Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 1/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, stressedha said:

Counseling or Clinical? I received a rejection from Kentucky (counseling) in late December. Should be a good sign for you!

Gotcha, I'm sorry I was referring to their clinical program! Sorry to hear about the rejection but I'm sure another program will work out :)

14 hours ago, PhD1Day said:

Has anyone heard back from Ohio University? I had a zoom interview last week and I’m starting to freak out...how long does it take for a program to let you know their decision? 

I received an official invite in December but no preliminary interview, although I am assuming we have different PIs (mine is JS) with such different timelines. The official interview day is coming up very soon - 1/22/2021. For a different program I had a prelim interview and did not get the official interview until 6 days later. I hope that helps & good luck! 

3 hours ago, babyyoda said:

Gotcha, I'm sorry I was referring to their clinical program! Sorry to hear about the rejection but I'm sure another program will work out :)

Congrats on getting an interview with MW! He was in my top 3. Looks like we applied to similar programs. I have not heard from Kentucky and I applied to JK. Their interview day is 1/30 so I have assumed rejection. 

Like many of you here, I'm also feeling frustrated not hearing from any of the schools I applied to, although I am assuming Temple and Drexel is out for me since I've seen interview invites for my POI at Drexel have gone out and I didn't receive one and for Temple, their website states all interview invitations have been sent out. Has anyone applied to Rowan and heard from them for an official interview invite?

For those students who do have an MA what are your plans if you don't get into a program this year?

30 minutes ago, PsychMomOf2 said:

Like many of you here, I'm also feeling frustrated not hearing from any of the schools I applied to, although I am assuming Temple and Drexel is out for me since I've seen interview invites for my POI at Drexel have gone out and I didn't receive one and for Temple, their website states all interview invitations have been sent out. Has anyone applied to Rowan and heard from them for an official interview invite?

For those students who do have an MA what are your plans if you don't get into a program this year?

I have no idea... I guess try again perhaps. I see you have kids too :) I have 3 kids as well so it’s not like im starting this right out of undergrad... at this point I already have a masters and I am working as a mental health counselor. I also work in a research lab (unpaid). I want to say I will keep trying until I get it, this is my first year applying, but I’m really worried with the GRE being back next year my chances will be even lower :( 

8 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

I have no idea... I guess try again perhaps. I see you have kids too :) I have 3 kids as well so it’s not like im starting this right out of undergrad... at this point I already have a masters and I am working as a mental health counselor. I also work in a research lab (unpaid). I want to say I will keep trying until I get it, this is my first year applying, but I’m really worried with the GRE being back next year my chances will be even lower :( 

Me either! I am a career-changer and have my MBA and soon MA. I'm working on a research project now, but besides that project, my MA school work and the work I do with a psychology association, it is all I have in this field, although I did a ton of research (non-clinical psychology) in my previous career. I am terrible at standardized tests and also worried about the GRE being a requirement again. And having kids while doing this makes it harder for sure! Kudos to you for doing this as well with children! 

On 1/16/2021 at 2:02 AM, sanna927 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota's developmental-clinical program?

I've also applied to UMN counseling PhD. UMN's breaks usually get over a week later than other programs. I work in a research lab there, and UMN will start functioning from 19th(Tuesday). I am assuming that they will start communicating after that. 

15 hours ago, PsychologyCat said:

Congrats on getting an interview with MW! He was in my top 3. Looks like we applied to similar programs. I have not heard from Kentucky and I applied to JK. Their interview day is 1/30 so I have assumed rejection. 

Thank you! And yes I applied to JK at UK as well! I got an email that my application was under review but have heard nothing since then. Good luck with the rest of your apps!

52 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

Anyone else apply to New York/NJ programs and knows more about timeline? (specifically Pace, Fordham, Rutgers, LIU and Yeshiva)? 

I applied to Fordham and haven't heard about if I got an interview but they sent out an email saying if you got an interview you'll know by January 19th

5 hours ago, PsychMomOf2 said:

I applied to Rowan and have not heard back yet, but I think they will be starting to review applications next week.

I already have an MA and will probably look for a research job. The other option is perhaps taking up training in ABA. At least in my location, places seem to be desperate for ABA therapists right now and I am seeing a lot of places that say that they will train you. Some even only require a BA and no previous ABA experience. It's not necessarily something that's related to my exact interests but it will keep me working in the psychology world and if I'm able to be trained / certified then that's even better for the CV. Only other concern is that some of these ABA jobs require you to travel and do house calls which is a bit scary during COVID.

15 hours ago, PsychologyCat said:

I see people posting things like: "this program interviews X number of people and accepts Y number". How do you know these things? ?   I haven't seen that info on my program's sites. 

Some schools in their rejection letters/interview emails have been saying "We received x applications this year!" which is one way people are finding out, and then some schools just already have it there on their program website. You should be able to see how many people are at least accepted to the program for all APA-accredited programs as they have to report that number as a requirement in their outcome data.

Speaking of back-up plans, what are folks' thoughts on applying as an RA to a lab that you had previously applied to but were ultimately rejected? Is this seen as being in poor taste? I was a final candidate for an amazing lab last year but ended up missing out, but I see they're hiring again, and given the way this cycle is going I'm growing interested again...bit worried about how it would look if my name showed up again however. ?

Edited by EileanDonan

20 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Speaking of back-up plans, what are folks' thoughts on applying as an RA to a lab that you had previously applied to but were ultimately rejected? Is this seen as being in poor taste? I was a final candidate for an amazing lab last year but ended up missing out, but I see they're hiring again, and given the way this cycle is going I'm growing interested again...bit worried about how it would look if my name showed up again however. ?

I don’t think it will hurt you at all! It’ll show the PI that you’re interested still and they might recognize the name :) I say go for it! 

7 hours ago, PyschMama said:

Anyone else apply to New York/NJ programs and knows more about timeline? (specifically Pace, Fordham, Rutgers, LIU and Yeshiva)? 

I also applied to Rutgers + Fordham and interested in hearing more.