2020 Acceptances

I'm on a waitlist at a school that I am not interested anymore (got an offer that I'm almost 85% taking depending on if I get into other schools). What is the best language to use to email the school that I don't want to be on the waitlist anymore? Or should I wait until I have officially accepted an offer? 

I would imagine something like 'I'm honored, but I've decided to consider other offers' - perhaps worded a little less stiffly. It sounds quite tricky to phrase, but I think if you know you're not going to take a waitlist, it helps them out a lot (they can make another offer, they can possibly fly the person out for recruitment, etc). So they'd be default grateful for it. 

19 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

I would imagine something like 'I'm honored, but I've decided to consider other offers' - perhaps worded a little less stiffly. It sounds quite tricky to phrase, but I think if you know you're not going to take a waitlist, it helps them out a lot (they can make another offer, they can possibly fly the person out for recruitment, etc). So they'd be default grateful for it. 

okay that's a good idea, thank you!

1 hour ago, inchoate-eyes said:

I'm on a waitlist at a school that I am not interested anymore (got an offer that I'm almost 85% taking depending on if I get into other schools). What is the best language to use to email the school that I don't want to be on the waitlist anymore? Or should I wait until I have officially accepted an offer? 

As someone currently on a waitlist, my extremely-biased opinion is that if you're sure you won't accept there no matter what, letting them know ASAP is best :)

17 hours ago, timespentreading said:

As someone currently on a waitlist, my extremely-biased opinion is that if you're sure you won't accept there no matter what, letting them know ASAP is best :)

I'm not on a waitlist this round, but I think this is always the right answer. If you are 100% sure that you will not accept, there is no reason to wait. 

Yes; I think absolutely no one should feel obligated to rush any offer, waitlist or admittance - hell, take until April 14th if you need to! - but if you're sure, everyone benefits from you moving the process along.

Edited by merry night wanderer

Notified by email because, classic me, I do not have a working phone, but I'm "in" at Brown, and I say "in" because I've finally caught on to the fact that this is not real life but a very cleverly engineered simulation, y'all really had me fooled, please wake me up now. 

46 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Notified by email because, classic me, I do not have a working phone, but I'm "in" at Brown, and I say "in" because I've finally caught on to the fact that this is not real life but a very cleverly engineered simulation, y'all really had me fooled, please wake me up now. 

Oh lord, @meghan_sparkle, you’re really killing it. Can the rest of us get a lil’ dash of your sparkle please??

1 hour ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Absolutely nuts. But congratulations. Let us all have a bit of your magic.

As my flight home from my Northeastern pre-admissions visit was about to take off, I received an acceptance email from Tufts! I somehow managed to not shriek on the plane but I was definitely doing a happy dance in my seat. I am so insanely pumped and so extremely grateful! 

4 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Wow, congratulations! You’re clearly doing something right as I think your run is the most successful I’ve seen on these boards in my time here! Would you mind sharing your area of research? I know last year it was very helpful to know that about those who held multiple offers since they could obviously only go to one spot and, assuming most places offer the spot to someone in a similar area (not always the case), it gives those on waitlists an idea of if they might be moving up on the list or not.

3 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Wow, congratulations! You’re clearly doing something right as I think your run is the most successful I’ve seen on these boards in my time here! Would you mind sharing your area of research? I know last year it was very helpful to know that about those who held multiple offers since they could obviously only go to one spot and, assuming most places offer the spot to someone in a similar area (not always the case), it gives those on waitlists an idea of if they might be moving up on the list or not.

Sure! I've said this elsewhere but 20th century.

Just received my acceptance to NYU! The DGS emailed me instead of calling because I'm abroad. And I was in deep despair because I hadn't heard when other people posted acceptances! One of my top 2 choices and I'm over the moon. For those applying to NYU, don't lose hope! The decisions are still rolling out!

9 minutes ago, coffeelyf said:

Just received my acceptance to NYU! The DGS emailed me instead of calling because I'm abroad. And I was in deep despair because I hadn't heard when other people posted acceptances! One of my top 2 choices and I'm over the moon. For those applying to NYU, don't lose hope! The decisions are still rolling out!

Out of reactions for the day, but congratulations!