Harvard Kennedy MPP 2020

shrishti

9 minutes ago, polapp20 said:

MYFAID email is out! 

I also received the MYFAID email containing the instructions for setting up finaid account. Does everyone who applied finaid get this?

I know it says "receipt of this email should not be construed as providing any information on your likelihood of admission", but I'm just curious.

EDIT: checked previous years' results and apparently everyone got the email. lol

Edited by justaname

14 minutes ago, justaname said:

I also received the MYFAID email containing the instructions for setting up finaid account. Does everyone who applied finaid get this?

I know it says "receipt of this email should not be construed as providing any information on your likelihood of admission", but I'm just curious.

EDIT: checked previous years' results and apparently everyone got the email. lol

Yup everyone gets it haha. But it means they’re pretty close to sending out results right ? 

4 hours ago, justaname said:

I think we have at least two solid weeks to go

I wish they would just send out the rejections already! I know I won't get in but I can't relax until they tell me so! I already have a full ride at USC Price so I don't even need to worry about this one.

We've to wait for more than, or about, 325 hours from now for results!! Try to sleep as many hours as possible.. ? 

At the cost of repetition, my guess is that result should be announced on March 12, 2020 which is 100th day since application deadline, HKS's favorite day- i.e. Thursday (they keep Friday available for FinAid or any other additional updates) and exactly three weeks early than the MPP campus-visit day scheduled on April 3, 2020.  

6 hours ago, spnfiim said:

We've to wait for more than, or about, 325 hours from now for results!! Try to sleep as many hours as possible.. ? 

At the cost of repetition, my guess is that result should be announced on March 12, 2020 which is 100th day since application deadline, HKS's favorite day- i.e. Thursday (they keep Friday available for FinAid or any other additional updates) and exactly three weeks early than the MPP campus-visit day scheduled on April 3, 2020.  

Went through the MBA process last year (adding on an MPA dual degree through HKS). I can recommend video games to help deal with being in your head too much while waiting for decisions.

NOTE: I am *very* bad at video games, but I would just put them on the easiest mode possible and mash the sh*t out of those buttons. Honestly, the MBA admissions process was like 10x more anxiety inducing for me, so if anyone is feeling stressed, it helps! I feel like I turned into a pre-pubescent teenage boy for the months of waiting for decisions ? 

1 hour ago, panther213 said:

Went through the MBA process last year (adding on an MPA dual degree through HKS). I can recommend video games to help deal with being in your head too much while waiting for decisions.

NOTE: I am *very* bad at video games, but I would just put them on the easiest mode possible and mash the sh*t out of those buttons. Honestly, the MBA admissions process was like 10x more anxiety inducing for me, so if anyone is feeling stressed, it helps! I feel like I turned into a pre-pubescent teenage boy for the months of waiting for decisions ? 

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've worked in many high-stress environments, represented my country's government in official fora and done some military training, but I can't remember a moment when I've felt as much anxiety as waiting for THE e-mail. I might have to try your video game idea, maybe shooting zombies is going to do it...

Hey if you guys permit, can we discuss our plans until the decisions are out?

I got my Harris admit today with $20k. I was wondering about the decision making process when all my decisions are out....how are you guys planning to make your decisions? What considerations are you weighing? And where will an HKS admit fit into your plans?

I'm really sorry to digress, but I thought it'll be a good discussion to have until the day...

3 hours ago, indianIRguy said:

I got my Harris admit today with $20k. I was wondering about the decision making process when all my decisions are out....how are you guys planning to make your decisions? What considerations are you weighing? And where will an HKS admit fit into your plans?

I'm really sorry to digress, but I thought it'll be a good discussion to have until the day...

Not sure about how anyone else is figuring this out. I'm trying to make a huge career change AND I'm $95k in debt from my undergrad, so my situation is probably a lot different than everyone else's. I was planning on going to whichever school offered me the most $$$, and if it was engineering or public policy that's how I would move forward in my career... I got accepted to Georgetown MPP, no funding so I can't/won't go there. Same with Ohio State engineering. I'm waiting to hear back from Harvard MPP, University of Michigan MPP and engineering, all of which I am expecting rejections. My choices are then down to Michigan State for engineering and the University of Southern California MPP. I got full tuition + health insurance + a stipend at MSU, so obviously it is the most fiscally sound choice, but honestly, I hate engineering and I can't do this for the rest of my life. I got into USC on full merit scholarship, but I am really concerned about the cost of living + moving to LA... I'm 95% sure I'll be going there and NOT MSU. I guess I would go to HKS if I got a full tuition scholarship, but to be quite honest, I don't think I would be a good fit there and I am nothing like the typical student they admit! If I get an admit it will be a pleasant surprise, but I am fully expecting a rejection.

4 hours ago, indianIRguy said:

Good thing!!
I have applied for HKS, WWS, SIPA and Ford School. All decisions are expected in next couple of weeks so it’s simple for me to wait for all decisions and then select the optimal (not necessarily the best) course under applicable constraints and cost-benefit analysis. 

Even in your case, it is anyways advisable to know all your options clearly before taking decisions. So, please wait for some time unless you have a deadline which is earlier than expected date of other results.

36 minutes ago, rec1use said:

Not sure about how anyone else is figuring this out. I'm trying to make a huge career change AND I'm $95k in debt from my undergrad, so my situation is probably a lot different than everyone else's. I was planning on going to whichever school offered me the most $$$, and if it was engineering or public policy that's how I would move forward in my career... I got accepted to Georgetown MPP, no funding so I can't/won't go there. Same with Ohio State engineering. I'm waiting to hear back from Harvard MPP, University of Michigan MPP and engineering, all of which I am expecting rejections. My choices are then down to Michigan State for engineering and the University of Southern California MPP. I got full tuition + health insurance + a stipend at MSU, so obviously it is the most fiscally sound choice, but honestly, I hate engineering and I can't do this for the rest of my life. I got into USC on full merit scholarship, but I am really concerned about the cost of living + moving to LA... I'm 95% sure I'll be going there and NOT MSU. I guess I would go to HKS if I got a full tuition scholarship, but to be quite honest, I don't think I would be a good fit there and I am nothing like the typical student they admit! If I get an admit it will be a pleasant surprise, but I am fully expecting a rejection.

Tricky position.. I sincerely hope you get full ride at HKS. That’s the best possible outcome. Otherwise, I am sure financial consideration outweigh our preferences, so, you may have to choose a college where liabilities don’t go up further. 

1 hour ago, spnfiim said:

Good thing!!
I have applied for HKS, WWS, SIPA and Ford School. All decisions are expected in next couple of weeks so it’s simple for me to wait for all decisions and then select the optimal (not necessarily the best) course under applicable constraints and cost-benefit analysis. 

Even in your case, it is anyways advisable to know all your options clearly before taking decisions. So, please wait for some time unless you have a deadline which is earlier than expected date of other results.

Are the FB guys letting you choose the program you want to attend?

14 hours ago, Anathema said:

Are the FB guys letting you choose the program you want to attend?

I am sure we will have a say, given we meet out the additional financial requirement of desired course, if any. Otherwise, we may have to take what they offer.

last sentence of today's blog post:

"Changes in the status page prior to the release of decisions has no bearing on the final admission decision."

It might be true, but I won't listen. I will most likely theorize the shit out of any change taking place on the status page. Sorry, just can't help.

1 hour ago, justaname said:

last sentence of today's blog post:

"Changes in the status page prior to the release of decisions has no bearing on the final admission decision."

It might be true, but I won't listen. I will most likely theorize the shit out of any change taking place on the status page. Sorry, just can't help.

Where do we check the status of our application? The same HKS application portal?

Just now, rec1use said:

Where do we check the status of our application? The same HKS application portal?

Correct. In previous years, when the decision day approached, there were slight changes to status page. e.g. disappearing of instructional text etc. 

58 minutes ago, justaname said:

I applied to Carr but heard nothing. They don't do interviews, do they?

Haven't a clue. I think the description said "the selection committee may interview candidates".

MPA/ID applicant here. Did you guys get the email from Carol Finney saying MPA/ID is not on the list of JJ/World Bank scholarship partner programs this year? What a bummer. Does that mean it might be a preferred program instead?

Edited by misterrpiketty