Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

22 minutes ago, K_J said:

Congrats!! That's awesome. Will you be accepting your offer at UBCO? I accepted mine! I was debating between my offer from UofT and UBCO, but UBCO is much closer to home for me. 

Amazing, I accepted mine as well! It will definitely be the adjustment coming from Vancouver but I cannot wait for these two years :) 

56 minutes ago, Juli3270 said:

Congarts to all those getting your acceptances :). 

Just a question, has anyone been accepted into U of T MSW 2 year stream with a GPA between 3.0 and 3.5? I gather from posts it seems all very high 3's or 4.

when I convert my GPA to the 4.0 scale, it comes out to 3.37 CGPA, semester before applying was 3.8 and A- in my research methods course

Just now, j13 said:

Amazing, I accepted mine as well! It will definitely be the adjustment coming from Vancouver but I cannot wait for these two years :) 

Yay! and agreed, I'll be coming from the Vancouver area as well. It'll be a nice change. ?

35 minutes ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Hi there. Thank you for sharing. For your friend who heard back early-mid April, were they first put on the waitlist? Or they jut heard later than the first wave? Thanks!

They heard in a later wave, they were not waitlisted. She also had a fairly high average and thousands of hours of paid experience. How they make their decisions is anyones guess. The only thing I cant guarantee is that's what they are doing this year...

I'm just trying to keep the mentality that if I haven't heard a rejection yet, im still in the running. No news is good news!

Edited by poppinMSW

A few people have asked, so just want to mention.

I got accepted to the advanced standing program at UofT. I'm finishing my BSW at York right now. Have around a 3.7 GPA, and not much experience in the field.

I've volunteered as a mentor at a middle school, and previously as a case worker for a charity that works with newcomers. In terms of professional experience, I've only done my practicum with youth which included informal counselling and program facilitation. 

I didn't have a tenured professor for my references either. Two contract profs (cause majority of York profs are contracted), and my field supervisor from the agency I'm doing my practicum with.

I put all the effort in the world into my written statement. I didn't think it would be enough truthfully, but thought it might be the best area to explain myself, my unrepresented demographic, and my passion for the field and the type of research I'd like to do. I think my written statement is the main reason I was granted acceptance. The right person must have read it and had it resonate with them in some way.

I got declined from Ryerson, and nothing yet from York. The written statements for both are very short, so I think they must have looked into my experience much more, and this is where I lack. 

If you don't have the experience, I just want to say that it is possible. I've heard and read that schools look for different types of students at different levels and who want to do different things. If your passion is there, you have every right to get admitted into the program. If it's not now, or next year, or in a few, you'll get there. Goodluck to everyone this year and those who will be applying again. If I've learned anything throughout this, it's that any denial is not personal. A lot of it has to do with having your application fall into the right hands. I think I'm fortunate in that regard. Goodluck again.

Hey there! 

Congratulations for those who have heard back and gotten accepted! It’s a fairly stressful process and it’s my second round of applying for my Master’s. I completed one degree from York and I’m now completing my HBSW.  I applied and got accepted into the advanced standing MSW program at McGill for Fall 2020. I’m wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts on McGill as a university and  if anyone has any insights about the program? Anything helps, thanks! Feel free to ask me any questions :) 

Edited by Tealover101

3 hours ago, j13 said:

Congrats on the acceptance!! That is awesome :)  

29 minutes ago, HopelessMSWApplicant said:

10 days after you receive the offer.

In general or off the waitlist? If in general That time seems soo short, and i guess somehow so unfair! Do they email you to tell you your status change or do you have to keep checking quest?

Edited by Vivi2020

31 minutes ago, Vivi2020 said:

In general or off the waitlist? If in general That time seems soo short, and i guess somehow so unfair! Do they email you to tell you your status change or do you have to keep checking quest?

In general. Someone I know got an offer to Waterloo back in January and had 10 days to accept the offer as well. She got an email. 

Edited by HopefulandCurious

Just wondering if anyone knows how many people are waitlisted for the two year UfT program, and what your chances are of still being accepted if you have been waitlisted. It is my first year applying straight from my undergrad and I got waitlisted for the 2020 year!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

22 minutes ago, AlexBeans said:

Just wondering if anyone knows how many people are waitlisted for the two year UfT program, and what your chances are of still being accepted if you have been waitlisted. It is my first year applying straight from my undergrad and I got waitlisted for the 2020 year!

how did they tell you that you got waitlisted, did they send an email?

1 hour ago, AlexBeans said:

Congratulations! How and when did you find out you are on the waitlist?

I still have not gotten an email and no changes to SGS portal or ACORN. Thanks!

Edited by SCCPHopeful

On 3/31/2020 at 11:52 AM, HopefulandCurious said:

Thanks for your input! I ask mainly because I applied in October for this program, and the next application is due May 1 - which is one month away. The program I've been waitlisted for starts in May, so realistically nothing in my application has changed. I still have the same perspective as I previously had. Maybe if I had applied with a year's difference, it would be different. Something to think about, anyway.... (This application was entirely different than when I had previously applied fresh out of my BSW, so I totally see how it could entirely change). :) 

Congrats on your acceptance! 

What program are you applying for where the due date is May 1st!

10 minutes ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Congratulations! How and when did you find out you are on the waitlist?

I still have not gotten an email and no changes to SGS portal or ACORN. Thanks!

Thank you! I just got an email with my regular email that I applied from, it just popped up this morning.

Best of luck!

On 3/30/2020 at 7:14 PM, poppinMSW said:

Anyone hear back from UofT for the two year program for waitlists or rejections?

I just got an email this afternoon I've been waitlisted. I'm going to ask to be taken off it though because I was accepted elsewhere

20 minutes ago, olivolia said:

Ahh getting very inpatient not hearing anything from Laurier !!! People were already hearing back by now last year ..

I think April 2 was the first day last year and the year before. I’m inpatient as well though! Crossing fingers for the both of us ! 

13 minutes ago, MSW_2020 said:

I think April 2 was the first day last year and the year before. I’m inpatient as well though! Crossing fingers for the both of us ! 

I checked last years forum and people post March 31 they got emails! But yes fingers crossed!!