MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

16 hours ago, tdrae said:

The site said interviews would take place in Feb, but haven't heard a peep.

Additionally waiting on 

- Columbia

- Hunter 

- Bard

- NYU

All for painting. 

If anyone has heard from these schools, or has any additional insight...I would love to know.

I know (think) Hunter (painting at least) and NYU are a bit later than others. I didn't hear from Hunter until Feb 14 last year! 

Also received a Rutgers rejection a few days, going from wait list to rejection stings, especially for one of my top choice, but so it goes ‾\_(ツ)_/‾. Good luck to those interviewing! I think that place has something special. 

I did recieve a RISD painting interview request for those of you waiting for info on that.  

8 minutes ago, anxiouslywaiting27 said:

Had my MICA interview and was so nervous and feel like I did not do very well. I haven't heard from RISD for painting which is sad because it was my top choice. Feeling very defeated in this process right now. 

Hang in there! This process is very opaque and can indeed feel defeating and hard to figure out. Remember that sometimes "right fits" matter and not hearing back doesn't reflect on the quality of your work. I hope you hear good news! 

In past years Columbia reaches out for interviews via phone the first week of January. Since it’s Friday it seems like a rejection for me unless they are running behind schedule (which they very well may be since no one here has gotten an interview request...). I thought I’d share since folks are asking. 

Edited by HydroHydra

2 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting27 said:

Had my MICA interview and was so nervous and feel like I did not do very well. I haven't heard from RISD for painting which is sad because it was my top choice. Feeling very defeated in this process right now. 

I really feel you on this! I felt similarly in the 2 interviews I've had so far; I'm so anxious during the interview that it's hard for me to give my best answers...and then afterward the "right" answers that I should have given seem so clear. The interviews are the hardest part of this process for me, by far.

If anyone was looking at these universities...

Ive gotten responses from:

Arizona State University, Tempe (Ceramics MFA) 

Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, New York, also for Ceramics MFA)

Still waiting on: 

Alfred University

University of Arkansas

Good luck all! 

Did anyone apply to UNM for creative writing? Their MFA application guidelines specifically state NOT to send official transcripts until you've been admitted. I got a letter from them a couple days ago asking for official transcripts, but I haven't been admitted.. They already have my unofficial transcripts, so I'm not sure why they're asking for official ones out of the blue. Anyone else get such a letter from them?

Heard back from CalArts and Slade for interviews several days ago. Also got offered a place at RCA but they wanted 2000 pounds for deposits before Feb. 2nd.....

Haven't heard back from MIT, UCLA, Columbia... 

I'm extremely stressed about MIT because the application was turned in on Dec. 31st and it seems they have reviewed my portfolio video... 

13 hours ago, latenightlatte said:

I know (think) Hunter (painting at least) and NYU are a bit later than others. I didn't hear from Hunter until Feb 14 last year! 

Also received a Rutgers rejection a few days, going from wait list to rejection stings, especially for one of my top choice, but so it goes ‾\_(ツ)_/‾. Good luck to those interviewing! I think that place has something special. 

I did recieve a RISD painting interview request for those of you waiting for info on that.  

When did you receive the RISD interview request if you don't mind me asking?

4 hours ago, zzc said:

Heard back from CalArts and Slade for interviews several days ago. Also got offered a place at RCA but they wanted 2000 pounds for deposits before Feb. 2nd.....

Haven't heard back from MIT, UCLA, Columbia... 

I'm extremely stressed about MIT because the application was turned in on Dec. 31st and it seems they have reviewed my portfolio video... 

Congrats to all your interviews and offer! I am curious what program did you apply to for CalArts if you don't mind me ask? 

Hi all, anyone have info on Northwestern or UCI's programs?

Here's where I'm at:

UPenn - interview upcoming

Northwestern - interview upcoming

Stanford - nothing

UCI - nothing

WashU - nothing (but probably way too early for them?)

Any insights?

17 hours ago, amy8cc said:

Hi all, anyone have info on Northwestern or UCI's programs?

Here's where I'm at:

UPenn - interview upcoming

Northwestern - interview upcoming

Stanford - nothing

UCI - nothing

WashU - nothing (but probably way too early for them?)

Any insights?

UC Irvine interviews are taking place this week. They emailed a schedule to all applicants who have been invited for interviews. I don't think they are extending any more interviews at this point :( 

8 minutes ago, AFL said:

Bard / Columbia MFA in Painting interview requests? Anyone received one yet?

Also looking out for this but in photography. Usually Bard sends out interviews and rejections through the portal so I think everyone will find out at the same time.

1 hour ago, paintpaintpaintpaint said:

Anyone heard anything from UCLA? 

I am wondering the same thing. I have heard from UCLA students that sculpture is reviewing applications either late last week or this week. Last year interviews went out around this time for photography, so it shouldn't be much longer, fingers crossed!