Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

5 minutes ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

Has anyone else found that their work motivation has taken a serious plunge during this process? I can't tell if the two are directly connected or not, but since all the anxiety of rejections and waiting to hear back really hit, I've been so much less driven in my RA job. Part of it is I think general WFH exhaustion and because I'm in a lab where I'm constantly overworked, especially the past few months (part of why I'm stressed about alternative options if I'm rejected everywhere- my brain cannot feasibly stand another year at this lab), but the waiting game certainly does not make dealing with that any easier ?

Hey, I really feel this. This started happening to me the last couple of weeks. Feeling discouraged from lack of responses and awaiting rejections makes me less motivated to work for sure. On top of that, things have changed at my work and I've taken waaay more responsibility which stresses me plus personal life stuff added on to it. Idk if you work with a supportive/friendly team, but maybe you could mention feeling overwhelmed/stressed? I did that last week and I am grateful I did because my PC was able to delegate tasks and have discussions with me that i really needed. I'm so sorry to hear that you can't stand being in the lab for another year. :( That's hard. Maybe you can apply to other labs?

6 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Is anyone else worried about required GRE scores resuming next cycle? I know a few programs have already waived them for '22, but there's sill so much ambiguity.

5 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Yes, I am terrified. I took the GRE in the height of the pandemic and scored terribly and don’t have the resources to take it again. I’m REALLY hoping the programs continue the trend of eliminating it from their requirements. What other programs have eliminated it? All I know of so far is Stony Brook and UF.

5 hours ago, PyschMama said:

I truly hope so too.. I really wish they would get rid of it entirely. It's such a useless indicator of your success as a grad student.. researcher and clinician. It's also biased and flawed and elitist on top of that.

I agree the GRE is useless... I think it needs to really be brought to light.

I was almost down 1k just trying to take the GRE, travel for it, get materials, and get an assessment from various doctors to get the disability accommodations. My current documentation through disability services wasn't enough. On top of that, they do not let disabled students register until after the forms are approved for accommodations, which can take even more months. So the whole process for me took almost 8 months, and by that point the registration slots were almost all filled. There was only 1 slot left to take the GRE in time for program deadlines-- I had to travel 2 hours away for the only availability at 7 in the morning. It was the only slot open for the next few months. There's another catch: the forms have to be from within a 12 month period, so by the time the process was done and the test could be scheduled, the 12 month period was almost up. So I'd have to redo the assessments again.

I pulled an all nighter because I had to leave me house by like 4 AM, hardly functioned, and didn't receive my full disability accommodations. ETS skimps on accommodations and calls certain accommodations "standard" to accelerate the review process. Of course it's their pre-determined standard and not my standard from what my doctor determines. I would have missed the program deadlines otherwise because anything more than their "standard" will take longer to review, which is what I qualified for. If anything more than their "standard" is rejected, then you have to redo the process all over again. I was forced to not take the risk and opt for half of the accommodations I've been getting in school for 5+ years because everything took so long, despite me starting the process in the early spring. I most likely would have been accepted for the full if the process wasn't so long. It gets worse and worse the more I describe what happened. And... I was sick during it. I had to stop in the middle to take an antibiotic. ? I had a 3 year long infection that wouldn't go away, so I was very sick. To think I could go into even more examples of how the GRE is nothing but a useless created barrier.

Mind you, I have a 4.0 GPA, 3+ years research, 9 scholarships, a research grant, 3 years teaching college level, and a ton of other things I don't want to go into. My GRE verbal and quant was dreadful. All of this and you look at one day? 

I just think about all the people who have these dreams and worked so hard and long only to face unfair barriers that could get them automatically thrown in a pile where they aren't even considered, and it breaks my heart. It has clear social class, gender, disability, and ethnicity biases. Many programs are indeed discussing this year as a "trial" to see if it will remain optional. We will see how seriously they take their "diversity" claims. They claim they support diversity then weed out more disabled and BIPOC students this way than they seem to care. People may try to claim I am an "outlier" because I am such a strong applicant and did so bad. First, does that mean it's okay to keep doing this knowing it impacts certain oppressed or underrepresented groups because "oh it's just a few people!"?? Second, it is less of an "outlier" problem and more that it literally has processes built in that weeds out certain types of people based on money, disability, accommodations, the set up, etc. regardless of qualifications. It's not "just a few" at all.

The fact that they are suddenly doing something about it during a pandemic and that it took this long is also frustrating. It's like they suddenly cared the moment everyone else had difficulty taking it but didn't when certain groups have always faced barriers like this. If anyone from a program is reading this who can take a stand for underrepresented and oppressed groups, do it. 

Edited by K3lD1Psych

2 minutes ago, K3lD1Psych said:

I agree the GRE is useless... I think it needs to really be brought to light.

I was almost down 1k just trying to take the GRE, travel for it, get materials, and get an assessment from various doctors to get the disability accommodations. My current documentation through disability services wasn't enough. On top of that, they do not let disabled students register until after the forms are approved for accommodations, which can take even more months. So the whole process for me took almost 8 months, and by that point the registration slots were almost all filled. There was only 1 slot left to take the GRE in time for program deadlines-- I had to travel 2 hours away for the only availability at 7 in the morning. It was the only slot open for the next few months. There's another catch: the forms have to be from within a 12 month period, so by the time the process was done and the test could be scheduled, the 12 month period was almost up. So I'd have to redo the assessments again.

I pulled an all nighter because I had to leave me house by like 4 AM, hardly functioned, and didn't receive my full disability accommodations. ETS skimps on accommodations and calls certain accommodations "standard" to accelerate the review process. Of course it's their pre-determined standard and not my standard from what my doctor determines. I would have missed the program deadlines otherwise because anything more than their "standard" will take longer to review, which is what I qualified for. If anything more than their "standard" is rejected, then you have to redo the process all over again. I was forced to not take the risk and opt for half of the accommodations I've been getting in school for 5+ years because everything took so long, despite me starting the process in the early spring. I most likely would have been accepted for the full if the process wasn't so long. It get's worse and worse the more I describe what happened. And... I was sick during it. I had to stop in the middle to take an antibiotic. ?I had a 3 year long infection that wouldn't go away, so I was very sick.

Mine you, I have a 4.0 GPA, 3+ years research, 9 scholarships, a research grant, and a ton of other things I don't want to go into. My GRE verbal and quant was dreadful

I just think about all the people who have these dreams and worked so hard and long only to face unfair barriers that could get them automatically thrown in a pile where they aren't even considered, and it breaks my heart. It has clear social class, gender, disability, and ethnicity biases. Many programs are indeed discussing this year as a "trial" to see if it will remain optional. We will see how seriously they take their "diversity" claims. They claim they support diversity then weed out more disabled and BIPOC students this way than they seem to care. People may try to claim I am an "outlier" then because I am such a strong student and did so bad. No, it literally has processes built in that weeds out certain types of people based on money, disability, accommodations, etc. 

The fact that they are suddenly doing something about it during a pandemic and that it took this long is also frustrating. It's like they suddenly cared the moment everyone else had difficulty taking it but didn't when certain groups have always faced barriers like this. If anyone from a program is reading this who can take a stand for underrepresented and oppressed groups, do it. 

This, this, and all of this. So sorry to hear about your experience. I agree, it’s so frustrating to see faculty boast about taking diversity seriously when they have a direct barrier that disadvantages BIPOC & disabled students. Like, if you want diversity, maybe eliminate the strongest barrier first? It’s beyond frustrating. While I’m glad that programs are starting to do away with it, some haven’t... even in this pandemic (Looking at you, UConn). It’s ridiculous. 

28 minutes ago, clinical_sike said:

I agree. I consider myself a competitive applicant, however, I was set up to fail the GRE. I struggled with addiction in high school, which meant that I also struggled with my education during these years. Basically, I did not fully comprehend the core information presented on the GRE since it is primarily based on high school math and [kind of] english. I was psychologically unwell/not present during the time that these lessons are taught. I do not believe GRE is an adequate predictor of intelligence or success in graduate school, considering how well I have succeeded in undergraduate studies.

You are definitely not alone in this. I was a D, C, B student in high school and reviewing the GRE felt like a nightmare trying to learn basic math concepts for the first time. The test is a detriment to many people, including ESL students.

21 minutes ago, sanna927 said:

Hey, I really feel this. This started happening to me the last couple of weeks. Feeling discouraged from lack of responses and awaiting rejections makes me less motivated to work for sure. On top of that, things have changed at my work and I've taken waaay more responsibility which stresses me plus personal life stuff added on to it. Idk if you work with a supportive/friendly team, but maybe you could mention feeling overwhelmed/stressed? I did that last week and I am grateful I did because my PC was able to delegate tasks and have discussions with me that i really needed. I'm so sorry to hear that you can't stand being in the lab for another year. :( That's hard. Maybe you can apply to other labs?

Thanks, that sounds like what happened for me too! I'm currently literally the only RA in the lab right now, so basically everything ends up falling on me due to poor management. It's definitely a great experience to work at a prestigious place producing a lot of new research, and I feel as though I've learned so much about the research process, but it sucks when I'm doing it for grad school experience and grad schools don't even seem to want me! I'm at the point where if things don't work out, I may start looking for work at other labs. Looks like it may be time for a switch :) 

Just now, bubbles27 said:

Anxiously waiting to hear from UNC Chapel Hill - CUDPC noted that today is their interview invitation deadline. Does anyone know what time they would send out these emails? / Has anyone gotten one yet? 

ME! I have been lurking in the forums and finally made an account. At the risk of sounding like a weirdo, we have a lot of POIs in common. I have emailed MH at Chapel Hill and haven't received a response. I interviewed with him last year at Penn State.

41 minutes ago, eloisetheapplicant said:

Has anyone heard back from Clark University Clinical Psych PhD or Fordham Counseling PhD about interviews?

Hi, I'm still waiting on Fordham (clinical) but I received an invite from Clark (clinical) last night. Feel free to message for POI. Good luck!

Edited by FingersCrossed58

54 minutes ago, eloisetheapplicant said:

Has anyone heard back from Clark University Clinical Psych PhD or Fordham Counseling PhD about interviews?

15 minutes ago, FingersCrossed58 said:

Hi, I'm still waiting on Fordham (clinical) but I received an invite from Clark (clinical) last night. Feel free to message for POI. Good luck!

I haven't heard anything from Fordham either, but they sent an email saying they are aiming to have emails for interviews out by the 19th. Good luck, everyone! 

6 hours ago, ResilientQueen said:

Has anyone gotten an interview this cycle with an average stat in some area (i.e lowish GPA but good research experience?). I know the programs said they will look at us holistically, but self doubt is definitely creeping in. It would be great if someone can affirm they received an interview/interviews and aren’t an absolute superstar in every area ?

Hey! So my GPA is way below average, my verbal GRE is average and quant is above average, and my research is above average 

this is my second cycle applying and I’ve gotten a handful of interviews so don’t lose hope! 

1 hour ago, eloisetheapplicant said:

I am also waiting on Fordham. I have two friends who are currently in the program and they told me they heard super late when they applied + apparently there’s some internal stuff going on so things are taking longer. They didn’t give me a specific timeline as they didn’t know but I would guess earliest last week of January. 

7 hours ago, plantgirl96 said:

has anyone else gotten an invite from univ of southern cali? do we think they're still rolling them out?

Hey! Californians mostly don’t say “Cali,” and USC is notorious for its pretentiousness so if you get accepted and go there (good luck, btw!) I would advise against saying “Cali.” When Californians refer to Southern California, we call it “SoCal,” but USC is just referred to as USC.

5 hours ago, plex091 said:

Hey everyone, sorry for the repetitive question, has anyone heard from Rutgers PsyD program?

Not yet ? I’m thinking we’ll hear late this month, based on previous years’ results posts. 

14 minutes ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

Hey! Californians mostly don’t say “Cali,” and USC is notorious for its pretentiousness so if you get accepted and go there (good luck, btw!) I would advise against saying “Cali.” When Californians refer to Southern California, we call it “SoCal,” but USC is just referred to as USC.

I second this! I'm a Bay Area native, and I know that someone isn't from here if they say "Cali." If you get into USC just sprinkle in "hella" here and there, and you will fit right in.

Just now, Gavindorf said:

Why do people post the incorrect interview dates for programs ??‍♀️ like I got the same email buddy and the interview sure isn't on that day! Even on the invites thread, not just the results page.

Either it was a mistake, or people are trolling. There’s been a lot of that on the results page