2020 Acceptance Thread

Schrödinger's_Doge

3 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Formal acceptance received from UT Austin. The stipend seems very low - $15,000 per academic year. Up to $200 'may' be reimbursed for a campus visit. Sadly, UT Austin's strengths, which I think are many, do not seem to include financial comfort for their PhD students. 

Same here. It’s really unfortunate!

4 minutes ago, Monkwee said:

If we haven't received any word from those schools that have had a few acceptances claimed on the results and fb pages (Berkeley, UCLA, etc.) should we cross em off the list or keep waiting? 

I’d cross them off your list. Others might say something about secret waitlists, but better to cross the schools off then be surprised if something happens to turn up. And honestly, even if you’re in a secret wait list, most schools don’t get to them most years. 

31 minutes ago, Olórin said:

I’d cross them off your list. Others might say something about secret waitlists, but better to cross the schools off then be surprised if something happens to turn up. And honestly, even if you’re in a secret wait list, most schools don’t get to them most years. 

very good points, thank you!

1 hour ago, Monkwee said:

If we haven't received any word from those schools that have had a few acceptances claimed on the results and fb pages (Berkeley, UCLA, etc.) should we cross em off the list or keep waiting? 

Keep waiting in the sense that you do not accept an offer from another program if there are schools that have not yet rejected you before April 15th that you might choose over some other school to which you have been accepted. People often receive acceptances in April, sometimes on the 15th or afterwards. 

Do not keep waiting in the sense that you hold out high hopes. But don't make it impossible or difficult to accept an unexpected offer, should one arrive. It happens.

15 hours ago, deep_field said:

OK San Diego people, spill the beans

I didn’t get anything from them either. 

It’s either (1) because I’m not the best fit for them and/or (2) because of how I responded to some of the questions on the application...damn that app was weird. I refused to answer the question about how I dressed and just said it was an inappropriate question. 

Great school, so still disappointing. 

49 minutes ago, Flossifer said:

Does anybody else have the feeling we are being trolled with all these acceptances from Stanford/Harvard/Mit/Princeton especially when someone just told us that MIT hasn't even looked at applications yet?

Harvard and Princeton ones are genuine, no idea about Stanford, and I'll be extremely surprised if the MIT one is real.

2 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Harvard and Princeton ones are genuine, no idea about Stanford, and I'll be extremely surprised if the MIT one is real.

FB has confirmed all four. Based on past histories of releases, they are all within the plausible range of acceptance release dates (the estimates on the spreadsheet can easily hop off by a week depending on when schools start back for their next quarter/semester)

5 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

FB has confirmed all four. Based on past histories of releases, they are all within the plausible range of acceptance release dates (the estimates on the spreadsheet can easily hop off by a week depending on when schools start back for their next quarter/semester)

Hm, fair enough. I had been told that as of Friday, MIT had not started looking at the files; but I don't know how long it would take them to start making decisions after starting.

5 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Hm, fair enough. I had been told that as of Friday, MIT had not started looking at the files; but I don't know how long it would take them to start making decisions after starting.

Where did you hear that?

Got an email from Indiana Univ. HPS saying that their admissions process is moving slowly, that I am one of their top applicants, and that they are trying to work out funding details. They asked if I am still interested in the program. I plan on telling them that, while I appreciate their generosity, I have already received four offers elsewhere...and so I would rather withdraw the app and give someone else a shot at a funded offer there.