DAAD Scholarship 2020-2021

Nikita Kamboj

On 1/15/2020 at 6:44 PM, Jovka said:

Hi! Can you please join the facebook group (I posted a link above) because there are people there who wants to know! Thanks :)

I can, but only if people will give specific questions (because obvs Facebook is personal and I don’t want to get nagged) 

My DAAD Interview Experience (Nov 2019, Sydney DAAD)

I live in Perth (Australia) and had to fly to Sydney for my interview since our DAAD office was told they were not allowed to conduct Skype ones - it may be different for other countries.
I was told the typical interview is around 10-15 minutes - I arrived early so got to see the process seems to be little debrief as to who they are going to see, candidate goes in, discussion, candidate goes out, and they have a private talk all together. My interview was 20 minutes (Masters scholarship), and the man before me was around 10 (PhD visiting year). I was seen by 8 people, one from Bonn, one from the DAAD HQ in Sydney, and the other six were Humanities and Sciences scholars who were originally German but seemed to be working in the Eastern Australian States at the time.
I won't specifically recall questions I was asked because it's no use really rehearsing as such, but the general topics discussed were
  • What I had recently worked on, academically - so my field and what I want to do with it
  • My attitude to Germany - why that country, why those universities (be very very honest as to the whole 'free' education thing - they can smell a rat)
  • How I felt about big / small cities and languages
  • What I planned to research and what I was open about
  • My future plans
  • My motivations as a person for study, career and research (these were personal to my family and myself, so it helps to show who you are when they ask questions like this. Less of a dramatic narrative than little markers of your personality)
I've heard nothing yet, since we have to wait until late Jan / Feb to hear in Aus, but I think what worked was that I tried to be as honest as possible. I dressed comfortably and empowered, however silly that sounds, and used silly things I do to my advantage. For example, I have a habit of making snarky jokes when I'm panicking, so I let them out when they were appropriate to relieve the tension in the room and show that I'm half rate kind of funny - which they would remember!

From chatting to Germans on reddit and people who have been in their academic sphere, the key pointers are
  • No over buttering / being too nice - they like being straight to the point. Remember you've worked hard to apply, and that takes a lot of courage - so you appreciate the opportunity, but you're not beyond belief grateful
  • Honesty, honesty, honesty - I admitted that I hadn't looked up or couldn't remember looking up something I should. I knew they would've known if I lied
This is all I can think of that would be significant, but please feel free to ask any other questions you might have and I'll try to answer them!
Let the best parts of you shine - viel spaß und viel Glück!

On 1/16/2020 at 2:48 AM, Gyedu said:

Hello everyone! I see a lot of people are freaking out up here. This is the third time I am applying for DAAD PhD Grant so I suppose I have some experience. There are few things that some of you should probably take note of; 

1. 'Selection Made' and 'Pre-Selection Made' means nothing. This is how the steps work. Application Submitted then to Selection/Pre-Selection Made then to two options, either Funding or Application Rejected. Sometimes, it moves straight from Application Submitted to either Funding or Application Rejected WITHOUT seeing 'Selection/Pre-Selection Made'. Others may not even see a response on that section where 'Application Submitted' is for days. 

2. There is no need to panic especially at this time. 70 to 80% of the selection meeting will be done in Bonn in the first week of February. After that it takes several weeks, sometimes months for them to key in responses to all applicants. You can imagine, as a result of the number of application they receive in a year, require them to do a lot of work. Sometimes there are a whole lot of bureaucracy that needs to go along too (The father of Bureaucracy (Max Weber) is a German you know) including sending the results to your home country etc. 

3. Each and everyone of us is well qualified for a scholarship and its probably not an easy task deciding on as many qualified applicants as this one. Last year (or so) and guy was so pissed off for being rejected he started accusing DAAD of racism and all those stuff. It wasn't healthy. In order to prevent a complete breakdown I suggest you look for other options JUST IN CASE. If you are really interested in studying in Germany, you could look for other options in the form of scholarships from other foundations, own funding etc. That will help BELIEVE ME!. We are all gonna get a response but it will take some time. 

5. I wish all of us the very best of luck.

thanks for these informations. it's very informative and direct. it answered all of my queries.

best of luck to you as well!

On 10/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, Nikita Kamboj said:

I felt like it's time to start a forum for DAAD 2020. Who else just got finished with the application process for DAAD graduate scholarship? Is it just me or is it too soon to freak out about the waiting time for the results??

Does anyone know how many PhD candidates have applied for PhD DAAD scholarship from Iran? 

Hello everyone, 

Last week I received an email from the local DAAD office, saying that we won't have general interviews, but they will interview English speaking candidates that have some German knowledge to check their German language skills, to decide how much time the language course will take. The email also said that this interview will not affect the fate of the scholarship in any way. 

Has anyone attended this kind of interview? Are the questions Goethe test style, more personal or what?

14 hours ago, Rolland said:

Hello everyone, 

Last week I received an email from the local DAAD office, saying that we won't have general interviews, but they will interview English speaking candidates that have some German knowledge to check their German language skills, to decide how much time the language course will take. The email also said that this interview will not affect the fate of the scholarship in any way. 

Has anyone attended this kind of interview? Are the questions Goethe test style, more personal or what?

Hello roland. Good luck on your upcoming interview. what type of scholarship scheme you're applying for?

Edited by Greta Gonzaga

20 hours ago, Javid said:

Does anyone know how many PhD candidates have applied for PhD DAAD scholarship from Iran? 

I am also Iranian. I applied for PhD and my major is international law, how about you? I heard from a friend that 60 applicants got through the first round and were chosen for the interview, among them 15 individuals will receive the scholarship, so let's hope for the best.

3 hours ago, Abootaleb said:

I am also Iranian. I applied for PhD and my major is international law, how about you? I heard from a friend that 60 applicants got through the first round and were chosen for the interview, among them 15 individuals will receive the scholarship, so let's hope for the best.

Thanks for your reply. However, a friend of mine said that 30 candidates will be chosen out of 70 applicants who were interviewed. Last year 49 individuals were received the scholarship out of 159. 

33 minutes ago, Javid said:

Thanks for your reply. However, a friend of mine said that 30 candidates will be chosen out of 70 applicants who were interviewed. Last year 49 individuals were received the scholarship out of 159. 

I have applied for DAAD NaWam for waste management. My major is chemical engineering as well. 

18 hours ago, Javid said:

Maybe we should call the DAAD center in Tehran and check which account is closer to the reality. For now I just hope that your account of the story prevails.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, Ismail Adam said:

Good evening!

I have applied for Ph. D program, the deadline was last October and my status still application submitted, could you help me please what supposed to do?

Best Regards,

Ismail 

Hello!

I also applied PhD program scholarship, with the deadline in November and my status is the same - Application Submitted. I read on the last year's thread that for some countries it remained like that until the final decision was out. I don't think it's something to be worried about.

@lachasseuse Can you add me to the group as well?

On 2/3/2020 at 12:30 AM, Rawo said:

Please add me to the Group.

Hello! Tha GradCafe has a limit of just five people in a group conversation, so we created the Facebook group that everyone can join : )

On 1/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, Jovka said:

Hi guys, you can join the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2590558941178194/ where we are going to talk about the whole process and support each other. It is for DAAD Master Scholarships!