2 hours ago, NinaM said:

I'm honestly going crazy here not hearing any news whatsoever about the applications. I can't even focus to work on my thesis :( I wouldn't even mind getting a rejection at this point, just any kind of news to keep me going. 

Oof, this is so relatable--I'm applying post-graduation, but I feel like if I were applying my senior year, I'd be struggling to work on my thesis and then thinking, "If I'm struggling to summon the focus to work on this, am I even cut out for grad school at all?" Which is nonsense, of course, since those two things aren't related! I can tell that this would be my thought process because I've already thought to myself, "If I can't stand to read The Limits of Critique after I get home from work while I anxiously wait to hear back from UVA, am I even cut out for grad school? If I don't find that as fun and soothing as binging the next season of The West Wing while I'm waiting on pins and needles in a constant state of anxiety, maybe I don't belong..." Not sure if that's part of your anxiety or not, but if it is, I hope it's helpful to know that other people are in the same boat and to be reminded that this line of thinking isn't true. 

We're all going to be in the waiting boat for a bit longer. I made a countdown in my agenda until the end of January--when I expect to hear back from the first program or two--and it was surprisingly helpful, like telling myself, "This is when you'll know. Until then, you can't worry about anything, because you'll know then." (Of course, if UT-Austin decides that February 18th is actually a great day to release decisions, I'm screwed.) Not sure if that would work for you to displace some of your worrying to the future, but it might be something to try. 

26 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Oof, this is so relatable--I'm applying post-graduation, but I feel like if I were applying my senior year, I'd be struggling to work on my thesis and then thinking, "If I'm struggling to summon the focus to work on this, am I even cut out for grad school at all?" Which is nonsense, of course, since those two things aren't related! I can tell that this would be my thought process because I've already thought to myself, "If I can't stand to read The Limits of Critique after I get home from work while I anxiously wait to hear back from UVA, am I even cut out for grad school? If I don't find that as fun and soothing as binging the next season of The West Wing while I'm waiting on pins and needles in a constant state of anxiety, maybe I don't belong..." Not sure if that's part of your anxiety or not, but if it is, I hope it's helpful to know that other people are in the same boat and to be reminded that this line of thinking isn't true. 

Yes! I get it 100%. I've read snippets of Orientalism here and there, but keep beating myself up for not finishing it while rewatching Masterchef and making pasta. I haven't thought of using a countdown, but I'll try anything at this point.

Hi all! I'm Audrie, and more than a little late to the game with this thread ?

I finished my BA (double major in English + Comm) in December and my last application went out at the beginning of the month! I'm a first-gen student who is mystified by even the application process for grad school, but I was lucky to have some amazing mentors (faculty and otherwise). I only applied to a few programs, but I am excited to see where this journey takes me. Congrats to everyone who is already hearing good news!! 

Edited by thoreaulymodern
explanation :')

1 hour ago, noneckmonsters said:

Is anyone applying to the English program at Northwestern? The deadline was December 1st and it sounds like the kind of school that would send early notices.... Has anyone heard back from them? 

Thank you!!! 

Hey I'm also applying there! I think that they usually respond in the first week of February if I'm not mistaken and that the rejections follow soon after. In the results page it looked like some people heard back reallllly late in January but my money is on like February 3rdish

4 hours ago, caffeinated applicant said:

I can tell that this would be my thought process because I've already thought to myself, "If I can't stand to read The Limits of Critique after I get home from work while I anxiously wait to hear back from UVA, am I even cut out for grad school? If I don't find that as fun and soothing as binging the next season of The West Wing while I'm waiting on pins and needles in a constant state of anxiety, maybe I don't belong..." 

I feel seen lol. I've definitely been experiencing this line of thought.

8 hours ago, NinaM said:

(I know I should practice patience and worrying won't help or rush the process, but I'm naturally an anxious person and so I just always have my email open now) (Also, does anyone wake up in the middle of the night and randomly check their emails even though there are no notifications? I'm trying to convince myself that this level of worrying is normal...). 

You are definitely not alone in your anxiety or your middle of the night email checking! I don't know what makes me think that a school would send me anything at 3 in the morning, but alas, every time I roll over I refresh my email. Last night this resulted in a dream about getting an interview notification, and then, after waking up, not quite knowing if I had dreamt it or if I had read the email while half asleep... (The former, unfortunately, was the case). 

7 hours ago, karamazov said:

You are definitely not alone in your anxiety or your middle of the night email checking! I don't know what makes me think that a school would send me anything at 3 in the morning, but alas, every time I roll over I refresh my email. Last night this resulted in a dream about getting an interview notification, and then, after waking up, not quite knowing if I had dreamt it or if I had read the email while half asleep... (The former, unfortunately, was the case). 

This! I spent an hour or two this morning in a half-asleep state having multiple dreams about waking up to an interview notification. I didn't know if it was real or not until I finally pulled myself into a fully-awake state and checked – alas, nothing yet.

11 hours ago, noneckmonsters said:

Is anyone applying to the English program at Northwestern? The deadline was December 1st and it sounds like the kind of school that would send early notices.... Has anyone heard back from them? 

Thank you!!! 

As @Rrandle101 has said, Northwestern's website (or was it an email? can't remember) mentions that they send out decisions in "early February."

8 hours ago, karamazov said:

54 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

This! I spent an hour or two this morning in a half-asleep state having multiple dreams about waking up to an interview notification. I didn't know if it was real or not until I finally pulled myself into a fully-awake state and checked – alas, nothing yet.

I'm honestly relieved that I'm not the only one going through this agony alone. I hope we all hear some good news by the time this application season is over!

4 hours ago, NinaM said:

I'm honestly relieved that I'm not the only one going through this agony alone. I hope we all hear some good news by the time this application season is over!

You are definitely not alone in this! I have taken to placing my phone out of reach at night to prevent myself from constantly checking my email. I have also been (attempting) to restrict myself to checking only three times a day (morning, lunch, and before bed), though some days are more successful than others.

I do highly recommend a nice cup of tea before bed for relaxing vibes! Honey and chamomile is a personal favorite of mine :) 

19 hours ago, noneckmonsters said:

Thank you!!! 

I am re-applying to Northwestern this cycle. Last year I applied, and I received a very nice rejection email from Nathan Mead in early February. So, I would say that late January/early February is when we will likely hear back

10 minutes ago, anglolatinkat said:

Did everyone who applied get the possible interview request email from UChicago?

No; interview requests go out to longlist candidates as far as I know. Perhaps @Warelin can weigh in on whether Chicago still extends acceptances to anyone they don't interview. I know last year we tried to confirm this but couldn't get any clear first hand accounts of anyone who had not interviewed and had been accepted (to my knowledge?).

2 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

No; interview requests go out to longlist candidates as far as I know. Perhaps @Warelin can weigh in on whether Chicago still extends acceptances to anyone they don't interview. I know last year we tried to confirm this but couldn't get any clear first hand accounts of anyone who had not interviewed and had been accepted (to my knowledge?).

I can't say with any certainty about the people who declined their offer, but everyone in my cohort was interviewed, which includes English and TAPS.

Edited by snorkles

4 minutes ago, Rrandle101 said:

I JUST GOT ADMITTED TO OSU!!! No email, check the website

Woah!! Congratulations to you on this wonderful, early, and under-the-radar acceptance! You must be feeling so relieved and hopeful about the rest of decision season.

Edited by Indecisive Poet