2020 Acceptances

9 hours ago, DhuRaydan said:

Just received an automated e-mail from GPA admissions tonight for admission for 2020 in OSU NELC, I am very excited! But the automated e-mail did not mention anything about funding, and when I logged onto the portal there was not funding information available there either. Did you receive a separate e-mail about funding, health insurance, etc? 

Hey! Congrats and for the English department I did but I'm not sure if it'll be around the same in your department. The DGS said for English PhDs to expect at least what students received last year (a little bit less than $18,000 prorated across 9 months) and health insurance that is 85% already paid for. Someone else already said you'd get an email with stuff like that later but hopefully this helps and is relatively close to your funding offer! 

23 hours ago, DhuRaydan said:

Thanks for the information! I was freaking out cuz OSU is one of my top picks and I couldn't imagine being admitted without funding! 

Eek, I should have read your message more closely -- I somehow managed to skip over the part of your message that said you'd applied to the NELC program. Since that's an entirely different department, and individual programs determine how they run their grad admissions, I can't tell you how NELC conducts their admissions. I also don't know what their funding package is. I suspect it will be comparable to English's, but funding packages are set at the departmental level. 

Sorry for my screw-up!

14 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

Just learned by phone that I have been accepted to Washington University in St. Louis! I am absolutely thrilled!!!

6 minutes ago, VincentH said:

Oh my goodness!!! I just got a phone call from WashU, too! My first acceptance... I'm over here ugly-crying. Congratulations to you! Who knows - maybe we'll be future cohorts! :)

Now off to update my signature! haha

Congratulations!! Not just an acceptance but a phone acceptance--so exciting! 

Edited by caffeinated applicant
I congratulated too soon--edited to add VincentH as well!!

6 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

Just learned by phone that I have been accepted to Washington University in St. Louis! I am absolutely thrilled!!!

Oh my goodness!!! I just got a phone call from WashU, too! My first acceptance... I'm over here ugly-crying. Congratulations to you! Who knows - maybe we'll be future cohorts! :)

4 minutes ago, VincentH said:

Congratulations!!! Maybe I'll see you at the campus visit in February. :) 

36 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

28 minutes ago, VincentH said:

Congratulations to the both of you! Perhaps, I'll be seeing both of you around in the future. :)

9 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Congratulations on your two acceptances, @Cryss! It's wonderful to see you receiving good news.

Thank you so much!!! 

21 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Had my second video interview yesterday and it went so, so much better than the first! I feel really good about it and I'm glad I spent more time preparing and correcting for mistakes I made during the first interview. At the same time, though, the positive experience this time around really hit home how bad the first interview was. The faculty I talked with at this program were so much friendlier and more excited about my application. Ah, well – here we are.

Glad to hear you were more confident in your second interview. I think the interviewer matters as much as the interviewee in having a successful interview. Having someone who is friendly and seems genuinely interested in speaking to you instead of testing you/nit-picking would definitely have a positive effect on an interview. Still, hoping you're successful at both schools and that your work shines through. Don't beat yourself up too much. 

7 hours ago, ecogoth said:

Got accepted from Boston College today!! I've never known relief like this before

Congratulations! In at Boston College here too ? It's so nice to start off the season with an acceptance rather than a rejection.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

1 hour ago, VincentH said:

Got an email acceptance from the DGS at UC Davis yesterday! Details still pending but I’m so thrilled :) 

Congratulations, @StormChild @ecogoth @Indecisive Poet @Cryss !!! 

Congrats on UCD! I wish that program had been a good fit for me – I would loooove to live in Davis.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

2 hours ago, Lblack said:

I haven’t heard from the other two schools I applied to. This was my top choice, so I will be accepting. I’m a single mom and was hoping to stay local (I live in SoCal). I have several friends in the program. They accept in waves, so don’t give up hope if you’re waiting to hear from them. One of my friends was accepted in late March last year. 

Edited by Lblack