MFA 2020 Freak Out Forum

hinata

1 hour ago, XSX said:

Also got rejected from UCLA... out of the six painting programs I applied to, RISD is the only one I got accepted into. And i only applied there hoping I would be one of the lucky candidates nominated for a full-ride scholarship this year, which apparently painting people are not eligible for. So unfortunately, I probably won't end up going, which may seem ridiculous to some, but I personally cannot justify spending that amount of money to go back to school. I went into this process telling myself I would only go to grad school if it didn't cost me anything. I recently had my undergrad student loans permanently discharged, due to me being disabled, and taking on student debt again just isn't an option.  

That being said, I feel pretty beaten down and burnt out after all of this. People keep saying "there's always next year" but that's not reassuring enough. I feel like I did my research and applied to all the schools that felt like good fits, and that I really wanted to go to. I can't imagine what a "next year" even looks like in terms of having to reapply. Then again, I also can't fathom staying where I am one more year without completely losing my sanity. 

Not sure where I'm going with this. If anyone has any insight, advice, or thoughts in general to share, that would be great. 

Congrats to all 

Congrats on your RISD acceptance! this was my second year applying and what I learned was most people at top programs apply more than once. I think applying multiple times and trying to see your work as it is seen by a committee is good experience. Waiting is tough, but if you feel like taking on loans is not an option, I would re-apply. I met some people at top programs who had applied 5 years in a row. Good luck!

2 hours ago, XSX said:

Also got rejected from UCLA... out of the six painting programs I applied to, RISD is the only one I got accepted into. And i only applied there hoping I would be one of the lucky candidates nominated for a full-ride scholarship this year, which apparently painting people are not eligible for. So unfortunately, I probably won't end up going, which may seem ridiculous to some, but I personally cannot justify spending that amount of money to go back to school. I went into this process telling myself I would only go to grad school if it didn't cost me anything. I recently had my undergrad student loans permanently discharged, due to me being disabled, and taking on student debt again just isn't an option.  

That being said, I feel pretty beaten down and burnt out after all of this. People keep saying "there's always next year" but that's not reassuring enough. I feel like I did my research and applied to all the schools that felt like good fits, and that I really wanted to go to. I can't imagine what a "next year" even looks like in terms of having to reapply. Then again, I also can't fathom staying where I am one more year without completely losing my sanity. 

Not sure where I'm going with this. If anyone has any insight, advice, or thoughts in general to share, that would be great. 

Congrats to all 

I get this. I was accepted to SAIC & Cranbrook which are reputed to be the top schools in my interest area, BUT they would both put me massively into debt and this is even WITH scholarships / grant money. I was told I was a "top candidate" at the end of a state school interview, which really got my hopes up, but I was rejected as a "top alternate candidate." That was definitely a huge blow. I also feel a little ridiculous turning those schools down, because they're really good for fiber! But, like, my professor in undergraduate told me, "There's no point in going to graduate school, if you are going to be in so much debt afterward you can't make art." 

I'm waiting for one more school to post results, and if they accept me then I'll be able to afford graduate school. And if not... it sucks, but I'm going to reapply next year and in the meantime try and get a job that's connected to the arts. I'm moving back to the states after 5 years abroad, so this is a huge step and kind of terrifying lol. I have literally nothing in the states anymore. 
If I don't get in, it definitely feels like I'm putting my life on hold. I also don't know where I'm going with this. I just sympathize with what you're going through. 

Edited by aniben3

7 hours ago, drinking wine from a shell said:

Hey congratulations on your acceptances! when and how did you hear from SAIC sculpture if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks! I got a letter in the mail dated February 26th. 

2 hours ago, XSX said:

Also got rejected from UCLA... out of the six painting programs I applied to, RISD is the only one I got accepted into. And i only applied there hoping I would be one of the lucky candidates nominated for a full-ride scholarship this year, which apparently painting people are not eligible for.

Hi XSX,  

I could have sworn that the full ride scholarships were open to painting students. I believe I discussed this specifically with multiple people, both teachers and students, in the RISD painting department. I would double check before you decide.

While I can't speak to your own situation, I certainly can relate to dealing with the school rejections. While I was accepted to RISD/SAIC/WashU I got rejected outright at Rutgers, UCLA, Hunter, and probably CMU. I also got an interview at Yale but was ultimately rejected.

I'd like to think my experience just shows how random and unpredictable admissions gets with MFA programs. The professors have to juggle their own artistic interests, make a cohort with a diversity of styles and subjects, and they also have to decide if they can imagine working with someone for two years after only talking for maybe 30 minutes during an interview. With all of these factors, the admissions process gets highly subjective and potentially flawed. When I'm down on myself about my results I forget this, but eventually I remember that I simply can't entirely know what's at play in the admission process. 

I got rejected from UCLA, last night.

I was caught REALLY off guard. My sculpture portfolio is very strong, and I have worked on a lot of high profile, beautiful public artwork. So, I looked up the types of art that comes out of UCLA. Suffice to say, if I would have been aware of the kind of art UCLA outputs, I would have never applied. I should have looked into the professors long before. Honestly, if I would have been accepted by UCLA, I still would have looked up their arts program, and would have definitely decided against attending.

I think the best place for a serious artist who enjoys making fine art, wants to teach it via an MFA, and is influenced by the masters, should probably attend an art institute like Cranbrook, California College of the Arts, San Francisco Art Institute, etc... and what-not. Seems like the UC System really leans toward the esoteric, ivory tower, SJW type of thing. Stuff that is emotionally out of reach for the common people.

I applied to UCLA on a whim because I'm a Southern Californian living in NorCal and I didn't really think it out. I'm gonna make an effort to put out applications to art institutes, in the fall, so I can nail down that MFA and start teaching at school.

If you got into UCLA, make good art, please. Don't get brainwashed into making absurd, ugly garbage just because your instructors think that you need to "push the envelope" and make it "visceral" and "bleeding edge." Make beautiful public artwork that poor people and little old ladies in the community can come to and identify with and enjoy. Make art that reflects what matters to the people. Make artwork that the people want, and love.

Candydook.jpg

15 hours ago, XSX said:

Congrats to all 

I feel the same way lol.... Lucky got accepted for MID program of RISD..I was hoping to get at least 50% fellowship to cover the tuition cost, so I would be able to make it by taking some assistantship and part-time jobs. However it did not turn out the way I hoped... the funding package barely helps, I have contacted RISD and pretty much there is a very low chance to get a raise. I am still sitting on my debts from my undergrad study to be paid, and I am stuck in this dilemma to think about it before April 15th... I need any insight, advice and thoughts as well... :(

On 3/13/2020 at 5:35 PM, MYJ2020 said:

Does anyone have experience asking the fa office for more funding or have any suggestions on how to negotiate with them? I’m not really satisfied with the funding package I receive right now but I’m not sure how to talk to them 

Same situation.. I emailed the department first to explain my concern of being unaffordable for the study cost based on my financial condition, then the head scheduled a video meeting with me to discuss the matter.. I just being honest with my financial pressure which I am still working to pay my undergrad debt.. more importantly, they asked me what my specific need of the amount, therefore they can arrange things IF THEY HAVE A CHANCE... I just being straight and ask politely for the amount that I could afford the study otherwise I cant do it and also state out my situation in detail..... but I felt like the chance for getting a raise is quite low for me...

best of luck!

5 hours ago, lilTR said:

I feel the same way lol.... Lucky got accepted for MID program of RISD..I was hoping to get at least 50% fellowship to cover the tuition cost, so I would be able to make it by taking some assistantship and part-time jobs. However it did not turn out the way I hoped... the funding package barely helps, I have contacted RISD and pretty much there is a very low chance to get a raise. I am still sitting on my debts from my undergrad study to be paid, and I am stuck in this dilemma to think about it before April 15th... I need any insight, advice and thoughts as well... :(

I am out of grad school now, and was posting here to try and get insight about residency applications.  So I have some understanding regarding financial aid appeals and eventual loans.  I appealed my package every single year of undergrad and grad school, and they always increased the aid, if not always by a lot.  So you really should ask if you have legitimate need.  I went to a 2-year program for painting, at a university with a lot of resources.  They offered EVERY grad student in the school of art substantially more grant money in their second year.  I think this is pretty common--you should ask.  Although they might not want to disclose this info, necessarily.  But it surely made year 2 a lot easier on all of us. 

Also, I wanted to mention looking into external grant options.  Now is the time.  There are a lot out there.  Do you fit into a category--are you a young parent; representational painter; Persian-American; child of veterans; etc etc?  There are also less-specific grants to be found.  It's worth the time to cruise around and apply for stuff rather than just waiting for the school to give you a little more aid.  Even just do a quick search on Submittable or something...it is worth it.

Lastly, I want to say that even though I pay student loans, and will do so forever, it was worth it.  Grad school was hard but I loved it, and nobody can take it away from you after you've got your degree (unlike, say, a house or a car which can always be repossessed).  You will be qualified to teach and perhaps work in art admin as a curator or similar.  It is horrible to sign your life away, but if you love the school you should maybe do it anyway.  Honestly.  Especially now when the future seems so bizarre and unknowable--you will have purpose, new skills, and eventually a valuable degree.

And for what it's worth RISD painting program seems wonderful.  I didn't go there, but I know people who did, and they did really well in the program and afterward.

Good luck, and let me know if you have heard from any residencies (jk, I'm sure they're all cancelled for this summer...goodbye application fee money)

4 hours ago, lilTR said:

Same situation.. I emailed the department first to explain my concern of being unaffordable for the study cost based on my financial condition, then the head scheduled a video meeting with me to discuss the matter.. I just being honest with my financial pressure which I am still working to pay my undergrad debt.. more importantly, they asked me what my specific need of the amount, therefore they can arrange things IF THEY HAVE A CHANCE... I just being straight and ask politely for the amount that I could afford the study otherwise I cant do it and also state out my situation in detail..... but I felt like the chance for getting a raise is quite low for me...

best of luck!

Also my tip for appealing the aid package: be serious but optimistic, polite, excited about the program, and do not whine or pout.  It is easy to whine or pout in this situation but you need to seem like a positive-minded, forward-thinking, mature person who is grateful for the offer and wants to make it work.  Not someone who has even the slightest twinge of resentment or self-pity (this was a challenge for me personally, as one of my big faults is painful class anxiety).  Pretend you haven't yet been admitted and are still trying to impress.  Dress well.  Don't tell a complex sob story.  Smile while you talk--you got in, things are looking up already, and they can hear the smile in your voice.  Good luck!

5 hours ago, lilTR said:

best of luck!

Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna send an email and see how it goes, hope you can get what you need too!

4 hours ago, oldwitch said:

Also my tip for appealing the aid package: be serious but optimistic, polite, excited about the program, and do not whine or pout.  It is easy to whine or pout in this situation but you need to seem like a positive-minded, forward-thinking, mature person who is grateful for the offer and wants to make it work.  Not someone who has even the slightest twinge of resentment or self-pity (this was a challenge for me personally, as one of my big faults is painful class anxiety).  Pretend you haven't yet been admitted and are still trying to impress.  Dress well.  Don't tell a complex sob story.  Smile while you talk--you got in, things are looking up already, and they can hear the smile in your voice.  Good luck!

Thank you and really appreciate for your experience and advice!!! It made me clear out my mind then try to seek out every possibility and resources to prepare me as much as possible to the grad study. 

On 3/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Bokonon said:

Hi XSX,  

I could have sworn that the full ride scholarships were open to painting students. I believe I discussed this specifically with multiple people, both teachers and students, in the RISD painting department. I would double check before you decide.

While I can't speak to your own situation, I certainly can relate to dealing with the school rejections. While I was accepted to RISD/SAIC/WashU I got rejected outright at Rutgers, UCLA, Hunter, and probably CMU. I also got an interview at Yale but was ultimately rejected.

I'd like to think my experience just shows how random and unpredictable admissions gets with MFA programs. The professors have to juggle their own artistic interests, make a cohort with a diversity of styles and subjects, and they also have to decide if they can imagine working with someone for two years after only talking for maybe 30 minutes during an interview. With all of these factors, the admissions process gets highly subjective and potentially flawed. When I'm down on myself about my results I forget this, but eventually I remember that I simply can't entirely know what's at play in the admission process. 

That was my understanding as well, but according to the painting department head for the graduate program, the painting department was not offered the society of presidential fellows award to give out/nominate this year. Which would have been great to know prior to applying and flying out there to do an interview. And I just double checked now to confirm. Maybe the full-ride scholarship was open at one point, prior to the grad committee selecting their 10 applicants, but right now it is not available. 

Is it more difficult to get accepted into a fully-funded university program than it is a "top-tier" astronomically expensive private art school program?

7 hours ago, rag124 said:

Any news from Columbia Photo? By now I am assuming waitlist/rejection since calls have been made to other disciplines...

Hey I'm applying for Columbia's sculpture program , they told me they will tell us decisions around mid March to early April. I talked to the admission office through phone, they didnt mention how they will tell us though... hope this help.

3 hours ago, XSX said:

That was my understanding as well, but according to the painting department head for the graduate program, the painting department was not offered the society of presidential fellows award to give out/nominate this year. Which would have been great to know prior to applying and flying out there to do an interview. And I just double checked now to confirm. Maybe the full-ride scholarship was open at one point, prior to the grad committee selecting their 10 applicants, but right now it is not available. 

Is it more difficult to get accepted into a fully-funded university program than it is a "top-tier" astronomically expensive private art school program?

Probably harder to get into “top tier” as more people want to get in.

22 minutes ago, fengderder1 said:

Hey I'm applying for Columbia's sculpture program , they told me they will tell us decisions around mid March to early April. I talked to the admission office through phone, they didnt mention how they will tell us though... hope this help.

8 hours ago, rag124 said:

Any news from Columbia Photo? By now I am assuming waitlist/rejection since calls have been made to other disciplines...

There could be a delay because columbia is rapidly shutting down its campus and the visual art studios and facilities . I don’t know why it would specifically impact photo (and I didn’t get an interview) but it could be causing a delay.

1 hour ago, fengderder1 said:

1 hour ago, Googlyeyes said:

There could be a delay because columbia is rapidly shutting down its campus and the visual art studios and facilities . I don’t know why it would specifically impact photo (and I didn’t get an interview) but it could be causing a delay.

Thank you both!! My agitation is caused by the fact that at the interview I was told interviewees would be contacted within the week. I am about to accept an offer so I want to make sure I am operating on a correct assumption ?