2020 Acceptance Thread

Schrödinger's_Doge

1 hour ago, underlabourer said:

congrats. do you know if they sent out all offers at once? and was it by phone or email?

I'm not one of the people accepted, but according to the grad cafe results page (see here: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Philosophy&t=a&o=&pp=25) the two recorded U. of Cincinnati acceptances were sent out via e-mail.

13 hours ago, Self-ignorant said:

I can claim one of the U. of Cincinnati acceptances, and I think the other is claimed on the FB group!

also (last question): did you apply for traditional or life sciences track?

4 hours ago, energeia11235 said:

I'm not one of the people accepted, but according to the grad cafe results page (see here: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Philosophy&t=a&o=&pp=25) the two recorded U. of Cincinnati acceptances were sent out via e-mail.

thanks!

1 hour ago, ExtendedMind said:

Will you be accepting the offer from U. of Cincinnati? What is your AOI???

bump

-

congrats again on acceptance. seems like a very cool program/faculty.

Underlabourer, I believe UC may have sent out just the first bunch of acceptances, but that's based on the fact that I've only seen two acceptances posted so far. The acceptance was a direct email from their DGS.

My AOI is philosophy of mind and cognitive science.

I just checked my application and it shows that I applied for the philosophy PhD, but I am interested in the life sciences track. I can't remember what the application process was to apply for the latter, but given that my application specifies the philosophy PhD, it may be that either I didn't apply for the life sciences track directly or that it groups all philosophy PhD applications under one application title, in which case I could have applied for the life sciences track but it doesn't indicate so on my application. 

Thanks for the congratulations!

Edited by Self-ignorant

1 hour ago, yclruce said:

anyone received offers from Davis? two people in fb group claimed that they received the offers, but there is nothing in gradcafe, so I wonder.....

I am so anxious about this because I also apply to Davis...................

I can't claim one of the FB group offers, but I did receive an acceptance from Davis today via email (no word on funding, however). AOI is philosophy of science.

1 hour ago, deep_field said:

I can't claim one of the FB group offers, but I did receive an acceptance from Davis today via email (no word on funding, however). AOI is philosophy of science.

congrats! i hope i will receive the offer later....

8 hours ago, Self-ignorant said:

Underlabourer, I believe UC may have sent out just the first bunch of acceptances, but that's based on the fact that I've only seen two acceptances posted so far. The acceptance was a direct email from their DGS.

My AOI is philosophy of mind and cognitive science.

I just checked my application and it shows that I applied for the philosophy PhD, but I am interested in the life sciences track. I can't remember what the application process was to apply for the latter, but given that my application specifies the philosophy PhD, it may be that either I didn't apply for the life sciences track directly or that it groups all philosophy PhD applications under one application title, in which case I could have applied for the life sciences track but it doesn't indicate so on my application. 

Thanks for the congratulations!

thanks for so much info. here's hoping that we'll be studying together next year!

also, if i remember correctly, i only specified the desired track in my SoP... i do not think that there was an option to do so on the application proper.

Edited by underlabourer

4 hours ago, MacDev27 said:

Who has claimed the Toronto pure math PhD place? Any details on this? Dying to know more...

Congrats to everyone for getting in! -- Fingers crossed for everyone else

I hope this does not come as a shock, but: you seem to have found yourself stranded amongst philosophers.  (Potential outcomes: (1) Full-blown conversion (once you get a taste for the good (philosophical) stuff, there's no going back), (2) Mental disintegration (as a pure math person, you'll probably avoid this less-than-savoury option, having already passed the thinking-abstractly test), (3) Rebellion (how great would a movie about a group of mathematicians trying to overthrow a philosopher-king-run society be?).)

You're (more than) welcome to stick around (there's some delicious Kool Aid coming around later...) but you probably won't get any answers to your questions here (no answers to either math-PhD related questions or really any other ones—we are philosophers after all...).

Jokes aside, best of luck in your graduate application season! (See here for the math and stats forum: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/48-mathematics-and-statistics/)

Edited by energeia11235

Someone has posted an acceptance for the PhD programme in philosophy at KCL -

In the hope that this message finds them: I have an interview with them in a couple of weeks and would kindly like to ask what to expect from it?

9 hours ago, energeia11235 said:

I hope this does not come as a shock, but: you seem to have found yourself stranded amongst philosophers.  (Potential outcomes: (1) Full-blown conversion (once you get a taste for the good (philosophical) stuff, there's no going back), (2) Mental disintegration (as a pure math person, you'll probably avoid this less-than-savoury option, having already passed the thinking-abstractly test), (3) Rebellion (how great would a movie about a group of mathematicians trying to overthrow a philosopher-king-run society be?).)

You're (more than) welcome to stick around (there's some delicious Kool Aid coming around later...) but you probably won't get any answers to your questions here (no answers to either math-PhD related questions or really any other ones—we are philosophers after all...).

Jokes aside, best of luck in your graduate application season! (See here for the math and stats forum: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/48-mathematics-and-statistics/)

Oh man, I'm sorry -- thanks for the heads-up! I'm a logician, so I might enjoy some of the Kool Aid... good luck everyone, and thanks for the link!