2020 Acceptance Thread

Schrödinger's_Doge

9 hours ago, UndergradDad said:

Congrats platonetsocrate!

Any idea if all the acceptances are out at Stonybrook? It seems about a week early for them.

It looks like it's around the correct time for them (I mistyped the estimate as Jan 27 on the spreadsheet, but it would have been around the 24th based on past years so they're right on time).

Past years 2015-2018 (last year was on the 23rd as well):

February 4 W January 23 S January 28 S January 23 T

17 hours ago, UndergradDad said:

Congrats platonetsocrate!

Any idea if all the acceptances are out at Stonybrook? It seems about a week early for them.

8 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

It looks like it's around the correct time for them (I mistyped the estimate as Jan 27 on the spreadsheet, but it would have been around the 24th based on past years so they're right on time).

Past years 2015-2018 (last year was on the 23rd as well):

February 4 W January 23 S January 28 S January 23 T

For what it's worth, I have no idea whether any or all other acceptances are out. In my acceptance I was informed that I was nominated for an additional fellowship, which I mention just because I hear that sometimes those notifications come out earlier than others. 

Edited by platonetsocrate

43 minutes ago, UndergradDad said:

SO more general question: in what order do most schools do this: Send out acceptances first followed by waitlist and then rejections or is it all over the board on how they do it? Is it done in a trickle or all rejections for instance at once?

That's pretty much right. Waitlists are often (but not always) shortly after acceptances. Rejections can be a fairly significant wait depending on the programs. Since acceptance and waitlist emails are sometimes personalized, there can be a bit of a trickle, but usually it's all on one day. Occasionally it extends for a couple days. Rejections normally come all at once, since it's usually a form letter (some of which are better than others). 

Edited by Glasperlenspieler

2 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

That's pretty much right. Waitlists are often (but not always) shortly after acceptances. Rejections can be a fairly significant wait depending on the programs. Since acceptance and waitlist emails are sometimes personalized, there can be a bit of a trickle, but usually it's all on one day. Occasionally it extends for a couple days. Rejections normally come all at once, since it's usually a form letter (some of which are better than others). 

I'll add to this that some schools will release a round of rejections first before doing any acceptances, though I think this is a bit rarer than what's already been described. (For instance, Brown did a first round cut pretty early on last year, from what I can remember). 

18 minutes ago, FearNTrembling said:

Can anyone confirm receiving news from Michigan State? If we haven't heard something, should we solicit or is it still too early?

I was the first-on-the-WL notif in the results section! Got an email from Dr. Schwartzman on Wednesday night.

Posted this on the FB group but will also post here. I was shortlisted about a week and a half ago at both UC-Santa Barbara and Washington U. in St. Louis. For those confused about the 'shortlist' terminology, what they both said was that I am on a 'shortlist' of candidates for admission, and that it is too early to give out offers of admission, since those require administrative approval (from e.g., the dean of the graduate school). I take this to mean something like "you're in, but we can't officially tell you you're in."UCSB invited me out for a visit and will cover the flight/hotels/food, and WUSTL strongly encouraged me to apply for one of their university-wide fellowships (more dinero), and mentioned that they are recommending me for it once the application is complete.

On 1/24/2020 at 4:17 PM, Estudiante Graduado said:

Posted this on the FB group but will also post here. I was shortlisted about a week and a half ago at both UC-Santa Barbara and Washington U. in St. Louis. For those confused about the 'shortlist' terminology, what they both said was that I am on a 'shortlist' of candidates for admission, and that it is too early to give out offers of admission, since those require administrative approval (from e.g., the dean of the graduate school). I take this to mean something like "you're in, but we can't officially tell you you're in."UCSB invited me out for a visit and will cover the flight/hotels/food, and WUSTL strongly encouraged me to apply for one of their university-wide fellowships (more dinero), and mentioned that they are recommending me for it once the application is complete.

Congrats. How did you hear from them - email, phone call?

Oh, and re: WashU: did you apply to the PNP program, or the straight philosophy program?

On 1/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Congrats. How did you hear from them - email, phone call?

Oh, and re: WashU: did you apply to the PNP program, or the straight philosophy program?

Both were in email form. UCSB actually had an unofficial acceptance letter, while WUSTL was just an informal email from their chair. 

I applied to the PhD program!