21 hours ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Has anyone gotten email interview invites from Notre Dame yet? I don't see anything on the board yet, but it seems like they sent them out around this time last year. 

Edit: partner and I both just received interview requests!!!!! We are international so they've requested Skype interviews rather than inviting us to recruitment weekend.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

3 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Edit: partner and I both just received interview requests!!!!! We are international so they've requested Skype interviews rather than inviting us to recruitment weekend.

Congratulations!!! Especially exciting that both you AND your partner have interview potential/requests from the same schools so far! 

8 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Congrats to both of you!

I just posted this in the results thread, but I'm curious if anyone here has any insight:

I was one of the people who posted an acceptance for Ohio State. I just called them and they said decisions aren't out yet because they're still reviewing applications. So are we not actually accepted?

12 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congrats to both of you!

15 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Congratulations!!! Especially exciting that both you AND your partner have interview potential/requests from the same schools so far! 

Thank you both!!! And I know, right!? We were just talking about that. I'm sure there will be many a divergence later on, but neither of us expected to even begin with the same results. We worked really hard to ensure that the programs we chose were good fits for us but also overlapped in location, so hopefully that will pay off!

10 minutes ago, brownjournal said:

I just posted this in the results thread, but I'm curious if anyone here has any insight:

I was one of the people who posted an acceptance for Ohio State. I just called them and they said decisions aren't out yet because they're still reviewing applications. So are we not actually accepted?

OSU's website says that they split up applications by subfield so there is a chance that subfield specific review panels are not finished yet. My Application Portal for OSU still says "Pending," but I would hope that if your Portal says "Accepted" they won't take that away, they probably just can't make it official yet. 

32 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Congratulations!!! That's big. Good luck to you both!

33 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Many congrats! It's good to see some activity finally. Have we heard from anyone else receiving poll and interview request from Chicago. I am definitely devastated by the results...

To add to @Dogfish Head‘s point re: OSU...

Ohio State has historically updated the portal prior to official acceptance emails being sent, so there’s nothing so anomalous about this. Department secretaries also tend to speak in generalities when asked questions about the status of the app review process, so I would just take what you were told at face value: Applications are still being reviewed and nothing has been made official yet (an “official” acceptance would presumably be one that is confirmed by both the applicant portal and by email, phone, or letter).

I’d say the odds are in your favor here, but I can definitely understand your confusion and concern. If it helps, based on last year’s results, there were only a few days in between when the portal was updated and when acceptance emails went out, so you’ll likely know by early next week what your official status is. Fingers crossed that the news remains good, @brownjournal!

Edited by politics 'n prose

47 minutes ago, Emailchecker said:

Have we heard from anyone else receiving poll and interview request from Chicago. I am definitely devastated by the results...

I haven’t heard anything yet. Hopefully just the first round of interview requests or something...

1 hour ago, politics 'n prose said:

Also, I’ve been remiss: congrats to you and your partner on the Chicago and Notre Dame interview news, @Indecisive Poet!

Yes, I forgot to say! It's incredibly impressive that you both got interviews in the same place, not just once but twice. 

Edited by merry night wanderer

2 hours ago, merry night wanderer said:

PSA: UMD will be notifying in 2-3 weeks.

Also, interviews aren't that scary. You may find this hard to believe, but: we all really, really like to talk about books. So it turns out, you can just do that.

Yep. I'm applying to English and Film programs. I just had a non-interview interview at Wisconsin-Madison, and it was just talking on the phone about movies and some of the papers I've written for 70 minutes. Slightly stressful but mostly just nerdy in a really enjoyable way. 

I just got an email from Northeastern inviting me to their pre-admissions welcome event! I am SHAKING! I really could not even process what I was reading when I first opened the email. Feb 9-11, reimbursement for flight/train, shared hotel room paid for by the university, meals covered... Having a mini-heart attack over here, y'all. Is anyone familiar with how many folks Northeastern invites to their event (seems like an informal interview/recruitment weekend sort of shindig) vs. how many they ultimately accept to the program? 

35 minutes ago, karamazov said:

I just got an email from Northeastern inviting me to their pre-admissions welcome event! I am SHAKING! I really could not even process what I was reading when I first opened the email. Feb 9-11, reimbursement for flight/train, shared hotel room paid for by the university, meals covered... Having a mini-heart attack over here, y'all. Is anyone familiar with how many folks Northeastern invites to their event (seems like an informal interview/recruitment weekend sort of shindig) vs. how many they ultimately accept to the program? 

Congrats! 

Thank you so much, @merry night wanderer, @politics 'n prose, @Cryss, @theburiedgirl815, @Emailchecker! I am trying not to get too excited about this, lest I be disappointed post-interview (or if I don't even get offered an interview with Chicago, which IMO is likely). But it is a more encouraging start to the season than I had hoped for!

Congratulations, too, to @karamazov!!!

Edited by Indecisive Poet

13 hours ago, karamazov said:

Congratulations!! 

Congrats on the Northeastern news, @karamazov!

Also, for those of us left high and dry by Chicago, I came across the following just now in the results search:

• Spoke with DGS; all interview requests have gone up. Not everyone will be interviewed, but everyone accepted in recent years has had an interview.

Not too much of a surprise for me (Chicago was absolutely my one-in-a-million, snowball’s-chance-in-hell school), but I just wanted to share this here because I know a number of folks have been wondering what’s up. Congratulations and good luck to those who are in the running for an interview!

Edited by politics 'n prose

10 minutes ago, politics 'n prose said:

Also, for those of us left high and dry by Chicago, I came across the following just now in the results search:

• Spoke with DGS; all interview requests have gone up. Not everyone will be interviewed, but everyone accepted in recent years has had an interview.

Not too much of a surprise for me (Chicago was absolutely my one-in-a-million, snowball’s-chance-in-hell school), but I just wanted to share this here because I know a number of folks have been wondering what’s up. Congratulations and good luck to those who are in the running for an interview!

High and dry indeed. I take this to mean that if you didn't receive an interview request you are no longer in the running. I thought Chicago is the best fit, so naturally I........was wrong. 

2 hours ago, politics 'n prose said:

Hmm, that's good to know. I thought Chicago was a solid fit, but I guess not.

Peace out, Chicago. It's been real.