MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

46 minutes ago, jennnguy13 said:

Thank you so much for responding! This information was really helpful. If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit your application for both schools? For UMB, I sent it around the first-second week of Jan. For GMU, I sent it back in November but when I called in a couple of weeks ago, they said they implied that they start review on application deadline and that it will take about 8 weeks... GMU is making me thinking it's a lost cause at this point lolol

For FAFSA, as of this morning, they told me that the schools' financial aid office would tell me if I was eligible for any federal loans. For the unsubsidizied loan, is that something we sign up/apply for on the FAFSA website if we qualify for it? How do we get into the process of getting the unsubsidized loan?

I applied to GMU in early October and heard back mid October? Although once I inquired about further info, like class schedule, aid, email set up etc, they were very unorganized and virtually never got back to me. I crossed them off as an option a while ago - so I stopped following up. For UMB I applied early October (10/11) and Heard back mid Nov (11/22ish). 

As long as you fill the FASFA form out, you should be eligible for the general federal unsubsidized loan I mentioned. You do not need to sign up for anything specifically, as they determine what they can offer you and how many loans they offer. The one I mention is the the base one they offer to every grad student. If you want to know specific amounts, call your schools FASFA office and they should be able to tell you. Another loan FASFA can offer is called grad plus loan, but that one requires a credit check I believe. 

I think every U.S. Citizen qualifies for FASFA and certain eligible non-citizens.

Feeling frustrated as I still haven’t received my financial aid award info from Columbia yet and it has been two weeks since I was accepted. Is anyone else facing this problem? I imagine they are waiting for their first round picks to accept their packages before they offer aid to others?

35 minutes ago, NYCMSW2020 said:

Feeling frustrated as I still haven’t received my financial aid award info from Columbia yet and it has been two weeks since I was accepted. Is anyone else facing this problem? I imagine they are waiting for their first round picks to accept their packages before they offer aid to others?

Mine went to spam so make sure you check there, it’s a plain text email that gets flagged easily 

12 hours ago, RoseLewis said:

I applied BU in december and still have not heard back... I have seen several people get in. Isn't that weird??? 

call them because I wasn’t getting the emails from them which would include my decision they had to manually do it 

17 hours ago, NYCMSW2020 said:

Thanks for that advice. I checked my spam and nothing... I wonder what the motivation behind the delay is.

If it has been past two weeks you are allowed to email them: 

cssw-admit@columbia.edu and inquire about your award letter.

4 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Has anyone scheduled a visit with Penn? I can't figure it out on the website how I would do it. 

They don't really seem to offer a tour. I spoke with Mary Mazzola to try to arrange a tour. She told me that I could come there and meet her but they don't do tours. I did go there and do a bit of a self guided tour.

2 minutes ago, perfectamity said:

They don't really seem to offer a tour. I spoke with Mary Mazzola to try to arrange a tour. She told me that I could come there and meet her but they don't do tours. I did go there and do a bit of a self guided tour.

That seems to be the standard, which is sort of a bummer. I guess I'll do that ?