2020 application thread

Sigaba

39 minutes ago, Titus Flavius said:

We don't get in anywhere, the plan is we form our own university. Outlaw academics, roaming the high seas pirate-style. Shiver me citations, matey!

First, you need to create a maze of byzantine regulations and requirements, then call it a student handbook. Once you finish writing it, you can never update it-- seriously, some programs' last update was in the 80s.

8 hours ago, histori041512 said:

Anyone going to the University of Michigan accepted student weekend next month?

If they take me off the waitlist (fingers crossed), I'd probably go. Though it's unclear if I'd make it off the waitlist in time for them to invite me.

Rejection from Boston College after emailing DGS. My portal hasn't updated, but he let me know all PhD offers have gone out and that they are now considering applications for the MA. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if anyone was also still waiting. 3 rejections, still waiting on CU Boulder and NYU. Pretty sure NYU is a rejection, so hopefully Boulder will be an acceptance.

15 minutes ago, BalkanItinerant said:

Just got a rejection from NYU. I suppose an online profile and an email address on their portal genuinely doesn't mean anything. I wonder how much longer I'll have access to their online resources.

I’m sorry to hear that. :( I hope you get some good news today. 

18 hours ago, eva5678 said:

Has anyone heard anything from American University?

When I applied to AU years ago, they let me know around early March.  Accepted w/o funding.

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

The fact that there still exist programs like this in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty...

Often political (among faculty) or a limited number of slots going to students they suspect will accept. I was accepted to a program without funding in 2016. Talked to my PoI a year or two later and he said "you were a great candidate, but we didn't have the 'pull' necessary, plus nobody thought someone from the E. Coast would want to come to X location."

Edited by psstein

On 2/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Rejection from Boston College after emailing DGS. My portal hasn't updated, but he let me know all PhD offers have gone out and that they are now considering applications for the MA. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if anyone was also still waiting. 3 rejections, still waiting on CU Boulder and NYU. Pretty sure NYU is a rejection, so hopefully Boulder will be an acceptance.

Who did you apply to work with at Boulder? 

On 2/22/2020 at 3:27 PM, IGoToWar said:

Related to the questions above, and directed to currently attending grads/post-grads:

For someone deciding between programs and about to undertake a PhD, would you say it is important to have a clear roadmap/plan/timeline for what grants and fellowships to target, conferences to attend, and people to meet before beginning the program? Or from your experience is it harder to plan/foresee opportunities without understanding your field and department more after being enrolled for a year or two?

Also, both from online digging and from personal connections with other grad students, I notice a wide spectrum in terms of PhDs/scholars that one can find very little information about, and scholars who have meticulously maintained social media platforms and websites, which detail publications, conferences, and research interests. What are your thoughts on having a kind of public profile that makes you easily searchable and "connected" on the internet? Is it more practical to do so, both in terms of eventual job prospects (in/out of academia) and just for research networking? Is it a waste of time?

I want to come back with this issue of online presence just because I've been bumping into it in the last week or so. 

Christopher Long, now Dean at MSU, published this widely circulated blog post: The Googled Graduate Student. This summarizes the point I was trying to make earlier: you may think digital presence does not affect your chances at anything, and that's fine. However, people are going to google you. You want to control as much as you can what they find (eg: your graduate student profile vs pictures of you on Spring Break 2016). Listen to the first ten minutes or so of Bonni Stachowiak talking with Kris Shaffer about online presence. She provides an example of what appeared on Google when she searched herself and how that changed as she became more active. 

Clearly, I'm arguing for people having online presence to better control what people find about themselves. It is perfectly fine to decide not to have online presence (like twitter or a personal website). However, remember that deciding not to be active online does not mean that you don't have online presence. 

4 hours ago, Michael Scarn said:

Does anyone know if University of Chicago sends rejections in waves? Still waiting on confirmation of a decision from them. 

You'll probably get a MAPPS/whatever the other one is called offer in a few weeks.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, michiganundergrad said:

I'm still waiting to hear from one more school but I'm leaning towards Boulder at this point 

congrats! I was just rejected unfortunately.  I look forward to applying again next year. :)

5 minutes ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Did anyone else not get accepted anywhere this year? Still waiting on NYU and Boston College who are evaluating my application for the MA, but even if I get in, probably couldn’t go. 

Still waiting on Penn and Fordham; was waitlisted at Indiana.

2 minutes ago, Titus Flavius said:

Still waiting on Penn and Fordham; was waitlisted at Indiana.

Hopefully something pans out for you... wishing you the best luck!

If anyone not accepted this year wants to keep in touch over the summer as we are working on applications again, I would love that.