2020 application thread

Sigaba

41 minutes ago, TMP said:

You'll be fine.  :) just do your homework.

Thank you!! I'm lucky enough to have a friend who held that same fellowship (it's my undergrad university) so I've been chatting with her and making sure to read up on the journal itself/read past issues of it.

Also think you shouldn’t go into debt for an MA! When I did mine, I made sure I received 100% funding (and then you can add that merit scholarship on your CV and mention it in your PhD application). 

I turned down both an Oxford and Cambridge MA acceptance back in 2017 in favor of a fully funded history MA offer at Durham university. I would have never ever considered taking a loan out to pay for an MA. But then again, some people do and it works fine for them financially. 

But I think you’re doing the right choice by not accepting the 18k offer. Are you waiting to hear from other schools?

On 3/6/2020 at 8:00 AM, Manana said:

I just got notified that I've been accepted to Oxford. I am so excited. Fingers crossed for funding... 

Congrats! It is an amazing opportunity.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but funding is extremely hard to come by for foreign nationals outside of the Commonwealth in the UK system. I had a fully funded PhD with a TAship and stipend offer 2 years ago, but it was pulled when the university admin realized their "legal responsibility" under the "new UK immigration law" after Brexit. To preempt this issue, I would immediately start looking for American sources of funding. Check out the Marshall Scholarships if their application window is open.

4 hours ago, Tigla said:

Congrats! It is an amazing opportunity.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but funding is extremely hard to come by for foreign nationals outside of the Commonwealth in the UK system. I had a fully funded PhD with a TAship and stipend offer 2 years ago, but it was pulled when the university admin realized their "legal responsibility" under the "new UK immigration law" after Brexit. To preempt this issue, I would immediately start looking for American sources of funding. Check out the Marshall Scholarships if their application window is open.

Thank you! I can't believe they pulled such an offer, what a disappointment... 

Indeed I am aware that my chances are slim. I am not an American, so American sourced of funding are irrelevant, but I am scouring the net for any relevant scholarships. I applied to the Ertegun scholarship.

Edited by Manana

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has any insight into the MAPSS program at UChicago? I recently was rejected from their PhD program but received a MAPSS offer. It's financially feasible for me, so I'm considering it. Do y'all know if MAPSS actually helps students get into PhD programs? Is it a valuable and enjoyable educational experience? I'd really appreciate any insights-- the program seems sort of confusing to me. 

26 minutes ago, Izzyb0616 said:

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has any insight into the MAPSS program at UChicago? I recently was rejected from their PhD program but received a MAPSS offer. It's financially feasible for me, so I'm considering it. Do y'all know if MAPSS actually helps students get into PhD programs? Is it a valuable and enjoyable educational experience? I'd really appreciate any insights-- the program seems sort of confusing to me. 

Hey, shoot me a message with any specific q's you may have!

1 hour ago, Izzyb0616 said:

Hi,

No insight, but was also offered admittance into this program. I already have a master's so it's making me think they didn't even read my application in full 

3 hours ago, Michael Scarn said:

I already have a master's so it's making me think they didn't even read my application in full 

It's actually not entirely uncommon for programs to do that. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you already have a Master's. :) Columbia does it as well, though the offer might be unfunded. 

6 hours ago, Izzyb0616 said:

Hi,

Use the search function.  This topic gets revisited every single year.  Mind you, you won't be as prepared to enter in the PhD program if you reapply in the fall. Other than the acceptance into the MAPSS, what will be new that will increase your chances of getting into the PhD?  

On 3/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, cryloren said:

Anyone know if UCLA is done sending out letters?

Specifically, has anyone received a rejection letter yet? I'm very nervous and I've heard nothing from UCLA yet. I just want closure at this point, and I understand that it's a busy time for them, but the time they're taking to get back to applicants seems a bit much.

1 hour ago, cryloren said:

Specifically, has anyone received a rejection letter yet? I'm very nervous and I've heard nothing from UCLA yet. I just want closure at this point, and I understand that it's a busy time for them, but the time they're taking to get back to applicants seems a bit much.

If people have posted about receiving rejection letters and acceptance letters then chances are you on a quiet waitlist. 

Anyone else have schools they've been accepted in cancel their campus visits? Michigan just emailed me saying they are cancelling the entire weekend (was supposed to start this Thursday). Doesn't sound like they are rescheduling but doing some teleconference stuff. I understand why they are doing it but I am quite disappointed. 

Edited by histori041512

1 hour ago, histori041512 said:

Anyone else have schools they've been accepted in cancel their campus visits? Michigan just emailed me saying they are cancelling the entire weekend (was supposed to start this Thursday). Doesn't sound like they are rescheduling but doing some teleconference stuff. I understand why they are doing it but I am quite disappointed. 

Same with UF, I had already purchased my plane ticket. Classes have not been cancelled yet, would it be bad form to contact my POIs and see if they’re amenable to meeting if I come anyway?

19 minutes ago, Madrugada said:

Same with UF, I had already purchased my plane ticket. Classes have not been cancelled yet, would it be bad form to contact my POIs and see if they’re amenable to meeting if I come anyway?

I don't see the harm in asking to meet one-on-one. The worst they can say is no and if that is the case, you can ask to Skype. 

I am sorry about your plane ticket. You can always try to contact the airline to see if they can refund you or give you credit to use at a later date on another flight.

Re: canceled recruitment visits

Many airlines are being more understanding than usual about canceled trips and will at least let you transfer what you paid to another trip. I've received emails from United indicating they'll change tickets booked through March 31st for free for 12 months.

9 hours ago, histori041512 said:

I meant to ask that as well! Columbia is potentially doing the same. Though they will reimburse us even if we cancel the trip, I possibly don't know how I can decide where to go by April 15th without having visited all schools. I am/was? supposed to do two visits in 10 days.

Coming from abroad, the teleconference idea seems so unfit. I've already had Skype sessions with my POI prior to acceptance, so it's more a matter of needing to meet the faculty, cohort, hearing about the program, and asking questions to current grad students. And I guess we won't be given more time to decide...!

Just now, Madrugada said:

The lonely Pitt rejection seems anomalous, anyone have any insight? 3 weeks ago the DGS told me that decisions were expected to be sent out within 2-3 weeks but I haven’t heard anything since. 

Same here, waiting on Pitt and haven't heard anything yet.

6 minutes ago, Madrugada said:

Right, between the solitary February acceptance and today’s rejection I have no idea what to expect. 

That's exactly how I feel! I'm trying not to assume the worst because silence is still better than an outright rejection but the wait has definitely been really difficult. On the department's website it says decisions on admission and financial aid for the program will be announced around March 15th, so at least it seems like we're close to knowing. Keeping my fingers crossed for us both!

3 hours ago, Marier said:

I meant to ask that as well! Columbia is potentially doing the same. Though they will reimburse us even if we cancel the trip, I possibly don't know how I can decide where to go by April 15th without having visited all schools. I am/was? supposed to do two visits in 10 days.

Coming from abroad, the teleconference idea seems so unfit. I've already had Skype sessions with my POI prior to acceptance, so it's more a matter of needing to meet the faculty, cohort, hearing about the program, and asking questions to current grad students. And I guess we won't be given more time to decide...!

I am pretty set on Michigan but I really did want to see the town and meet the cohort and other grad students. I was planning to try to scope out a potential roommate. I'll have to start looking at Facebook groups so something now.

13 hours ago, histori041512 said:

Damn. I wonder if Indiana will do the same with theirs at the end of the month. I know a lot of people use their visit weekends to make their final decisions (obviously a smart move) but if Michigan isn't holding theirs this week, that means some people may not make a decision until closer to April. I'm still on the waitlist and I've been informed that I'm an alternate for any Americanist who doesn't accept their offer, but it's going to be rough holding out until the last minute. 

4 hours ago, Marier said:

41 minutes ago, histori041512 said:

I am pretty set on Michigan but I really did want to see the town and meet the cohort and other grad students. I was planning to try to scope out a potential roommate. I'll have to start looking at Facebook groups so something now.

If both of you are interested in talking to current grad students, I would suggest getting in contact with your potential advisor's students and asking them to speak about their experiences on the phone/via Skype/etc. Most people tend to be a lot more forthcoming when they're not leaving a paper trail.

1 hour ago, histori041512 said:

Let me know if you'd like to speak to someone who went through UofM for their undergraduate and graduate degrees, a good friend of mine has been in Ann Arbor for 10+ years and lived on campus/worked as an RA. She knows the city like the back of her hand.