2020 Acceptances

3 hours ago, Ocean29 said:

Hello everybody, I'm new here but just got accepted into the Comp. Lit. program at CUNY.

I'm wondering if anybody has heard back from NYU and if they do interview candidates?

I applied only to these two schools but NYU has been silent since..

I was about to post asking the same thing! No news on my end either. I have several strong offers to Comp Lit and French programs, and I'm even going to be seeing an NYU faculty speak at a conference for another school's visit weekend, but have no news. lol No one has posted for NYU Comp Lit on the results forum. 

Edited by Coleslaw

4 hours ago, Coleslaw said:

I was about to post asking the same thing! No news on my end either. I have several strong offers to Comp Lit and French programs, and I'm even going to be seeing an NYU faculty speak at a conference for another school's visit weekend, but have no news. lol No one has posted for NYU Comp Lit on the results forum. 

It would appear that NYU has not sent out interview invitations yet, based on GradCafe and peers. I presume by next week, latest, they shall, although this is a bit late. However, a few years ago my understanding was that it was similarly late. 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:05 PM, Rrandle101 said:

I believe that it is just a thing Cornell does. I talked to my Latin prof about it and he said his wife had the same thing happen to her from there (she applied to the Comparative Literature department and was instead offered admissions at Hispanic Studies)

^I'm a current student at Cornell in Medieval Studies and can confirm, it's pretty standard around here for people they really want to admit and whose work could potentially fit in with multiple departments. It's a good way to stretch funding and lets them make a couple more offers every year. :) Congrats @Rrandle101! If you want to chat about the program I'm happy to talk with you via private message/email. 

4 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

a Times Literary Supplement mug I stole from the office when I interned there ... sorry Rupert Murdoch!

and did you nickname it the mugged mug yet?

19 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

this video is me ... the water = the abyss of indecision 

SAME. Also this is definitely not helpful, but I am insanely curious about where you’ll end up picking. I’m completely overwhelmed with three choices!! Literally cannot imagine more. 

1 minute ago, MedievalIllusions said:

SAME. Also this is definitely not helpful, but I am insanely curious about where you’ll end up picking. I’m completely overwhelmed with three choices!! Literally cannot imagine more. 

I AM ALSO CURIOUS ABOUT THIS

My initial thought would be that it'd be a bit like the scene in Fleabag where the therapist says, "You already know what you're going to do; everybody does"—that I'd just sort of ... know, instinctively? But no, not at all. 

1 hour ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I AM ALSO CURIOUS ABOUT THIS

My initial thought would be that it'd be a bit like the scene in Fleabag where the therapist says, "You already know what you're going to do; everybody does"—that I'd just sort of ... know, instinctively? But no, not at all. 

It might be silly, but maybe you’ll have a more defined moment of clarity when all your decisions are in? Right now you’re still sort of in limbo in a strange way. The acceptances you have don’t feel “real” in until you can put a check or an x next to *all* the ones in your list. 

I pledge allegiance

To the Susans*

Of the Princeton University English department

And to the novel

For which it stands ...

*Wolfson and Stewart obvs

---

Okay I'll stop now. My heart is being pulled in 10,000 directions and beating very fast because I wasn't expecting anything over the weekend but ... I just ... got in ... to Princeton.

I know it's obnoxious but I'm posting 1. For posterity, so people know this can happen 2. Because my entire family asked me repeatedly over Christmas "What will you do if you get rejected from everywhere?" and I was so terrified because I'd worked so hard night and day on apps I didn't have an answer. And while I was feverishly working on them an awful ex-boyfriend asked to "swing by and wish me luck" a few days before the deadline and walked into my living room to say "You know you're really not smart, right? You try to make it seem like you are but you just never ... produce much of anything" About that, luv. About that.

I felt like a loser for two years after a particularly shitty time during my masters, and I've struggled with having zero self confidence even longer than that. I have had embarrassing failures that made a huge dent in my ability to move forward. This? It can happen. Admissions is a wildly unfair process and I think more than anything I've just been incredibly incredibly lucky, but I lurked on these boards on and off for years thinking, "I'm too stupid, I'm a loser, this will never happen for me." For anyone who remotely fits that description reading this now or in future just please know that it can.

Edited by meghan_sparkle

(I think I posted this in the wrong thread?)

Coming out of heavy lurk mode (I feel like I know everyone here!? ?) to say that I was also admitted to Princeton today. I missed the phone call, but the DGS left a very nice voicemail and followed up with an email. 

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting to hear back! x

16 minutes ago, tansy, rue, root, & seed said:

(I think I posted this in the wrong thread?)

Coming out of heavy lurk mode (I feel like I know everyone here!? ?) to say that I was also admitted to Princeton today. I missed the phone call, but the DGS left a very nice voicemail and followed up with an email. 

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting to hear back! x

Congratulations! See you at visit days!!