ago, Warelin said:

Unfortunately, this depends on the program and may depend on policies set by either the program or the Graduate School. There are several that I'm aware of that would e-mail you about missing materials. Others only update via their portal and won't notify if materials are missing. I imagine most would be happy to answer any questions if you're concerned about missing materials though. Additional delays may or may not occur if it has to be processed by the Graduate School prior to being forwarded to the department or Admissions Committee.

Yeah, I decided to send an email to follow up with them for my own peace of mind. Hopefully I am just being paranoid!

13 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

I am officially done as of last night, after submitting the one (!!) school that asked me for 2 samples... Revising and shortening a whole separate paper at this stage when I'm so burnt out was murderous. Being done feels so good, though. You'll get there!

2 hours ago, grace2137 said:

Yeah, I decided to send an email to follow up with them for my own peace of mind. Hopefully I am just being paranoid!

Here's to good news!

2 hours ago, grace2137 said:

I am officially done as of last night,

Congrats on being done. :)

3 hours ago, Wimsey said:

I have three apps left but will be done by the 7th, at which point the waiting will commence. My Harvard app will go out in a couple of hours. I should get a frame for eventually displaying my rejection letter.

Over the years, people have been surprised by being accepted at places, being rejected by places and rejecting offers that they thought they'd accept. The atmosphere on the other side is very different when it comes to choosing when people are presented with multiple choices.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:55 PM, merry night wanderer said:

Thoughts on MA SoPs versus Ph.D ones? I feel like it's a little presumptuous to put my proposed research project in the MA SoP - am I wrong? 

I'm not sure you can parse the difference so finely. I think it makes sense to say what your proposed research project entails, regardless of end goal. The SoP is a very brief statement, I'm not sure anyone will know that you are talking about 50 pages of thesis or 500.

(I'm in a MA/PhD program, got my MA a couple of years ago, so my SoP was literally for the MA and PhD)

Edited by xolo

Hey everybody!

My name is Amy and I completed my 2020 applications at the beginning of December. The waiting is starting to get to me, so I figured I'd finally introduce myself! I seem to be a little late to the game, but better late than never. 

If anybody's interested, I'm into Post-45, postmodernist literature with a Women's and Gender Studies focus. I'm writing my thesis on Angela Carter. 

Best of luck to everybody else waiting!

7 hours ago, NinaM said:

Anyone who submitted to Harvard doesn't have their writing samples showing up on the portal checklist? I'm slightly panicking and contemplating contacting the graduate department to make sure they got them.

Mine isn't listed either, so I'm assuming it just doesn't have the ws as part of the checklist and wouldn't worry!

On 1/3/2020 at 5:55 PM, HPurple said:

I am getting jitters now. When is the earliest I can expect to hear back from a program? End of January? I need to prepare myself!

From your list: OSU, WashU and Duke have traditionally notified in late Jan/early feb. Schools tend to notify acceptances prior to rejection. Some schools might have hidden waitlists.

An approximation list of notifications can be found here:

9 hours ago, NinaM said:

Anyone who submitted to Harvard doesn't have their writing samples showing up on the portal checklist? I'm slightly panicking and contemplating contacting the graduate department to make sure they got them.

Don't worry, I freaked out too because mine wasn't showing up on the check list either. However, if you look at your application proof it should show up (mine did). There's a button for it on the right side right above 'log out'. Best of luck! 

Hi all! Finally decided to make a profile since I've applied to various English/Comparative Literature programs for the fall 2020 season as well and wanted to connect with some fellow trainwrecks and such. I was wondering when interview notifications usually go out for UPenn's Comp Lit program is anyone knows/if anyone has a friend who might know and if anyone else here had research interests in medieval/classical literary reception :)

I received an email yesterday about missing materials  in my app. Does that mean that the review process is finally beginning??? 

Also, I'm sure this is gonna be the slowest 3 weeks ever. 

Whose still working on applications? I have one left to go for Syracuse which requires a teaching statement that I have been agonizing over. I hope everyone is doing well in their post-application/pre-waiting malaise, or is finishing their last couple of applications strong!

Hi all!

Just wanted to wish everyone here a Happy New Year's and a hearty congratulations for anyone either finished with applying, nearly finished applying, or anywhere in-between, whatever stage you may be in. Decision season is coming soon (Buffalo is one to watch out for this month to the best of my knowledge) and I want to wish everyone the very best of luck.

I want to stress: your results do not define you. I've had to ingrain that lesson in myself and it feels strange to even say that because I struggled with precisely that last cycle all throughout the process. This is going to be a time of both highs and lows. It got to me last cycle to the point where my sleep cycle ended up being messy due to way too bouts of late-night thinking over whether or not this path was meant for me. If you are ever in that position, or just want to talk, my DM box is always open for anyone that wants to chat. I may be busier now due to grad school, but I will get to your message as reasonably quickly as I can. And no matter what happens, the fact that you're in this position is itself incredible.

Let's celebrate and commiserate from here to April 15th and beyond. I'm looking forward to seeing how this year will go for all of you :)

12 hours ago, Dogfish Head said:

Whose still working on applications? I have one left to go for Syracuse which requires a teaching statement that I have been agonizing over. I hope everyone is doing well in their post-application/pre-waiting malaise, or is finishing their last couple of applications strong!

I am an anxious person to the core so I finished submitting all of my apps regardless of their deadlines in a 4 hour stupor before I left for Thanksgiving break though now I almost wish that I hadn't because it feels like I've been waiting an egregious amount of time to hear back from anywhere about anything, hope you get all your stuff in on-time! 

I know how you feel, @Rrandle101. I submitted *almost all of my applications before 11/15, so I've been "waiting" for nearly two months now. At this point, I feel like I've driven myself bonkers already with will they/won't they??? Now I have to wait another two-ish months? Ugh. Sending calming, positive vibes to everyone still working down to the wire. I believe in you!

Edited by vondafkossum

1 hour ago, vondafkossum said:

I know how you feel, @Rrandle101. I submitted *almost all of my applications before 11/15, so I've been "waiting" for nearly two months now. At this point, I feel like I've driven myself bonkers already with will they/won't they??? Now I have to wait another two-ish months? Ugh. Sending calming, positive vibes to everyone still working down to the wire. I believe in you!

Omg! I've only been waiting for almost 1 month and I feel like it's been forever. I can't even imagine. 

Good luck to everyone submitting the last of their apps!

Ha, solidarity, @Rrandle101 and @vondafkossum—I submitted all my applications in the first week of November, and have already experienced the Five Stages of Waiting (spoiler alert: all five stages are anxiety). I’m just thrilled to finally be into the new year, and am just gearing up for the rollercoaster ride that will be the next three months. Godspeed and good luck, all!