MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

6 hours ago, apple-orange-pear-plum said:

So I work in undergraduate admissions... a handful of people try negotiate their scholarship amounts after acceptance, and almost all of the time those students end up receiving more funding. Has anyone in this forum tried this with a graduate program? I got into a program with tuition waived and a fellowship/assistantship in exchange for 20 hrs of TA work. Accepting these fellowships are like accepting a job offer, and for job offers I know its best to try negotiate your pay.  I'm a bit worried I will come off as ungrateful or needy, but I don't just want to assume that their offer non-negotiable. Any advice? 

Hi there, in this case ^ what would you be negotiating? Asking for more fellowship money for the 20 hrs of TA work? Asking for same amount of money with less than 20 hrs of TA Work?

Curious to know what terms are negotiable and which are not.

It sounds like you have knowledge in this area!

I am great at business/salary negotiations, but know nothing about what's kosher to negotiate with grad mfa offers.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by pollypocket

22 minutes ago, pollypocket said:

Hi there, in this case ^ what would you be negotiating? Asking for more fellowship money for the 20 hrs of TA work? Asking for same amount of money with less than 20 hrs of TA Work?

Curious to know what terms are negotiable and which are not.

It sounds like you have knowledge in this area!

I am great at business/salary negotiations, but know nothing about what's kosher to negotiate with grad mfa offers.

What are your thoughts?

Jumping in here to give my two cents... My impression is that the amount of money/tuition remission that comes with specific percentage of TAship is set. For example, the TAship typically needs to be at least 25% to qualify for a full tuition waiver. Some schools (like Michigan Stamps) limit the amount of TA hours to be below 25% so that unless you teach a class as an instructor of record, you wouldn't get full tuition waiver.

In terms of what is negotiable... speaking from my experience, one program offered me some top-off funds on top of the TA tuition remission + stipend, and nominated me for some grad-school-wide fellowship which, if I do get it, would help a lot. So, while I didn't negotiate, I feel like even if the specifics of TA hours or TA stipend may not be negotiable, the program may have other ways to throw money at you.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:02 PM, Noir said:

you spoke to your disciplinary or in general?

I actually called to ask about official transcripts as other institutions have asked me to send them, and I’m pretty sure I did not state my discipline. Their response was that they do not need official transcripts until they offer an official invitation, and that they “are just now finalizing the application review process”.

I am inferring that new genres, because it is such a small program, was able to sift through applicants and interviews at a much faster pace than the rest of the larger departments. 

For anyone who is interested in knowing NYU and Hunter interview, RISD D+M interview, here is my situation:

NYU MFA Studio Art, in person interview invitation via email on Feb 22th, interview on March 7th

Hunter MFA Studio Art Combined media, in person interview invitation via email on Feb 12th, doodle sign up for in person interview released on Feb 17th, interview on March 14th

RISD D+M interviewed on Feb 10th, they mentioned they would make decision(not notification) on Feb 25th, but nothing from them yet

Yale Sculpture reject

Columbia uni, no interview, no MFA in slide room, probably reject

UCL Slade reject,  I applied to MFA but I believe for undergrad you have to apply the MA degree then go for the MFA, what a pain 

goldsmith, nothing yet

SAIC film animation,  reject through mail 

29 minutes ago, Referableorc said:

For anyone who is interested in knowing NYU and Hunter interview, RISD D+M interview, here is my situation:

NYU MFA Studio Art, in person interview invitation via email on Feb 22th, interview on March 7th

Hunter MFA Studio Art Combined media, in person interview invitation via email on Feb 12th, doodle sign up for in person interview released on Feb 17th, interview on March 14th

RISD D+M interviewed on Feb 10th, they mentioned they would make decision(not notification) on Feb 25th, but nothing from them yet

Yale Sculpture reject

UCL Slade reject,  I applied to MFA but I believe for undergrad you have to apply the MA degree then go for the MFA, what a pain 

goldsmith, nothing yet

I also interviewed for RISD D+M on Feb 10th, however I think they mentioned that the decisions will be released on Feb 25th.

Anybody heard from Pratt Digital Imaging?

Edited by Ag.samii

9 minutes ago, Ag.samii said:

I also interviewed for RISD D+M on Feb 10th, however I think they mentioned that the decisions will be released on Feb 25th.

I also interviewed RISD D+M on 14th of Feb and was told that decisions will be released on 25th of Feb. Though didn't receive any email until now. I hope we all get the answer within this week.

57 minutes ago, Referableorc said:

Yale Sculpture reject

goldsmith, nothing yet

omg for RISD D+M I also interviewed on Feb 10th and they told me about 25th as well. Heard nothing yet. tbh I wouldn't be so positive about it now

Just now, ArinL said:

omg for RISD D+M I also interviewed on Feb 10th and they told me about 25th as well. Heard nothing yet. tbh I wouldn't be so positive about it now

19 minutes ago, huthuhle said:

I also interviewed RISD D+M on 14th of Feb and was told that decisions will be released on 25th of Feb. Though didn't receive any email until now. I hope we all get the answer within this week.

31 minutes ago, Ag.samii said:

I don’t feel positive about it either. The interview was too short to talk about my works and they didn’t show interests at all

12 minutes ago, Referableorc said:

I don’t feel positive about it either. The interview was too short to talk about my works and they didn’t show interests at all

Mines as well. And I saw online that someone already received the offer from D+M, like a week ago. 

5 minutes ago, Referableorc said:

My interview with MICA photographic and Electronic media went so much better. idk when we're supposed to be getting acceptance/rejections letters and it's getting weird with what you've said

On 2/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, B_Montague said:

I got an acceptance letter in the mail recently (dated Feb 13th), but no email!

Yeah I'm patiently waiting on my acceptance package but it's taking so long!? What department did you apply to? I got an email from faculty who told me admissions were supposed to email me with important next steps and that I should've received a package in the mail but so far I haven't gotten anything? Aghhtt!!!!

12 minutes ago, 6370013010006936780 said:

Yeah I'm patiently waiting on my acceptance package but it's taking so long!? What department did you apply to? I got an email from faculty who told me admissions were supposed to email me with important next steps and that I should've received a package in the mail but so far I haven't gotten anything? Aghhtt!!!!

Mine took forever too! It's just an acceptance letter with your scholarship info. Other things in the package are all the things you can read online!

https://www.saic.edu/admissions/graduate/admitted-grads

2 hours ago, Referableorc said:

Yale Sculpture reject

goldsmith, nothing yet

actually Slade MFA and MA are the same level programmes, and i would say MA even more strict (MFA just focuses on practice but MA also need you to draft an abstract/study proposal for essay when you applied)

13 hours ago, Bubby said:

I actually called to ask about official transcripts as other institutions have asked me to send them, and I’m pretty sure I did not state my discipline. Their response was that they do not need official transcripts until they offer an official invitation, and that they “are just now finalizing the application review process”.

I am inferring that new genres, because it is such a small program, was able to sift through applicants and interviews at a much faster pace than the rest of the larger departments. 

actually new genres has already asked transcripts and interviewed the finalists...

just wondering when will they confirm the final result...(maybe they have already offered spots for the two lucky applicants) 

Edited by Noir

3 minutes ago, Noir said:

actually Slade MFA and MA are the same level programmes, and i would say MA even more strict (MFA just focuses on practice but MA also need you to draft an abstract/study proposal for essay when you applied)

Really? I saw the website says you have to be graduate standing for the MFA and MA is for the undergrad? UK system is very different tbh

I thought MA is like a liberal art, critical theory focused program and they designed this program to bridge students into the practice . But If what you said is true, I guess the school is really hard to get in