Harvard Kennedy MPP 2020

shrishti

6 hours ago, Jenjenlx said:

Congrats to everyone who got admitted! 

I got waitlisted, which is actually a pleasant surprise since I was expecting straight rejection.

A questions for admitted folks, when do you have to respond to your offer? Just trying to figure out a timeline here!

Just saw your new thread for folks waitlisted at HKS and, as a fellow waitlister, wanted to say thanks so much and also draw attention to it for others who might be looking for a spot to think things through.

@FraiserFanNYC @ch442 I’m in a similar situation. 20k per year from Harvard but 37k per year from Duke. So I’m wondering if the loan difference is worth it if I commit to Harvard. What factors are you both considering as you make this decision ? Also it’s crazy that they won’t negotiate even a bit or try to match other offers. 

1 hour ago, Anathema said:

I do. Acceptances from UChicago, Duke and Berkeley. You?

Congratulations! Great universities. When I asked my country office, they replied that the placement decision would come during Mid-April to End of May. Now that, I think, most of the universities have released their decisions, I would ask them again today. Let's see.

34 minutes ago, SodiumLight said:

Congratulations! Great universities. When I asked my country office, they replied that the placement decision would come during Mid-April to End of May. Now that, I think, most of the universities have released their decisions, I would ask them again today. Let's see.

Thanks. 

Yes, you should. Their policy on relaying university decisions to candidates apparently vary from country to country but yes the placement decisions ordinarily come in before mid-April. I say ordinarily because timelines might shift with Covid-19.

Which unis did you have on your plan other than HKS?

57 minutes ago, Anathema said:

Thanks. 

Yes, you should. Their policy on relaying university decisions to candidates apparently vary from country to country but yes the placement decisions ordinarily come in before mid-April. I say ordinarily because timelines might shift with Covid-19.

Which unis did you have on your plan other than HKS?

Yeah, slightly worried about how this entire thing pans out. So, the list of Universities had a mix of both- my choice and what IIE chose for me. Applications went to HKS, UMichigan, GWU, and Georgia Tech.

Hey everyone,

Got waitlisted for the MC/MPA so will be waiting alongside everyone else for a while longer! Is anyone who is accepted for the MC/MPA planning on deferring or declining and anyone have any ideas on the rates of people who come off the waitlist on any year? I know they don't release stats and it depends on a number of factors, just trying to figure more out. Thank you!

10 hours ago, MPAdreams2020 said:

Just saw your new thread for folks waitlisted at HKS and, as a fellow waitlister, wanted to say thanks so much and also draw attention to it for others who might be looking for a spot to think things through.

Hi! Can you share the link for this waitlist thread? I cant seem to find it - thanks so much

I was particularly touched by gesture of MPA/ID Director Carol who took the pain writing to me at the time of release of result that-

"As a Fulbright recipient, this message probably went to IIE on your behalf, so I wanted to alert you to the good news directly.

Congratulations and best wishes!".

So, technically, I did not need to wait for an email from local Fulbright office about my result; Carol informed me that I had made it!! 

Edited by spnfiim

3 hours ago, spnfiim said:

I was particularly touched by gesture of MPA/ID Director Carol who took the pain writing to me at the time of release of result that-

"As a Fulbright recipient, this message probably went to IIE on your behalf, so I wanted to alert you to the good news directly.

Congratulations and best wishes!".

So, technically, I did not need to wait for an email from local Fulbright office about my result; Carol informed me that I had made it!! 

Congratulations!! @spnfiim ??

Also, as a side-note: if any other admits want to connect outside of this thread, please skid right into my DM’s! 

Any international student with an admit to HKS (MPP) with no funding? What are you all thinking about the offer? I have an offer from Harris ($20k/year) on the table. Given Harvard's no reconsideration policy, is the prospect of taking on a loan too big a burden, even if it's Harvard?

Edited by AnoIchi

2 hours ago, AnoIchi said:

Any international student with an admit to HKS (MPP) with no funding? What are you all thinking about the offer? I have an offer from Harris ($20k/year) on the table. Given Harvard's no reconsideration policy, is the prospect of taking on a loan too big a burden, even if it's Harvard?

Yup - the most bitter sweet feeling. The financial burden would unfortunately be far too high for me and my family - and I really do value staying in the public sector so there is no way I could afford repayments on a loan that size. Thinking about what my options are at the moment but unfortunately I think there are very few. Anyone know of anyone that has managed  to secure funding after receiving an offer? I think I’d try anything at this point!

Just found out this blog existed and read the 33 pages haha, it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one completely stressed out by the CPL interview dates, the many results delays, and the fog of covid-related uncertainty. I got accepted to the MPA/ID with a Kennedy Fellowship! Looking forward to meeting all of you in August!

On 3/22/2020 at 3:08 AM, AnoIchi said:

I am in a similar position. Got 40k/yr from SAIS and 30k/yr from SIPA. No money from HKS. I am debating with myself now 

On 3/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, AnoIchi said:

Maybe you can ask Harris to reconsider their aid? 

Congrats to everyone already admitted and good luck to those on the wait list! I feel like while the stress of waiting is mostly over now, there is now the almost worse stress of making a decision!

I could just be completely blind, but did HKS send out information on a virtual admitted students day? I looked back at the emails and checked the HKS MPP website and have not seen any information on it. I am definitely hoping  they have one so that I can try to get a better feel for the program and school. 

Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, austintexan said:

I could just be completely blind, but did HKS send out information on a virtual admitted students day? I looked back at the emails and checked the HKS MPP website and have not seen any information on it. I am definitely hoping  they have one so that I can try to get a better feel for the program and school. 

I haven't received anything either....Hope they have one!

I have no official money from HKS (small external scholarship) and some money from NYU. Debating between the two but trying to think beyond money and consider which program will open more doors to better careers, networks, jobs specific to what I want to do...all of which will help have higher earning prospects in the future. Decisions, decisions!

Is anyone thinking about deferring a year due to COVID-19 and then reapplying for aid next year?

Edited by Coffeetea

16 hours ago, Coffeetea said:

I have no official money from HKS (small external scholarship) and some money from NYU. Debating between the two but trying to think beyond money and consider which program will open more doors to better careers, networks, jobs specific to what I want to do...all of which will help have higher earning prospects in the future. Decisions, decisions!

Is anyone thinking about deferring a year due to COVID-19 and then reapplying for aid next year?

My guess is that many people will be thinking along the same lines and will defer. So the competition next year would be much tougher. Some other thoughts – we can't even be sure that the Fall semester will start on time this year; it may get delayed or pushed online. Pretty sure that no one would want to spend a bomb and then take classes online for a semester (or more). I think universities may respond by reducing tuition in that case, and one also saves on living costs by being off-campus. Difficult decisions exacerbated by the uncertainty. But on the bright side, I think we're in a somewhat better position than current students, who don't really have a choice and are faced with a lot of uncertainty.