2020 Acceptance Thread

Schrödinger's_Doge

On 3/12/2020 at 3:02 PM, philosophyofemomusic said:

Has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt? I see someone posted that they'd been asked to do an interview back in January, but nothing since then. I've also tried e-mailing them and got no response.

I was in touch for the DGS a while ago and they said that they had already sent out acceptances and waitlists. I also still haven't gotten any official decision regarding the application, but the DGS implied that if you haven't heard from them then your odds are at best very low. FWIW the DGS also mentioned that they're only looking to bring in three students this year

Edited by salmonroe

• 2 weeks later...

Effective 5:00 PM EST on April 6, CUNY GC will no longer be extending offers for admission to PhD programs (all depts, incl philosophy). This means that the wait list will be no more. If you've been offered admission and are decidedly not interested in CUNY, I highly recommend you communicate this to the committee today or early tomorrow. This allows the dept to extend offers to those on the wait list before the offer freeze goes into effect. 

The April 15 agreement is still in effect, those to whom offers have already been extended do not have to make a decision before the aforementioned deadline. If you're still somewhat seriously considering CUNY, then don't let this force you to make a snap decision. This is just a friendly request to allow waitlisted applicants their normally fair shake that is unfortunately being cut due to budget concerns arising from COVID-19. The interim president of the GC wants to keep this secret, so as to minimize cohort sizes and consequently future expenses. I think that's a bit scummy, and would rather let people know about potentially life-changing opportunities, especially in a time of unease like this. 

10 minutes ago, 711fanatic said:

Congrats! Also, I just finished Evangelion and now your username hits a lot different

I'm literally not even in Philosophy, just a lifelong fan of Evangelion (saw it as a child -- god help me), and I just dropped by to also say that that username is amazing.

Congratulations, @Ikari Gendo

1 hour ago, 711fanatic said:

Congrats! Also, I just finished Evangelion and now your username hits a lot different

1 hour ago, hamnet in tights said:

I'm literally not even in Philosophy, just a lifelong fan of Evangelion (saw it as a child -- god help me), and I just dropped by to also say that that username is amazing.

Congratulations, @Ikari Gendo

Much appreciated.

If you like Evangelion, make sure to watch Twin Peaks and Petscop.

The current situation caused by COVID-19 worries me, too. At the present, I have a funded offer and two waitlist spots (in fact, I've decline a funded offer and a waitlist spot). It's very probable that I will accept my present offer, but I dont't want to make a snap decision before getting any news from another two programs. (I'm sorry but another two programs are also my dream choices). 

So, should I sit to wait for possible news? Is it better to solicit the two programs and ask whether they plan to freeze admission off the waitlists? I'm concerned that my acts will cause some terrible consequence for me, though I realize that it may be a long shot that I could be admitted off the waitlist.

Edited by KarlX

29 minutes ago, KarlX said:

So, should I sit to wait for possible news? Is it better to solicit the two programs and ask whether they plan to freeze admission off the waitlists? I'm concerned that my acts will cause some terrible consequence for me, though I realize that it may be a long shot that I could be admitted off the waitlist.

It's completely reasonable to inquire about your chances at places where you've been waitlisted. In fact, as long as you do so respectfully, it may even help your chances of admission since it conveys interest. Moreover, given the uncertainty that's being caused by COVID-19, I think it is even more understandable for you to solicit information about these things. 

On 4/5/2020 at 8:28 PM, hamnet in tights said:

@hamnet in tights @Ikari Gendo

Anybody wanna help me pitch Evangelion and Philosophy to Blackwell?... (only 3/4 kidding...)

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

Anybody wanna help me pitch Evangelion and Philosophy to Blackwell?... (only 3/4 kidding...)

I'd be so down for that.......but imagine the travesty that would be Analytic Philosophy of Evangelion. 

Side note, is the Human Instrumentality Project the fabled analytic/continental synthesis?

Edited by 711fanatic

8 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

There is almost no analytic philosophy in the original series (the TV series + 2 movies), though I can see some connections with continental and eastern philosophy.

For the rebuild, we have to wait for the fourth movie.

Seriously though, if you ever write such a paper, let me know.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:14 AM, Ikari Gendo said:

There is almost no analytic philosophy in the original series (the TV series + 2 movies), though I can see some connections with continental and eastern philosophy.

For the rebuild, we have to wait for the fourth movie.

Seriously though, if you ever write such a paper, let me know.

@Ikari Gendo Oh, you underestimate the morbid imagination of analytics (yes, I know, #NotAllAnalytics, etc., etc.). For example:

• "Are the Magi Really That Wise? Rethinking the Superintelligent Leviathan"
  • "Who Counts as Human? On Evas and Dummy Plugs"
  • "Shinji's Final Vision: Possible World or Wishful Thinking?"
  • "Asuka's Epistemic Arrogance: Virtue or Vice?"

Or, to salute @711fanatic's intuition:

• Is Rei Really Rei? Gappy Existence and Kripkean Names

Examples could be multiplied ad nauseam/infinitum. (Yes, I'm being overly salty because it's fun.)

As for the analytic/continental synthesis, it has a name: Paul Ricoeur. *ducks*

This is not the place for this and this comment is irrelevant and annoying, and please don't neg me. But there is a paper out there called "Possible Girls," about (I think; I've never read it) how if modal realism is true, then there are actual worlds where lonely people have partners. 

https://philpapers.org/rec/SINPG

11 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

This is not the place for this and this comment is irrelevant and annoying, and please don't neg me. But there is a paper out there called "Possible Girls," about (I think; I've never read it) how if modal realism is true, then there are actual worlds where lonely people have partners. 

https://philpapers.org/rec/SINPG

"Hey TheFormOfTheGood I heard you got a girlfriend! What's her name?"

"You wouldn't know her... she's from another logically possible world."

Can anyone confirm receiving news from U Ottawa? It's April 15th already, should I just give up .... ☹️

Also, the deadline for winter term application is May 1st (for international students). Should I try and file another application now? ?