Jump to content

2020 application thread


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, psstein said:

 

If both of you are interested in talking to current grad students, I would suggest getting in contact with your potential advisor's students and asking them to speak about their experiences on the phone/via Skype/etc. Most people tend to be a lot more forthcoming when they're not leaving a paper trail.

I am reaching out to some current students today. The director of the graduate program said that would be a good option for us and that they will be having teleconference meetings on the other information they wanted to share with all of us who were coming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been taken off the waitlist at Indiana! Just received my formal offer today and I have to say that I'm relieved/emotional/over the moon. I'm going to get a PhD! I'm still on the waitlist at

quite a lot to unpack here. you assume that I’m not using this as a way to put a better application forward next year which is quite a big assumption to make. I’d like to recontextualize: I said I was

sorry but why do you feel the need to be such an asshole about this? the poster didn't get into a program they really wanted to and are upset about the way the rejection was dealt with. sounds perfect

Ohio State has cancelled visitation day as well.  We'll be moving to teleconferencing.  Just announced and details TBD.  Definitely reach out to any graduate students in your areas of interest by email and ask about doing a Skype/phone call. We don't really get the lists ahead of time and can't reach out to anyone ourselves :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TMP said:

Ohio State has cancelled visitation day as well.  We'll be moving to teleconferencing.  Just announced and details TBD.  Definitely reach out to any graduate students in your areas of interest by email and ask about doing a Skype/phone call. We don't really get the lists ahead of time and can't reach out to anyone ourselves :)

UC Davis has as well and will be teleconferencing. I'm happy to chat with any prospective students about the program. TMP is spot on (as usual), current grads are an excellent resource! Doesn't hurt to ask your POI to put you in touch with some of their students.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TMP said:

Ohio State has cancelled visitation day as well.  We'll be moving to teleconferencing.  Just announced and details TBD.  Definitely reach out to any graduate students in your areas of interest by email and ask about doing a Skype/phone call. We don't really get the lists ahead of time and can't reach out to anyone ourselves :)

That's such a bummer, especially as I have international travel already lined up. I totally understand why schools are doing this, but to decide the next 6+ years without seeing schools is going to be really tough! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all. I have gotten most of my offers (still waiting on one) and am curious if anyone has/or is currently attending any of these schools. I'd love to chat if possible!

Simon Fraser University - 13k (TAship). funding. After paying tuition, this leaves me with about 7k.

University of British Columbia, 18k (TAship). plus international tuition award. After covering tuition, this leaves me with 12k of funding.

Washington State University - tuition remission plus 13k (TAship).

I'm still waiting on one and would need their answer before deciding...I'm getting major anxiety from not realizing until now that Canadian schools want a reply much sooner than US schools (both SFU and UBC want one in about a week and half!). I may ask for an extension, especially since the remaining US school usually announces results later in March.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm empathetic to those who want to visit campuses in person--it helped me make my decision! I'm also grateful to my department for being cautious. Our county has had several cases, including of unknown origin (community spread), and for those of us who care for elderly relatives, it's a relief to be part of a department that takes this virus seriously. As one of my professors said, even if we personally are not in a high-risk group, we need to take precautions because of the vulnerable populations with whom we come into contact who cannot effectively fight the virus due to lack of resources, underlying conditions and age. I know teleconferencing isn't ideal, but hopefully it will give you enough information to make the decision that's right for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, starshiphistory said:

Hello all. I have gotten most of my offers (still waiting on one) and am curious if anyone has/or is currently attending any of these schools. I'd love to chat if possible!

Simon Fraser University - 13k (TAship). funding. After paying tuition, this leaves me with about 7k.

University of British Columbia, 18k (TAship). plus international tuition award. After covering tuition, this leaves me with 12k of funding.

Washington State University - tuition remission plus 13k (TAship).

I'm still waiting on one and would need their answer before deciding...I'm getting major anxiety from not realizing until now that Canadian schools want a reply much sooner than US schools (both SFU and UBC want one in about a week and half!). I may ask for an extension, especially since the remaining US school usually announces results later in March.

 

I work at WSU and can answer any questions you have about it or the area. I work with the grad school and one of my coworkers is in the History PhD program now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I'm empathetic to those who want to visit campuses in person--it helped me make my decision! I'm also grateful to my department for being cautious. Our county has had several cases, including of unknown origin (community spread), and for those of us who care for elderly relatives, it's a relief to be part of a department that takes this virus seriously. As one of my professors said, even if we personally are not in a high-risk group, we need to take precautions because of the vulnerable populations with whom we come into contact who cannot effectively fight the virus due to lack of resources, underlying conditions and age. I know teleconferencing isn't ideal, but hopefully it will give you enough information to make the decision that's right for you.

I totally agree that this is the right decision. As I am on the East side of Washington state/western Idaho, I am concerned about getting sick myself but I'm more concerned about getting other more vulnerable people sick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marier said:

I meant to ask that as well! Columbia is potentially doing the same. Though they will reimburse us even if we cancel the trip, I possibly don't know how I can decide where to go by April 15th without having visited all schools. I am/was? supposed to do two visits in 10 days.

Coming from abroad, the teleconference idea seems so unfit. I've already had Skype sessions with my POI prior to acceptance, so it's more a matter of needing to meet the faculty, cohort, hearing about the program, and asking questions to current grad students. And I guess we won't be given more time to decide...!

Could you not still use the money to visit NYC and quietly walk through campus? Just a (perhaps dastardly) idea ....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hojoojoh said:

Could you not still use the money to visit NYC and quietly walk through campus? Just a (perhaps dastardly) idea ....

Given the circumstances in this country, I just wouldn't come from abroad. Best to keep travel to minimum, especially in a population dense place like NYC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you reaching out to students of professors, try your best to get a range of years. Someone finishing their dissertation is going to have a radically different view of a professor as a mentor compared to a current first or second year, especially since most departments are in the midst of "redefining what it means to do a PhD in History." As noted earlier, offer to call the student if you want them to be a bit more candid. Politics are a real thing in grad school and it is best to start learning how to play / avoid the game.

Edited by Tigla
My wicked spelling strikes fears in its enemies!
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

Could you not still use the money to visit NYC and quietly walk through campus? Just a (perhaps dastardly) idea ....

Yes absolutely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone (who was rejected from Columbia) receive an email from the faculty advisor in the MA in European History, Politics, and Society asking to transfer their application to that department? He wants to have a phone call this week also. 
 

Trying to suss out if this was a wide email or a personal one. 

Edited by jocelynbymarcjacobs
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Did anyone (who was rejected from Columbia) receive an email from the faculty advisor in the MA in European History, Politics, and Society asking to transfer their application to that department? He wants to have a phone call this week also. 
 

Trying to suss out if this was a wide email or a personal one. 

Actually, knowing the stretch of the e-mail won't help you. And even if you get a response here, it won't answer your question whether it was personal or general. 

Prepare for the phone interview as if this was a general email but act as if it was a personal one. 

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AP said:

Actually, knowing the stretch of the e-mail won't help you. And even if you get a response here, it won't answer your question whether it was personal or general. 

Prepare for the phone interview as if this was a general email but act as if it was a personal one. 

Good luck!

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 11:47 PM, Tigla said:

For those of you reaching out to students of professors, try your best to get a range of years. Someone finishing their dissertation is going to have a radically different view of a professor as a mentor compared to a current first or second year, especially since most departments are in the midst of "redefining what it means to do a PhD in History." As noted earlier, offer to call the student if you want them to be a bit more candid. Politics are a real thing in grad school and it is best to start learning how to play / avoid the game.

First and second years are always overflowing with advice and information but tend to know way less about the department and academia than they think they do.

People in their fifth year and above tend to be extremely cynical about the department, academia and the world, which may be warranted but often results in unhelpful/inaccessible advice.

In conclusion, ask third and fourth years.

Edited by L13
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, L13 said:

First and second years are always overflowing with advice and information but tend to know way less about the department and academia than they think they do.

People in their fifth year and above tend to be extremely cynical about the department, academia and the world, which may be warranted but often results in unhelpful/inaccessible advice.

In conclusion, ask third and fourth years.

Actually, ask to a diverse range of students. focusing on any one cluster of years will only give you limited advice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, Madrugada said:

The lonely Pitt rejection seems anomalous, anyone have any insight? 3 weeks ago the DGS told me that decisions were expected to be sent out within 2-3 weeks but I haven’t heard anything since. 

@Madrugada any updates for you from Pitt this week? Still radio silence for me. Pitt is technically still on spring break this week and all of the in-person classes for the whole university have been halted for the rest of the semester because of Coronavirus precautions, so I'm not too surprised I haven't heard anything this week but I was just curious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, historyofamanda said:

@Madrugada any updates for you from Pitt this week? Still radio silence for me. Pitt is technically still on spring break this week and all of the in-person classes for the whole university have been halted for the rest of the semester because of Coronavirus precautions, so I'm not too surprised I haven't heard anything this week but I was just curious.

Same, hoping for good news for both of us soon, since campus visits are looking unlikely this year!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TMP said:

One thing to DEFINITELY ask is the future of funding and jobs given the strong possibility that this COVID-19 will have serious financial impact as the 2008 financial crisis that changed the academic landscape from then to now.

My anxiety does not need this kthx. Next year is my first year on the market, and I'm about to have my "here's my dissertation, world" conference presentation cut out from under me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TMP said:

One thing to DEFINITELY ask is the future of funding and jobs given the strong possibility that this COVID-19 will have serious financial impact as the 2008 financial crisis that changed the academic landscape from then to now.

Yes, but I think this should be worded careful so that it is a useful question and not an invitation for speculation and anxiety. 

Something along the lines of: "What professionalization opportunities exist for graduate students?" 

As far as funding, I seriously doubt current students would have any useful information for new applicants. That said, if your offer has guaranteed funding, it has guaranteed funding as much as possible. 

Jobs, that's another story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for some clarity: I'm currently on two waitlists right now and have been in correspondence with both programs and have been assured that I'd receive an update as soon as they have one (said in the positive about being taken off the waitlist). My question is, if everyone accepts their offers, will they contact me to say that they can't offer me admission once they find out or will I have to wait until April 15th?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all.

This is a slightly uncomfortable question, but does anyone have any insight to what the environment regarding sexual assault now is at UBC's history department?  I've contacted current grad students to chat about the program in general, but it's a bit of hard subject to bring up and easier I'm sure here, online. In 2015 they had issues -- a grad student assaulted and harassed other students, it took a long time to expel him, and from what I can glean from the media some profs really stuck up for the students but the head of the department (who is now someone else) took awhile to actually do much and possibly deterred students from reporting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

Just for some clarity: I'm currently on two waitlists right now and have been in correspondence with both programs and have been assured that I'd receive an update as soon as they have one (said in the positive about being taken off the waitlist). My question is, if everyone accepts their offers, will they contact me to say that they can't offer me admission once they find out or will I have to wait until April 15th?

They should send you a rejection letter if you aren't accepted off the waitlist. I would not expect a personal email, but some programs might send you one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.